Lightning Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightning Bugs

Unit and I were ganged up around the pool table just now, leaning on it, having a conversation about stuff.

Ken The Cat went into Target Guidance mode in the living room, came by like a Spot Rocket and leaped high onto the mini blinds. After a bug. A lightning bug. I saved it, it's outside.

I haven't seen a lightning bug in many years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightining Bug.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	880450

There used to be so many in the South when I was a kid, we'd catch jars full of them just to use as a lantern. I figured we'd driven them to extinction, just catching them and putting them in jars. Seriously, we (all of us kids back then) got millions of them for fun. You don't see them as much now. I think we hurt the population for sure.
    Last edited by pdub; June 25, 2013, 04:27 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Everything's a calamity with you.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Everything's a calamity with you.
      Stude, did you not catch lightning bugs? Maybe that's just a Southern thing.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It's a Kansas thing too....my grandkids are experts, thank you very much...........
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Yep....filled many a mason jar with them bugs during summer nights.
          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

We've got plenty up north here. Just started seeing them for the year.
            Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Yes, I did - but I did not conclude that "we hurt the population for sure".

Everywhere you turn, Rusty - you see trouble, anguish, pain, suffering, and a world about to end.
              You have a SERIOUS problem. Lighten up for gawd's sake, and enjoy life a little.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                they are missing.

I am certain to be a nomad for a thousand years..but they faded away in southern new England at my locale in the 80s..
                found them again if conditions were right in maine, and then again..gone.

the only bug left is this albino see through spider, it likes the hardwoods.

no flies, nothing.

I am ready to wander again. Sickening.
                more deaths than births and more trash than humans.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

PW, I hope you haven't killed them all! Someday I really want to see some!
                  Shoppin' the K-mart last weekend and they had some solar lights that were supposed to simulate fireflys for for $12. I was very tempted!
                  Last edited by LORENSWIFE; June 26, 2013, 08:23 AM.
                  That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

I saw some a few years ago in Iowa, I was sitting in the car waiting for my wife and saw what I thought was lights on running shoes.... Looked for the runner's shape.... Huh? Then the blinking went in circles.. She told me it was lightening bugs ..

Comment

Saw a few a couple nights ago, first time this summer. Probably been out longer but I havent stayed up that late.
                      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Lightning bugs...
                        How do you call these then?

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I do miss watching the lightnin'bugs fly around at night...then again, I miss grass, water, trees and temperatures that allow you to sit outside in the evenings.

I havent seen a lightning bug in close to 17 years....We used to catch them and then as we got older we used to swing at them with a wiffleball bat and make a kind of lighted baseball bat.....
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            I saw some a few years ago in Iowa, I was sitting in the car waiting for my wife and saw what I thought was lights on running shoes.... Looked for the runner's shape.... Huh? Then the blinking went in circles.. She told me it was lightening bugs ..
                            I thought those were flashbacks from the 60's and 70's - maybe not.
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Mom had a Hurst Olds with Lightning Rods. You don't see them very often any more.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                              X