When A Rat Rod Is Not a Rat Rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When A Rat Rod Is Not a Rat Rod

People seem to want to dump things into a simple category. Easy terms, easy to understand. People see a hot rod with a different style build covered in surface rust, it's automatically dumped into the Rat Rod category. Sorry kids, this one ain't no rat rod. It's a hot rod through and through, built on a low budget with ingenuity and creativity instead of a lot of cash buying neato billet things out of a catalog.

I met Jarrod Bluel Thursday night during the BBQ at Midway Chevrolet, part of the Kearney Cruise Nite festivities when he rolled into the dealer lot in the long and insanely low hot rod. I knew this was no rat rod. Sure, the 1931 Willy pickup cab is covered in surface rust, but there is a lot of high tech work hiding in plain sight. From, the tubular A arms with coil over shocks up front to 22 feet behind it with the mid '70's Jaguar rear differential holding up the back.

In between, is custom frame made from 2x3 square tube frame Z'ed and C'ed or whatever that drops the bottom of the cab with 3 1/2 inches of the ground. No speed bumps for this buggy. Nope.

Typical of this area of the country, farmers hoard everything until they die, then their families sell off everything. Jarrod didn't exactly say where he found the '31 Willy pickup, but in the land of farmers and pickups, I don't think he had to travel far to get it. It's pretty straight and rust free, minus the paint being baked off of it. He did chop the top a few inches Inside are couple of comfy looking seats stolen from a minivan at the local Walmart and a shifter guaranteed to make the most hardened car thief to say "Screw This". The dash is custom aluminum panel with vintage style gauges.

Behind the cab is the '76 Caddy 500 engine with TH400 trans tied to the genuine Jag rearend out of a junkyard '70-something sedan. There are custom exhaust manifolds connected to large tube exhaust stacks. Despite the seemingly lack of mufflers, the Willys has a surprisingly low grumble when the big pedal gets pushed to the floor. Behind the big Cad V8 are two tanks that are the fuel tanks.

Under the hood of the Willy's is the radiator connected to the engine by copper pipes that fell out of the back of the local's plumber's van. The big electric fan was probably another junkyard score. Who cares? The factory fans may not have the bling factor, but they work great. The power brake booster and master cylinder are under there too with the world's longest vacuum line connected to the Caddy's Quadrajet carb. But that still doesn't leave a lot of room for the groceries. Oh well. This wasn't built to go shopping at the big box store.

Still think this is a rat rod? No it doesn't have twenty dead cows worth of leather in the interior. No it doesn't have $20 grand in fancy, jelly bean colored paint, No, there isn't two tons of billet aluminum whittled down to door handles and throttle brackets. But this does have is ton of cool ideas built by Jarrod's own hands not spending his kid's trust fund. Nice job.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

interesting build. Not for me but can appreciate the out of the box thinking and craftsmanship that went into building it...People need to lable things, it is some sort of deep rooted need that I dont quite get...Jocks, Nerds, Preps, Rat Rods, Billet Rods, black, white, yellow, brown....whatever...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Agreed ... Hot Rod not Rat Rod.

Comment

This one defies labeling, pretty well. Looks like it's set up to handle like a go kart, and look like an old truck (sort of). Lots of ingenuity.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That is some cool stuff, build it and leave it be, run it anywhere and have a ton of fun.

Nebraska has far more to offer in the automotive world than most will ever realize. Im thinking I need to find a crappy Jag somewhere and borrow shit off it.

Comment

Nice Hot Rod! I spent a few minutes looking at all the detail. You can bet your bottom dollar a lot of engineering went into it such as the front end. It made me think of a Nissan pickup from the 90's I saw at the local cruise spot. Looked like a real pile but something was funny about the grill.The dude built his own 3x2 frame with a WRX drive train. He didn't have a floor in the bed so you could see everything. Everything was very professionally done, a real work of art. Thanks for posting this Scott.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

To me, that one seems to be an excellent example of what rat rods ought to be. It's not shiny, it's not period correct - but it was clearly built by someone who wanted to go faster instead of trying to make it as visually offensive as possible. Well done.

Comment

1) I don't think "rat rod" is necessarily a pejorative term. 2) Mr. Bluel's creation absofrigginlutely pisses extreme excellence.

Comment

Cool write up Scott, thanks for sharing. I agree, hotrod
                  Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Comment

Wonder why my car shows up in links.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                      Nice Hot Rod! I spent a few minutes looking at all the detail. You can bet your bottom dollar a lot of engineering went into it such as the front end. It made me think of a Nissan pickup from the 90's I saw at the local cruise spot. Looked like a real pile but something was funny about the grill.The dude built his own 3x2 frame with a WRX drive train. He didn't have a floor in the bed so you could see everything. Everything was very professionally done, a real work of art. Thanks for posting this Scott.
                      that was shared on Nasioc a few years ago.. monitored it along. It is cool to see it is still out and about, back was not filled in back then either. I got slapped around the forums, no category..ended up in the classic/restomod/rat rod welder whatever. Found that nissan getting built. Very cool people. Even ended up in the actual rally car builder crowd.

I liked the build, and replied in a few posts. I actually chose the S-10 with 3.9 for the ea82... leave the rear axle alone that way. Never built it, but that nissan really sparked my motivation.

To this day, it would have been easier to mount the whole thing into a chevy s10, than the 54 pounds of weld and hand fabricate the j-tin.

it is an awesome sight, gets it out of tin can chassis.

I do not know what rat rod is now after scotts post. The parts too new for rat rod? Not sure why hot rod.

edit:
                      even wikipedia would call that a perfect rat rod.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 11, 2014, 11:26 AM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                      X