• Show
Clear All

Re: Pre "Black Album" Metallica fans...

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    Originally posted by JOES66FURY
    Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
    Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
    The official Metallica website with all the latest news, tour dates, media and more. Join the Fan Club to become the Fifth Member of Meta...

All I can say is thank F@#% Bob Rock is gone.
    (..and it sounds like they might be playing a lot more E all the time. Thank you sweet Jesus! :P)
    Are you kidding? (first I'll qualify, I was a Metallica fan since MoP)

Do you not like Bob Rock since his production skills helped them sell a hundred million albums? I am into audio production, and I thought that Justice for All would have been a better album had they run into Bob Rock instead of whomever the idiot was that recorded/engineered it. Don't hate him just because he knows how to make an album that becomes popular. I hate when people call Metallica "sellouts" just because they had a few albums sell big... they still put on a heluva live show... and play the old material too...

-scott
    I couldn't care less about the album sales. That's how you create pop-music.
    What top 40 charts crap is actually worth listening to anyway? Maybe GM should make the Corvette more like a Camry because they sell more! To me, Bob Rock removed the real Metallica sound from Metallica.
    ..and Metallica only gets airplay on LPs that were recorded on a major recoring lable. MOP and earlier was all on Music for Nations and it never ever gets played here. Vertigo lable, well, that's a different story.

MOP & Justice are awesome albums that put Metallica on the map and even credited the band with thier own genre of thrash. Those albums are real metal, and not the radio friendly stuff with synthersizers that was used in the black album. Don't get me wrong, I really like the black album in parts, but I feel it was Metallica's first step in the wrong direction.
    St Anger. I liked it. It took me a while, but It's almost like they were rebelling against their recent-most recordings with the aggressive new sound.

Yes Spidey, they lost the ANGER! ;)

X's 2....who gives a crap if you sell millions of albums if the style of music that attracted your fan base has to be comprimised....I agree about the Black album, I liked it but it was the start of a death roll for the band....the nail in the coffin for me was the symphony @ Red Rock crap the turned me off....
    While accurate, both your opinions are in the minority of the album-purchasing public... There's nothing wrong with that, but I am pretty sure Metallica would side with mine and not yours. Why? Because "Justice For All" didn't make them enough money to buy a Chevette. The Black Album made them enough to buy General Motors...

Different strokes for different folks (DF thinks Tommy Lee is a good drummer - haha), I actually thought the best musicianship was on the Justice album; best production was on the Black album. Combine the two - wow, that album would have KICKED ASS. Bob Rock had every intention of maximum radio airplay; he knew damned well that Radio wouldn't have anything to do with Lars doing 140bpm sixteenth note double bass... ;)
    You are absolutely correct diesel that Metallica made a boat load of money off of the Black album and did not make as much money off of the previous four albums put together. With that being said lets not forget one of Metallicas mantras that they are a band for the fans and without the fans there would be no Metallica. Metallica is a band of right time, right place lets break this down wicked heavy band starts playing the strip in LA while hair band is on its way out, they release Kill em All does ok. They start to pick up a really good fan base and release Ride the Lightning get even more popular and then release one of the best heavy metal albums of all time Master of Puppets. The fan base has almost reached its pinnacle then they release And Justice for All and do a video for One and put it on MTV. I cant recall a freind of mine that didnt have Justice, and not very many of my friends had MOP. Then they released Black and everybody was a Metallica fan, and were doing videos and getting radio play. IMO did they sell out kinda, where doing what they needed to make mountains of cash yeah. When Lars starts complaining about some downloads and them not getting paid for their music thats when I kinda think things went South for Metallica.

Lets not forget that other good Metal bands that have not sought out the hit making producers and rock just hard or harder than Metallica like Slayer has stayed true to thier fan base, Pantera though broke up and can never be again one of the best hard rock bands ever to me Vulgar Display of Power is better than MOP. Just my opinion but Metallica will never be as good as vintage Metallica.

Comment

great points!!

and you brought up one of my alltime favorite bands, Pantera. Vulgar and Cowboys are two AWESOME albums. Their drummer Vinnie Paul is one of the best, he's also a wicked good producer/engineer/recordist. A hero of mine!

While we're naming some of the greats, how about Les Claypool - any love for the Primus? Neither of these groups are sellouts and maintain loyalty to their fans, IMO.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It doesn't get anymore CarJunkie than Jerry was a Racecar Driver. "Fire It Up Man"

Comment

or the south park theme
          a band for the quirky
          which is good
          any CLIFF BURTON FANS ?

Comment

Aye... It just wasn't the same after Cliff died, good for a bit but not the same.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

SppedJunkee told me there was a Metallica thread on CJTV....thought i'd bumped my head and started having delusions.

Myself? Been a fan since 1988....the first 4 albums are whre my loyalties lie.

Liked them all for their different sonic visions, but for all-out aggression(not to mention the ultimate metal uber-crunch rhythm sound........still makes my hair stand on end) ....And Justice for All....is my pic.

