scania v8 in america

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scania v8 in america

I guess I am a motorhead, I got goosepimples.

this is not the old mack v8..this is 14 liters of modern 500hp.
    I would have heard this coming and paid attention for sure.

for those not in the know, america does not have a big diesel v8.
    balance stopped at 10.2 liters. a cat engine called a "3208".

maybe this is a sign of world trade to come.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Those who attended the Mid-America Trucking Show this year got a glimpse of aero’s possible future if they stopped by the Airflow Truck Co. exhibit.

American truckers seem to hate COEs . . . and with the government amping up fuel economy regs for Class 8 trucks, I'd be surprised if any of the OEMs decide to offer V8 power. More aero, hybridization, and diesel alternatives (natural gas) are givens, though.

Comment

its about the v8, not the COE.
      I lived through the COE years.
      50 inches across the shoulders and 28 at the waist.

not funny.

the first rig I drove in was a mack v8... 13 foot 6 trailer..the cab look tiny. The sound of that one taking on a load.. unforgettable.
      absolutely beautiful.

that was 1978.

I then drove in two superliners, 500hp .. but I disagreed about that number. Those tiny rails it sat in said it all. This was when they were not to be classics, driven hard, looking dirty all the time.
      still sounded very balanced and casual taking on a load.

to see this modern one, wow.. there is hope for real v8 lovers.

I see CAT is in trouble about something..this may open doors to the anything but monopoly they got going...get some drivetrain alternatives.

imagine that v8 in a long nose pete, more air, bigger everything..and those two pipes actually exiting two banks of exhaust.

Wow. it is just a dream.

the six, I have been griping since I was 4 feet tall... the six is for tangent brained retards.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Dad drove many COEs.. One had the big 8.. No shifting to hit the mountains... Fuel economy after getting that motor rebuilt several times..retired at 2 or 5 million miles I forget, Company got him a smaller motor with 2X the fuel rating, he had to shift all the time.. Remember hitting the passes in the middle lane right at 60 mph while everybody else was in the slow lane or shoulder with the blinkers on, not dad..big smile waving at those he knew...... Kinda like driving my son's Powerstroke with 2 cars on it and hitting the pass at speed while the Dodge is in the slow lane..with ONE CAR on it's trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Dad drove many COEs.. One had the big 8.. No shifting to hit the mountains... Fuel economy after getting that motor rebuilt several times..retired at 2 or 5 million miles I forget, Company got him a smaller motor with 2X the fuel rating, he had to shift all the time.. Remember hitting the passes in the middle lane right at 60 mph while everybody else was in the slow lane or shoulder with the blinkers on, not dad..big smile waving at those he knew...... Kinda like driving my son's Powerstroke with 2 cars on it and hitting the pass at speed while the Dodge is in the slow lane..with ONE CAR on it's trailer
          That is interesting with those that like the v8... they really had a work day. pansy ass stuff gets old quick. All that shifting...
          I even drove in the 318 detroit in the white cracker jack boxes.. lincoln tunnel that flunking nut of an engine could pop a brain drum, not just the ears.

the real 8 is specifically 90 degree fires and four stroke. always a win.

there is a powerstroke local, I am serious, it is the most exotic thing I have heard since a factory first year 396...or the 59 hemi. And it is deeper, like a diesel ought to be.

I know I am lucky to have experienced the attempts, and still be fairly young to tell it like it is.
          I know business goes mobster all the time with tactics.. I still wonder how innocent caterpillar really is or isn't.

We all know damn well what is the best. The I-6 is a road making engine. Not an over the road one. Keep them in the tractors, let the rest of humanity move on.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 3, 2014, 07:10 PM.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Amen brother! Yes... Love the trucks that fly! My own flatbed with one ton and 350 hauls like it is not that full.. Never get stopped by the weight master because I drive it not baby it..3 engines and 7 trannys..almost 400,000 miles..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Amen brother! Yes... Love the trucks that fly! My own flatbed with one ton and 350 hauls like it is not that full.. Never get stopped by the weight master because I drive it not baby it..3 engines and 7 trannys..almost 400,000 miles..
              always worth it. I even built compression on cast cranks, and 2 bolt mains. did not break longevity records..but that did teach me something about the real contentment to be thrashed, the threshholds.
              (I blew up two of them, violently).. would do it again, but today is too smart for that.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

I need my flatbed too bad to break it... A cord a month and getting 12,000# of gravel next week....at least I don't have far to go..;))

Comment

It does have a nice growl to it.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

V8s almost always beat the crap out of anything with fewer cylinders on sound quality, regardless of fuel.

