"1 out of 4 performance variants of new cars sold in the U.S. has a Ford badge"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 38P View Post
    So the Y-block quip has no basis in fact.
    Y block started life the year before the SBC, while the Windsor was 7 years after the SBC. So a fair comparison of old engine designs would be Y block vs SBC.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
      As I said where are the "performance badged" Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, Hyundais and Volkswagons?
      Really? Never heard of Subaru WRX, BRZ and STI, Scion FR-S, Lexus "F-series" (RC F, IS F, CCS-R and LFA), Nissan GT-R, Honda CR-Z, Volkswagen GTI, Hyundai Veloster and Genesis 5.0 . . . .

BTW, speaking of VW's decades of "hot hatch" GTIs . . . I'm reminded of their great commercial from thirty years ago . . .

Plus how many times does 60K units go into multi-billions of dollars? C'mon, SVT stuff isn't THAT pricey!
      60,000 x $35,000.00** is $2.1 Billion

**My guess of average transaction prices for performance cars, factoring in the high prices on the SVT Raptor and 662-h.p. Shelby GT500.
      Last edited by 38P; July 18, 2014, 04:22 PM.

Comment

I still like Big Blocks.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

Y block started life the year before the SBC, while the Windsor was 7 years after the SBC. So a fair comparison of old engine designs would be Y block vs SBC.
          But that's not relevant for Gasser/AFX. Cox and Fox didn't use SBCs because they otherwise would have had to use Y-blocks. They used 'em because they were cheap and that's what they already knew/had on hand.

Anyone who wanted to run a Ford engine in the class would likely run a near-unobtainium FE (out-of-production nearly 40 years) or an SBF. Plainly SBFs can be built to waste SBCs if one so chooses (although admittedly it's a tad more expensive). And there's plenty of evidence that FEs can win . . . but who is going to spend that kind of money for a cheap Chinese jacket and a postage-stamp photo in Hot Rod?

Certainly, if I had a George Poteet or Brent Hajek-sized bankroll, I'd ruin the class with a "period correct" Holman-Moody clone fiberglass-bodied Gen 1 Mustang, powered by a mountainous blown alcohol SOHC.

Thankfully for your Nova and the other Chevyphiles, I don't have that kind of money.

But one shouldn't have to do that to compete when DF could easily make cheaper 429-460-based engines class legal . . . to level the playing field with the JY 454s and crate 502s (none of which were ever sold in 1967).

Jim, we've debated this before . . . neither one of us is going to change our positions. You think it's "correct" and I think its BOGUS.
          Last edited by 38P; July 18, 2014, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Damn I've never seen anyone with so many excuses.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

btw the Gasser AF/X class is designed to capture the "heyday" of the Gasser Wars, and the Match Bash cars. It has to be limited to 1966 and earlier engines, because 1967 was the Funny Car era. There is no Anti-Ford conspiracy. It just so happens that Ford was a few years late on figuring out that they needed a new mill, that the late 50s first generation big block wasn't going to hack it.

I bet you could build a competitive FE on a budget if you tried. It can't be that difficult. I threw together my 427 pretty quick and easy and cheap, there's nothing magic in it. A pair of $1200 40+ year old ebay heads, junk truck block, junk 60s crank, discarded early hipo rods, cheap knock off India pistons...it's pretty crappy. But it does look the part, and the displacement is right.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Amount of phucks given, see avatar!
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

What? There are no "excuses."

Just admit that the GM boys have obtained slanted rules that essentially price Ford-powered racers on a budget out of the class. On what planet would it be remotely logical to show up with a 351W-style mill (that likely will be protested on deck height by the "purists") when it takes big cubes and a blower now to win the class? And how is it an "excuse" to admit the fact that I don't have the money to build a SOHC or other FE and implant it into an antique car? I don't have the money to compete in Unlimited, either. Is that an "excuse?"

I guarantee you if someone with a non-Chevy-powered Gasser/AFX wins the class (even if it is that jerk Finn in his half-breed Mopar) I'd dance a freakin' jig on the starting line in celebration that the arrogant Chevy "mafia" lost.