Best production? NO.

TBA was OK, definitely their best-selling album....the Load experiments were mixed to me(thumbs down more than not), and St. Anger was a pathetic rehab album.

Just from the snippets of the new stuff I've heard, I may have to install a CD player in the Z again...\M/

BTW, the TL comment....guy can play drums like no other, but is a tool, mentally and socially.... :

Comment

While accurate, both your opinions are in the minority of the album-purchasing public... There's nothing wrong with that, but I am pretty sure Metallica would side with mine and not yours. Why? Because "Justice For All" didn't make them enough money to buy a Chevette. The Black Album made them enough to buy General Motors...
                Once again, who cares about sales or money made?
                Caring about album sales means that Madonna is better than Metallica and the 1979 Camaro is the best of them all!

Just because Metallica over produced and molded their sound to suit what the commercial radio stations were willing to air with the black album, does not mean that that's Metallica's best effort.

I agree with you and think Justice is technically the best, while I think Puppets has the best attitude.
                This may sound silly, but Garage Days (the $5.98 EP) is the best produced album because it wasn't! I love that raw sound for music like early Metallica. Just like the Creeping Death 12" B-side.

I would love Flemming Rasmussen to do more work with them. He produced their best work in my opinion.

Comment

One word: Whiplash!

Comment

Three words:
                    The Four Horsemen. 8)

Comment

I think I own every Metallica album that's been sold, up to St Anger. I agree with the majority who say that the Black album was the beginning of the decline, but I also realize that there us a whole new generation of people who like the newer stuff.
                      I didn't care for the sound of St Anger... I don't know the technical words for it, but is sounded to jumbled... to blended. I like to be able to listen to the bass, to the drums, to the lead guitar, and to the rhythm guitar individually when I chose.

Favorite album... a toss up between Master and Justice. Favorite song... boy, that's a tough one... The Prince might just win that battle for me. I realize it's not one of their originals (a Diamond Head cover), but I don't care. It's just done so well. I could (and have, many times) listen to that song over and over again. The drums, the guitar, the bass... it's all so in-freaking-credibly well done! ...and so fast!

Not Safe For Work, language. The sound isn't great... but you can get the idea.
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

For what it's worth, I don't fault Lars for standing up for what he believes in. People were stealing his music. People were stealing thousands of artist's music, and the problem required someone "big" to bring attention to the problem, to seek a solution that was fair to the people who actually create the music we enjoy.
                      I have downloaded over a hundred songs on various websites like Limewire, never paid a cent... but I've never d/l'd a Metallica song, out of respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                        One word: Whiplash!
                        Dude....we have got to hang out someday.......if I can ever manage to get to the shakey, it's ON.....\M/

Comment

"Seek and Destroy" from Metal up your Ass.....James and Dave Mustaine were using full barre chords on the chorus, adds to the heaviness of the sound......(yes, I play guitar)

Comment

I got hooked on Metallica in 7th grade when they toured with Queesryche (mind crime) for the and justice for all tour....so friggin great, saw them at 3 rivers stadium in Pittsburgh in 92 when they toured with G'n'R and Faith No More

I look at it like this....The bands that stay true to the music that made them famous are the bands that I love...Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera, The Chilli Peppers, Megadeath, nothing changed with them IMO, the music grew and matured but its roots stayd the same, The Black album was a step in the right direction for Metallica as far as growing and maturing but it was a little too Top 40, it wasnt as hard as the earlier stuff, it did not have the same attitude..you can argue all day that it made money and got them into the main stream, which is everything they were not in the earlie days...now you may not call that a sell out....But I sure the hell do....

Comment

I think they sold out when they made "And Now I Disappear" for a movie sound track. Till then it was just a stylistic slide into pop rock not metal rock. Load and Reload barely had enough good stuff for 1 good disc out of them together. Then they released Garage Days (second time with the new stuff) and S&M and it was awesome again... then they just desintegrated... I don't think it'll ever come back but here's hoping.

On a simular note, my fiance (give her a break she's from overseas) got all intereted when New Kids on the Block said they were getting back together. After making fun of the for the manditory time she asked who I'd want to get back together... and I said "Metallica to stop sucking will count well enough for getting back together" so time will tell.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I know this will be controversial, but I really dig the S&M disc.
                                Probably due to liking a wide range of musical genre's.

I remember reading in the booklette about the symphony members coming in not know what to expect. As they walked into the auditorium, seeing all the weirdo's dressed in black, waiting to get in hours early was "scary". Then, they nearly sh!t their pants after the first song, when the mob erupted, screaming, yelling, waving their hands in the air and flicking bic lighters at them. "Have they gone mad !" "Are they going to storm the stage and burn it down ?" After a minute they realised it was the crowds way of expressing their approval and was a form of appreciation and adulation that they had never experienced. They all loved it, too.

Very funny ...
                                ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X