Pics from GNRS 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics from GNRS 09

I thought I post these pics here for more to see. Ryan and I went on Friday to avoid crowds. The soggy drizzly weather helped thin out the crowds too.

Because it was soggy there far fewer cars outside this year. Most were traditional style customs. Though this customized Pontiac braved the weather.

This old school 55 Chevy once had lettering on the hood scoop "189 ci".

In the Heritage Pavilion, they had past show cars and past AMBR winners.

I once painted an engine white. It blew up three days after I installed it. This nailhead powered T bucket pulled off the white motor much better.

The Glass Slipper was not only a study with aero vs. speed, it's totally bitchin looking too.

I wonder if the gold metal flake on the motor would survive a night of cruising.

This deuce roadster built in the early 70's had it's power in the back. That's a Olds Toronado 425/th425 transaxle with a pair of tiny turbos. The whole body was lifted up to service it.

These theme rods were all the rage when I was first hitting the cars shows as a kid. I thought they were gaudy then. I wanted to fire up the engine to see how long until all that tufted velour went up in flames. Those Indy style racing slicks look original.

I believe this T was one of Roth's creations.

I still like this twin Pontiac powered machine. It has two trannys and a pair of Jag rearends coupled together by the inner axles.

It's rare to see an unchopped Model A. Although I liked this car, I still think it needed a shorter roof and a shorter deuce grille.

The story on this Studey p/u was the owner wanted to carry around his go cart easier and he didn't want to part with car, so he parted with parts on his car. I over heard guys saying it was a factory job even though the story and pics were right there with the car.

Sam Barris's custom Merc is second famous the one his brother George built for Hirohata.

Ala Kart is just as cool fifty years after it was built. I couldn't find a flaw anywhere. Although the dozens of custom details on are flashy, nothing crossed the line to gaudy. It supposedly cost $15K to build in 58 which was more than most doctors took home then.

The Rat Rod pavilion was renamed to the Traditional Rod pavilion this year. Ryan and I really liked this old school 55.

This Fury is for Joe. The original 383 was upgraded and the bucket seats had fancy red leather.

This pedophile dream machine was hideous on many levels. But I found it had so many details in the paint and interior I was looking at it for quite a while. It belongs to a tattoo artist to the stars. (That means he charges too much.)

It's amazing how simple and clean flowing Ivo's chicken leg is. The body cladding is just smooth and functional.

The Addict was once driven by Ryan Walker's uncle. He got screwed over by the owner who was there. He sure acted like he knew he screwed his uncle owner by his reaction of Ryan mentioning his name to him. He then ignored us.

I'm kinda over the whole high dollar pro touring vibe done on too many cars, but this 62 Impala had me wondering. Nope I'm over it.

I'm seeing more and more high dollar customs of 60's Pickups. I really like this Ford. It was classy enough for Farmer Fred to put on his best over-alls and head off to Sunday meeting.

This super clean gasser style 57 was built by a rod builder Jimmy Shine. Kinda explains the street rod front end (dropped axle, transverse spring, and hair pins). Beyond that, I really dug this one. Ryan and I agree that this shade of blue is the coolest.

Another of Ryan's favorites at the show was this roundy round Chevelle.

I can't enough of this body style. 71 GTX's and Road Runners are just cool.

I kept an eye for Navy jets coming in to land on the hood of this Le Sabre. More and more of these finned yachts are popping up. The prices for them are popping up too.

This detail on Troy Ladd's latest creation was to the point. It also needs to list next of kin.

This early 70's vibed road race Vette had all C5 chassis under it. I loved it. Those front tires were 305's!!!

Every year I see celebs here at the show. This year we spotted James Hetfield gabbing with Billy Gibbons. Billy was there with his limo driver from Empire/CLS, not a car guy. I had to stretch the zoom to get this shot. Hetfield had a 37 Ford in the show running.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Pics from GNRS 09

Very Nice....

Comment

Nice pics Reb., I love those 55/57s with fenderwell headers. 8)

Comment

Nice,I really like those Road Runners/ GTX's as well. I gotta get out there one for that show.

Comment

nice pics! My father's friend Tom actually owned the Sam barris merc for about 50 years. Just sold it in 2006/2007 i think.

And when i first saw the title to the thread i thought it was gonna be GUNS AND ROSES pics.

Comment

Thanks for sharing those. Looks like it was a great time.
            Jim T
            Supercar Collectibles
            www.Supercar1.com

Comment

Looks like a good time, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nice pics Scott, thanks.
                Living the dream!

Comment

HMMM. I was wondering if anyone here went to that show, and liked the same kind of shit I like
                  STUGOTS

Comment

Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

The Studebaker pickup has a really great story behind it. Dick Steinkamp, who I think has posted here in the past actually found the car on Craig's List and restored the custom pickup with much consultation with the original builder. Check out these links. The first Chronicles the build of the car, The second two are from the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum. They sort of sum up the background behind a really interesting car.

Comment

Great pics Reb! Someday I've got to get out to Cali and see one of those shows.

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
                        HMMM. I was wondering if anyone here went to that show, and liked the same kind of shit I like
                        Maybe you should take pics of those cars and post them. ;)
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

GNRS is on my bucket list.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                            Originally posted by groucho
                            Maybe you should take pics of those cars and post them. ;)
                            You already did
                            STUGOTS

Comment

nice shots! I like 55-57 gassers as long as the rear wheel wells are left alone! can be ugly real easy if the sawsall gets going!

Comment

Working...
                              X