Wrecker for a tractor? Hmmmmmm....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrecker for a tractor? Hmmmmmm....

Ok, so the Lohnes family hit an antique tractor pulls last Saturday. The kids were into it, I was into it, and even Kerri was having a fun time. She really dug the fact that there were younger kids driving some of these big behemoth tractors. She then told me that she missed the old Worthington tractor I had and that I should try to trade the wrecker for an old farm tractor to participate in these pulls with.

I am kind of conflicted because it would be beyond bitchin' to have an old Farmall, JD, Oliver, etc to pull with, but I like my wrecker.

Not making any definite decisions, but I need BS guidance!
    That which you manifest is before you.

I spend a small amount of time helping a buddy with his pulling toys, its a neat form of some serious abuse. I can't get myself too excited to want to dump tons of cash into it though. I'm content with lending a hand here and there. A stock/pro stock type truck, I could still drive ala a test and tune street/strip car would be the beans though. If Mama's happy everyones happy!
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

If momma is into it, go for it! That's why we have so many toys, Michelle digs off road motorcycles n atv's.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Want to stay married and get laid again?Just saying. LOL.
        Last edited by ksj2; May 7, 2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

You Tom and Jack should start small, build a garden tractor size together, and haul it WITH the wrecker. I love tractors but, you know where my true love falls on that choice. How many car/antique truck shows could you drive Brutus to a year vs. how many pulls would you travel to and compete at?

And for the win- Truck Pulls!!!! Put the 4-5-4 in the wrecker, with some kind of shiney thing added that whistles when it rev's, and go have some fun. Besides, you will need the wrecker to haul ANY tractor to the pulls, so ya gotta keep it (at least thats what I'd tell Kerri : ))
          Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Few years ago, I bought a 55 Oliver with a 5 ft mower, 4 ft tiller, disk, harrow, and a seeder (like 12-14 ft wide with boxes and wheel powered, might be lime spreader too? ) for the grand total of $3000... Carb is out of whack... Dribbles at idle...
            I'd get something like a Farmall, Co-op or simular cuz they have frames and can be made to work with a power source of your choice
            I made a "boom" off the 3- point... Picked up a 65 caddy by the front end with it... To move around..
            I was told the Ollies have steering box slack... You are a bangshifter...
            Go for it! You can always use the wrecker to pull the trailer, and load the broken tractor....
            Last edited by Deaf Bob; May 7, 2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

for me, tractor, hands down.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Keep the Wrecker. Eventually get another tractor
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                  Keep the Wrecker. Eventually get another tractor
                  Another? Gotta get one first to " get another"

Unless he already has one?

The smaller lawn type tractors have upwards 850 cc oposed twins.
                  Shop here in town has a racer that wins.

Comment

He sold his first tractor to buy his first huge truck, so I say another.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                      He sold his first tractor to buy his first huge truck, so I say another.
                      Ah. Some history me no no... Thanks for setting me straight..

Comment

keep the wrecker!!!!!!
                        formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
                        http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

Other than drive down the road, what can't you do with a tractor with a three-point that can be done with a wrecker?

You know my vote: get a tractor.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

What's the old saying....
                            'The family that pulls together, stays together'

or something like that
                            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Hmm, so you want to get a tractor and start pulling? That's a slippery slope. Next you will be trading Buford for a 3/4-ton truck and scrounging for a used trailer to haul it to the pulls. Then you will be pulling the motor out of the old Farmall and stuffing a built 460 big block in there so you can compete in V8 Antique classes. Then you will be trading the 3/4-ton truck on a bigger one-ton with 4 doors so the whole family can ride to the pulls. Then you will be looking for a second antique tractor so Kerri can have one to pull too. Then you will be selling the used clapped-out trailer and buying a bigger gooseneck trailer so you can haul both tractors to the pulls. Then..... you see where this is going? I see it all the time.

In other words, go for it, and post lots of pics...
                              Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Working...
                              X