No announcement yet.

Which Winch for car trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like smittybilt. I have one on my H3 that's pulled dozens of rigs out (sometimes repeatedly) and it continues to work well. I have the newest smitty on my FJ40, with wireless control, which to me is a non-negotiable feature anymore.... I'm glad you went with a steel cable. On winching operations in the woods, we're always at max load so if it snaps - death happens. OTOH, on a car trailer, where it'll be sun-exposed 24/7/365 and drug across sharp edges - steel is the only way - especially since you'll have many many troubles if you ever try to pull 9500 lbs (like pulling the hauler and trailer to the ground anchor, aka, car)
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

SBG, Glad to hear you have had good luck with the smittybilt! Any advice on type size of battery? I was thinking about buying or making something to go over the winch when not in use. But I don't want to trap moisture (think greenhouse) either.

Second question, best place to buy D rings, and how to attach them to the sheet metal deck.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

it really doesn't take a lot of battery (or winch) to pull a rolling car up an inclined plane. I've pulled the battery out of the truck, loaded a truck, put the battery back in the truck and started it (351) with no problems. If you've buried the vehicle in mud, or the wheels are locked, or you're dragging it up the side of a mountain, t's harder on the battery, but rolling it up a ramp doesn't take much at all.

I'd try an old battery in a heartbeat. Worst case, you have to use the truck battery.
        Last edited by Beagle; May 24, 2016, 03:29 PM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Loooong 2/0 cables from the engine compartment to the tongue... just tohelp whatever you use..
          I use the 950-1000 CCA group 31. Threaded studs, lead is inthe battery, 9/16 wrench to put nut on..

Comment

Watching this thread carefully. My trailer needs a winch, too, so I'm looking to see what works for folks.

Northern Tools has D-rings or at least they did when I stopped by that one on the way to Mebane on one of my trips.

Dan

Comment

I drug an extend cab F150 up the trailer in park (must have been pretty drunk) with a Warn 3700, which is much like the 4000 they sell now. I think Freiburger was using the same winch for a while. It's plenty stout for simple recovery. I would consider a larger winch for four wheeling but for this trailer, this winch is more than enough and has been flawless.

BBR did a hitch adapter bit on his trailer, weld on I believe. I bolted my hitch adapter through the frame rails. I didn't like the idea of leaving the winch in the weather. It stores in the tongue box. I've posted these before but here it is. I'm not sure where James put his pics, but there on here somewhere.

I come over the trailer rails with the J hooks on the strap. It's got angle iron welded to the edges for anchoring the straps. If I put D rings on it I would go through the frame rails.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The winch worked great! Might should have mounted it in front of the deck maybe some day I will redo it. I put the battery out of the mustang on the charger and it had plenty of power to load and unload two cars. I checked the voltage after falcon and it still had 12.7 volts.

new custom winch mount

load one

load two

Last edited by Russell; May 29, 2016, 05:52 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Forgot to mention it was very nice to have the winch when unloading the Falcon (with no brakes) I was able to power out and slowly back the car into the barn.

Future barn find?

Last edited by Russell; May 30, 2016, 03:04 PM.

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

You can put a snatch block at the rear of the trailer, run the cable thru it to the front of the car and power it off UPHILL!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      You can put a snatch block at the rear of the trailer, run the cable thru it to the front of the car and power it off UPHILL!
                      That is good to know, I need to get a snatch block and a attachment point at the back of the trailer.

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

I want to get some D-Rings for the trailer. I ordered axle straps and new straps now just need something to attach them to. At the back of the trailer i think I can drill through the deck and side rail angle or mount them on the side. At the front of the trailer the deck is attached the lighter angle that goes from side to side. i am not sure if the main rails stick up enough to mount them side ways.

What do you think is better flat on the deck or sideways attached to the main angle? These are the d-rings I am leaning towards.

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Got my D-rings installed

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

I dunno why they named those after my favorite grade in HS.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X