But the big fleet operators really don't care about sound. The Class 8 OTR market overwhelmingly favors massive sixes and the big government fuel economy mandate makes it unlikely that V8s will come back in any real numbers

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                      V8s almost always beat the crap out of anything with fewer cylinders on sound quality, regardless of fuel.

But the big fleet operators really don't care about sound. The Class 8 OTR market overwhelmingly favors massive sixes and the big government fuel economy mandate makes it unlikely that V8s will come back in any real numbers
                      you really are a blind backside digger of nothing but your own self argument aren't you.
                      who the #### said sound alone is doing the work asshole?

I have yet to ignore anybody on this forum..but damn man you remind of a northwestern mentality running a subaru.

Attempting to tower above 38 years of real trucking is the dumbest ####ing thing EVER.

excuse my language, the sulfur in my city flooded streets clog anything shy of a 4 inch stroke. I am on a second story floor and the sink can't even drain.
                      oh. my. God.

the neighbors powerstroke is superhero right now..bet he does not even know it. I could not even get to the store without the buggy snapping at the puke in the streets.

my last little anything, ever.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 5, 2014, 05:50 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

This isn't the perfect example but its the one I know. In the late 70's and early 80's Cummins and Detroit Diesel were having a horsepower war of sorts with h.p. in the 400 to 450 range.
                        Cat was probably in there too but I don't have much experience with them. Cummins had the N series which was a 855 c.i. 6 cyl 4 stroke and Detroit had the 8V-92 which was a 736 c.i.
                        V-8 2 stroke.

The biggest advantage to the 6 cyl. in my mind is it has 7 main bearings to the V-8's 5 and my experience bears out that advantage as the crankshafts from the Cummins could usually be magnafluxed and polished while the mains were rattled out of the Detroits. The damage started at the center and worked its way out with #1 and #5 usually showing no damage as they only support 1 cyl each and the #3 with the most damage. Sometimes they would clean up at .020 or .030 and sometimes they would have to be junked.

Now I can just see someone arguing that top fuel engines will hold the mains at 10'000 h.p. and that's true. Here in the Rocky Mtns. you will have your foot in it for 10 to 15 mins. while a top fuel engine only sees 4 seconds of maximum throttle. That time under load for the diesel drastically heats and thins the oil and I suspect with less surface area the V-8 loses too much film strength and cooling ability.

The Cummins of that era and in the uses we would see here would need an out of frame between 4-500,000 miles while the Detroit was good for 2-400,000 and as I indicated would need a re-grind or new crank and of course an align-bore if the block could be saved. The Cummins also needed an align-bore because the main caps would work and the bore would shrink a thousandth or two so if new bearings were installed the clearances would be too tight.

As boxer indicated Mack had a V-8 and Cummins also had a 903 c.I. V-8 but neither was successful. I can't remember the reasoning but I was told the Detroit was as successful as it was because it was a 60 degree while the Mack and Cummins were 90 degree V's.

Looking at the Scania and how short it is I imagine it would be interesting to try to package an American Cummins or Cat 15 or 16 liter 6 cyl in it because of length of the engine. I have no knowledge whatsoever about that V-8 but it seems to be successful engine.

I know Brian has a love affair with the 2-stroke Detroits but frankly they weren't that good. They don't have much torque compared to 4-strokes and people with 2-strokes on drill rigs around here changed them out for 60 series Detroit 6 cyls because the 60 gets 40% better fuel economy in that application. They do scream and thrash around and make a lot of noise with the valve train turning twice as fast as a 4-stroke but as the old timers say the best thing for a driver of one to do is slam his hand in the door first thing in the morning. That way he drives it pissed off all day and that's the only way to make it perform.

Comment

Working...
                        X