Comment

See my post above about excuses. you're full of them.

I don't expect to win. But I'm trying. No big cubes, and not much of a blower (it's older than the car is)
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Ya got me, WRX and STi are badges. BRZ is a model. FR-S is a model. IS F and F/F are badges. LFA is a model. CCS-R is a race car. GT-R is a model. CR-Z is a model. GTI is a badge. Ford guys, always going for the overkill..... And yeah, maybe 2 IS multi.

The "Enthusiast Market" is always based on just that, enthusiasm. Threads started here were NOT "Boy isn't the Hellcat awesome" or "How great is that new Z-28 track day car". They were "That sh*t is STRANGE, maybe....". The "Isn't Ford doing great" thread will always get flamed because in enthusiasm Ford is very hit and miss.

BTW I'm not a truck guy or a diesel guy but someone from Ford needs to get out to some truck pulls like on Diesel TV on Motor Mania. Ford IS selling, but when the announcer says "How many Power Stroke Fans?" you can hear crickets. Cummins and DuraMax sell on Monday, Fords still go on rep.

But the underdog role is cool in it's own way. It's what built the Chevy horde we live with now. Grumpy was outnumbered but RULED. Just remember that bulls eye on your forehead.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

And on DW the only thing stopping some maniac from building a Kaase motored carbon fiber Pro Mod blob with tags is just there aren't that many Ford fans out there. Just like Larry Morgan is competitive, he just doesn't seem to win and nobody misses it.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          btw the Gasser AF/X class is designed to capture the "heyday" of the Gasser Wars, and the Match Bash cars. It has to be limited to 1966 and earlier engines, because 1967 was the Funny Car era. There is no Anti-Ford conspiracy. It just so happens that Ford was a few years late on figuring out that they needed a new mill, that the late 50s first generation big block wasn't going to hack it.
                          There is so much BS in that paragraph . . . .

That "50s first generation big block" FREAKIN' WON LE MANS TWICE . . . it won over 100 NASCAR races in the 1960s (when Chevy won almost nothing) . . . it won drag races and championships during the so-called "heyday" . . .

It powered the most potent sports car of the era . . . .

But to punish budget Ford racers nearly fifty years later merely because Ford decided in 1968 to offer an even larger emissions-era engine (instead of doing what Pontiac did) and stopped supporting the FE is just wrong in my opinion.

It's also wrong that somebody can buy a salvage 1990s BBC or a GMPP mill and pass it off as a "'66 396" while Ford racers aren't allowed to run a budget BBF and claim it's a '68 Thunderjet. Allowing BBFs would hardly dilute the class into a flopper show.
                          Last edited by 38P; July 18, 2014, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I have a 66 396 block sitting on a stand...it's worth a little more than scrap value. Mostly sentimental value, it's my first big block. I bought it in 1978 for $45

As usual, you're full of excuses. There are plenty of FE motors around that you can build.

I guess Ford's winners were mostly factory backed? or what? Chevy match racers from 1966 were mostly a ragtag bunch. There were a few heavy hitters, but even an average Joe could buy a new mill over the counter, and be competitive on the local scene. The same engine that won races was what went into normal cars. Ford always had to make some special rare parts to win races...Chevy did it with normal mass production junk.

The 385s just don't look right in a "gasser" era car. They were late to the party, they have to be excluded. No conspiracy needed.
                            My fabulous web page

Comment

Go ahead and build a Clevo motor FXer Speedy. Jim will be more than ready to match race ya.... Isn't that what FX is about?

Comment

Badges or variants just doesn't FEEL right for imports. You don't hear WRX and Evo owners calling their rides Imprezas or Lancers. O.K. Golf GTi maybe, but back when they were still Rabbits, never. As far as a brand selling on Monday, how about Mitsubishi, Mazda, Audi and maybe Mercedes for passenger cars and then sports cars....

I always say Ford fans are more devoted, dedicated and maybe intelligent than other fans. But the cars are about the same and not marketed to enthusiasts very consistently.

Comment

Working...
                                X