Big truck drag racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big truck drag racing

Lotta air under the tire in the right lane. And dig the widely spaced jersey wall for a guardrail. If a truck hit that it would be like a speedbump.

Re: Big truck drag racing

Can you imagine the carnage if one did jump the barrier!!

Cool twist though!

Comment

Get the feeling that's not an NHRA sanctioned event? I think the running of the bulls is safer...
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

The Rodeo du Caminos in St Joseph de Beauce Canada.

It's happening again in Sept of 2009 and if you can go, you absolutely need to. Picture a few tens of thousands of drunken Canadian guys some of the baddest ass rigs in the country and more fun than you can shake a stick at.

They drag race them on a city street up a hill, both with a loaded trailer and bob tailing.

It is a freaking hoot.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Uh huh.....

LOTS of E-model Caterpillars running that event, regardless of the truck manufacturer(mainly Peterbilts and Western Stars).

MAJOR tuning on ECM's, bigger injectors and turbos.......and depending on the outcome, transmissions/clutches, a bent framerail or 2....

There used to be truck drags out at ORP(IRP back then) back in the 1970's...I remember my father and his boss taking their truck out on the 1320 and racing them(think this around 1977-1978)

Dad was in a White-Freightliner cabover with a Cummins and a 9-speed(I think...been a few moons...LOL), went a round or so and lost when he blew a shift.

Jerry was in his then-recently restored '54 Autocar(Cummins powered as well), won in his class.

Damned if I can find any info on the Web, or pics.........would be a BLAST to see this kind of stuff again.

I wonder what kind of numbers I could put down with my '06 379 Pete.....430 C-13 Cat with a 10-speed....but I digress.

Comment

Smoke...ask and ye shall receive.

New England Dragway runs big truck drags every year. We had a guy show up in an old airport fire fighting truck. Ran 30's

Brian

Comment

The ones to watch are the guys bringing out the old V-8's.......8v71/8v92 Detroits, 3408 caterpillsr, VT903 Cummins, and the 500 Mack V-8's.....

Fuel efficiency is not even considered(but you surely know that), but DAMn.....the power...LOL

Comment

that right there is the definition of TORQUE - lifting one front wheel of a freaking semi tractor!

for the love of all that is good and mighty that's the wickedest coolest thing EVER!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                  The ones to watch are the guys bringing out the old V-8's.......8v71/8v92 Detroits, 3408 caterpillsr, VT903 Cummins, and the 500 Mack V-8's.....

Fuel efficiency is not even considered(but you surely know that), but DAMn.....the power...LOL
                  From what Ive heard, the VT903 was a slow, low powered fleet truck engine. The ones Ive seen weren't even turbocharged. 3408 Cats and 500 Macks are big horsepower. The truck pullers like the old 2 cycle Detroits, especially the "Buzzin' Dozen" 12V71. There was a fleet near me that ran the KT series Cummins, an 1150 cubic inch inline 6. Rated at 600 horsepower back when 350 was alot.
                  Caterpillar used to have a dyno challenge at the big truck shows. I recall a guy who put over 1000 horsepower to the rear wheels in an old beater Peterbilt daycab, he ran propane injection. His regular over the road tune up was 850 horsepower. The photo of him on the dyno showed stacks of papers all over the dash and clipped to the visors, and the truck was filthy. Hilarious.

Comment

903's were actually pretty good engines...as long as you coud keep the rockers adjusted.

Which never lasted long...

I know CF and Transcon ran them in their fleets....for the rockies and relay guys.

All of the 903's I've seen were turbo'ed....now, the 555 was a damn dog for sure.

every 555 I've seen was NA......junk.

Yeah....damn shame they don't have dyno pulls or any of the "fun" stuff at MATS anymore......half-tempted to not even go this year.

*end threadjack*

Comment

isn't that how the first Smokey and the Bandit started (when THe Bandit was introduced)
                      Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Yeah....that was a deal promoted by Overdrive magazine...may very well have been the same promoter of the one I recall from my youth.

Bobtails, straight trucks, dump trucks, mixers......all kids of stuff.

There's an owner of a local dump-truck outfit that was a salesman at the local Peterbilt dealership in those days....took some brand-new trucks out to IRP to just "show"....somehow or another they ended up going down the track in competition....the owner of the dealership was less than pleased.

Was a much different scene back then....but Camions is a wild time, from the looks of it.

Comment

If Chad and I play our cards right, we'll be there.

Comment

Can't say for sure without checking into it, but off the top of my head last summer i think, There were a few trucks running at the local track and a super sweet flat top pete was running I think 19s

Comment

We have guys come down from Canada that are running 12's in full sized, working rigs.

They're all crazy French-Canadians and great guys who have nasty trucks. The meanest one that we've seen is a Volvo. I think it may have a Caterpillar engine...not too sure.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X