No announcement yet.

A Pirate Looks at Sixty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree totally peewee. I see a few old guys everyday that are just waiting to die and it's sad. I don't mind getting old, I just don't ever want to be frail and have to rely on a caregiver to wipe my butt for me. One of them told me once "don't ever get old" I said "I don't plan on it" he replied "I didn't plan on it either"
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

they say dance like nobody's watching....you know the rest......

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

My stance and personal belief is that there is actually a point where you've lived too long.

That might very well be wrong. Shoot at it. That conversation should be interesting, and it might change my mind. Opinions?
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          My stance and personal belief is that there is actually a point where you've lived too long.

That might very well be wrong. Shoot at it. That conversation should be interesting, and it might change my mind. Opinions?
          My auntie, 2 years older than my mom... Asked mom if she seen " mom" their mom passes 15 plus years ago... They went to see another old lady, auntie tells her "Barb saw mom before she picked me up" ...
          THAT...I do NOT want for me... Auntie has moments of clarity.. Fewer and further between... Does not understand why she is " locked up" ..
          The other old lady is same age as auntie... Sound of mind, but body all shot tohell and a hard sneeze breaks her back... Oxygen 24/7
          That, I do not want either... Nor do I want to go before my time...

Comment

While I'm going to bed, lemme say that I've written myself into a corner. I admit it. There's no solution for it.

I do absolutely believe that you can live too long.

But I don't have an answer for it. Suicide's not the right thing, so there's no clear answer. I un-submit my question, if that's possible.

Comment

I feel fortunate that I am starting to get this all straight in my head while I am still in my (late) twenties. I think the only real tragedies in life are when parents have to bury their children, and when children have to grow up without parents. Most everything else, is just part of life. Some of us get more time than others and some of us will put that time to better use. Naturally, some will get the short end of the stick. But sooner or later, you will be faced with saying goodbye to everyone you know. If you live long, you'll get to say goodbye one at a time. If you get the short straw they'll say goodbye to you. This realization is not a reason to stop living, it's a reason to START living.

Dad's mom had 12 kids. She buried her husband on her oldest son's 18th birthday, the youngest never knew him. Tough times on the dairy farm for sure, but now two of the kids have passed with the same heart condition he had, all in their fifties. It was during the second one's funeral that I REALLY started putting things in perspective. Spent 5 years collecting NOS parts to make my car PERFECT. Sold them all, car presents ok as-is, I'm gonna tear the crap out of it and enjoy it. Spending your life in pursuit of perfection will kill you. Most things you own will never be perfect, most of your days on earth will never be perfect. I'm ok with that.

"Life goes by pretty fast, If you don't stop to look around, you might miss it." Ferris Bueller's day off

We all have the same destination, might as well exit the interstate and enjoy the scenic route.

Whispering voice: Alcohol MAY have helped me hit the "post quick reply" button. Enjoyed in moderation of course.
              Last edited by boosted buick; May 12, 2012, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                While I'm going to bed, lemme say that I've written myself into a corner. I admit it. There's no solution for it.

I do absolutely believe that you can live too long.

But I don't have an answer for it. Suicide's not the right thing, so there's no clear answer. I un-submit my question, if that's possible.
                Might be wise... I know suicide is not the answer... Yeah. We ARE living too long...

Sleep well my friend... Don't worry about death... When your alarm clock rings... That's it.. Guess you can say that is what makes life interesting...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Sleep well my friend... Don't worry about death... When your alarm clock rings... That's it.. Guess you can say that is what makes life interesting...
                  Ain't that the truth. If you had the option to know when you were leaving, would you REALLY want to check into it? Or wouldn't you rather live like it might be tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by boosted buick View Post
                    Ain't that the truth. If you had the option to know when you were leaving, would you REALLY want to check into it? Or wouldn't you rather live like it might be tomorrow...
                    I'm living life like I will be here tomorrow... I don't fear death... I will run like hell when it comes for me...
                    Not gonna ask myself, " Is today the day I die?
                    I went past the keep out barrier on Mt St Helens the day before she blew... Nobody knew we were there. Left the bar and went up there, came home and the next day we all know what happened.. Yeah. Hindsight.. Stupid! The part we were at is no longer part of the mountain... By a few hundred feet...
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; May 12, 2012, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Having almost died 3 times in 2 days I have a horse in this race.

As a kid I was terrified of death but since the more-or-less near death experiences I no longer fear it. I'm NOT eager for it but I know that when it comes it'll be OK. BTW - no light, no tunnel. Maybe I wasn't dead enough? No way of knowing.

But yeah - live until you die. It's all we can do anyway but we can do it with PURPOSE - like we meant to.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by hoofhearted View Post
                        I think life is what you make of it. I'm 51. A few years ago ( about 4 ) a friends husband died of cancer. At his funeral they talked about doing things they had always wanted to. They found a way and did their bucket list before he passed. I went home and told my wife to plan the cruise she wanted to take. Life is too short. We went on a cruise in March of 08. We found a way to save and pay for it. So my advice is, to quote a country song, LIVE LIKE YOU WERE DIEING. Do what you can to live your bucket list.
                        This quote pretty much sums up the Geezer outlook - we're all a bunch of 60+ year olds (other than "baby" Brian) - who "really" are 16 year olds wondering what the hell happened!!
                        If you can't have fun doing it - don't do it!! Press On Regardless!!

Geezer Racing
                        Last edited by geezer1; May 13, 2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah, the "Press On" thing is what it's all about.

I think it would be entirely too big of an issue here to poll, "What's on your bucket list?"

I didn't know going 139 would be on mine, it wasn't. I just sort of came up.

But what WAS on the bucket list for me and my Blues Brother back in SC, was going to Beale Street in Memphis. I had plumb forgotten that in our 20's we swore to each other we were going to do that. He got into some major health problems and called me down on it. We said we would do that, so let's do that. He was in the Bucket List frame of mind.

So we did. That was a particularly long trip for him, and through it all I didn't realize the severity of the health issues he was up against. If I did, I would have been concerned for sure. But he flew to here and from here we drove to Memphis.

And we hit every door on Beale Street and got as drunk as blue jays eating China berries. Laughed till our faces hurt. Didn't accomplish a thing, but strike that one from the Bucket List. Yes, we did it, and don't need to do it again.
                          Last edited by pdub; May 13, 2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X