No announcement yet.

My cheap flip just got pricey. Bummer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cheap flip just got pricey. Bummer.

My 66 Impala was just going to be a quick flip. Rescue from Blackberry's, clean it, paint it and get it running for a daily driver, then sell it off.

But someone snuck in and grabbed the radiator. Ripped it clean out of the frame. It took massive chutzpa, because I live in a very quiet historic district.

I have a BB Caprice radiator in excellent condition, but not going to fit. Bummer.

Been pricing a replacement and its not going to be viable unless I put more into the car than I wanted.
    Why dance when you can rock and roll?

Thieves SUCK! But that rad WILL fit a '65 and we all know who has one - just sayin'. (Teasing, Scott - we know you're one of the good guys).

Dan

Comment

ALL options are on the table. I might even put an AD on Craiglist for Bakersfield, Fresno, Stockton, East L.A. and let the hoppers (low riders have a crack at it.

Comment

what about a used universal? maybe you can score one on ebay or CL?
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          what about a used universal? maybe you can score one on ebay or CL?
          x2 - what he said - Summit has it for low 100 bucks for an aluminum.

and do file a police report, the scrap yards have to report all purchases.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 24, 2012, 08:20 AM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            x2 - what he said - Summit has it for low 100 bucks for an aluminum.

and do file a police report, the scrap yards have to report all purchases.
            Not in OR... Just non ferrous.. Tin and iron go unreported but all scrap loads have to have a state police transport certificate stating where the load came from...NOBODY checks those!

Comment

Totally stinks man - so sorry to hear that. I hope the rat bastards get what's coming to them. I hope you can find a suitable alternative that fits the budget.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                Totally stinks man - so sorry to hear that. I hope the rat bastards get what's coming to them. I hope you can find a suitable alternative that fits the budget.
                I talked to cop, filed a report and he told me which places to go check. Said to mention him and they probably would let me know without hassle if something like that showed up. I told him if the whomever just told me they needed $$ that bad, would have given it to them (and then kicked the crap out of them for being that far onto the property at that time of night.) This is not the kind of thing you could have possibly seen from walking by the house.

Comment

What are the dimensions? I know my 76 C10 and my 70 GTO use similarly sized radiators, as do 70s era B bodies.

Comment

I just went out on Radiators.com and they're showing them from $99 to $299. He was trying to pry contact info out of me so I bombed out of there but I suppose it depends on number of rows, whether it's aluminum or brass/copper, etc. Bottom line is they aren't TOO pricey. Still sucks that some @$$hole helped himself.

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; April 24, 2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                      Not in OR... Just non ferrous.. Tin and iron go unreported but all scrap loads have to have a state police transport certificate stating where the load came from...NOBODY checks those!
                      radiators are non-ferrous.

The yard my dad hauls his stuff to checks ferrous as well... he's near Portland

As for aluminum, a 2 row radiator would be more than enough as aluminum is more efficient at pulling out heat then copper or brass.
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 24, 2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

i hate it when those thieves just get away with stealing! i guess they never thought it means more to you than they actually think it is. i do hope that they get caught, have you reported it to the authorities? its a must that they are being informed about this cause this might also happen to your neighbors so better be more careful with your stuff

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          radiators are non-ferrous.

The yard my dad hauls his stuff to checks ferrous as well... he's near Portland

As for aluminum, a 2 row radiator would be more than enough as aluminum is more efficient at pulling out heat then copper or brass.
                          Used to go to Portland... Just too stressy. Canby pays just as well and closer by 20-30 miles for me. I hate I-5 traffic thru Portland!
                          The azzes who cram themselves in my stopping cushion......GRRRR 12-16 K lbs don't stop too good in a 77 flatbbed. (overloaded? Who me?)

Comment

he goes the yard just off 212 in Clackamas.... and he's every bit as bad as you. I'm pretty sure that none of his car trailers have working brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                              What are the dimensions? I know my 76 C10 and my 70 GTO use similarly sized radiators, as do 70s era B bodies.
                              I am not sure off hand, but 26" wide for sure. Automatic tran connections. I have thought about it and I think I will just list as is instead of painting it and dropping new engine and transmission into it. I can't get hurt $$ wise at this point. If I don't get any nibbles, will go ahead and keep at it and raise price accordingly.

Its got some irritating issues I just don't want to deal with at the moment. Like tiny ass steering wheel, ratchet shifter. lots of nasty surface rust on interior roof.
                              Last edited by patrickth; April 24, 2012, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X