The man who lives In Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The man who lives In Detroit

Cool story about Alan Hill, the man who lives in the abandoned Packard Plant, the largest abandoned factory in the world.

**This forums program sucks, it cuts off words, & titles, & won't let you edit/fix them.
    Last edited by tardis454; April 14, 2012, 11:25 PM.

at 1:58 theres an e12 bmw 5 series in the same color as my e28 535i haha
    formerly 1988montecarloss, 3198 posts
    http://bangshift.com/forum/member.ph...88montecarloss

Comment

cool video! I would love to be turned loose in there to shoot some pics! Thank you Alan Hill, for saving a piece of American history, even if in a decayed , ruin down form. Rest in Peace Packard, Studebaker, Pontiac , Plymouth and ALL The other Lone gone American Manufacturers (automotive and others) that Time has left behind.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

paste twice to make it work.
        smethig with fonts doesn't catch up to the posting, and it posts anyway.

I'd love to live in a warehouse.
        one story big fat warehouse.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Downtown Detroit in general, and the Packard plant in particular, is heartbreaking. A wonderful company killed by horrible management - if handled correctly there was no reason for Packard to go down. It was highly profitable just a few years before it folded.

Anyhow - that compound is HUGE and is far from the only abandoned auto plant in Detroit. Or other plants, for that matter. Boxer - If you want to live in a factory or warehouse, Detroit is your place. Also the home of the largest abandoned railroad station in the world.

The good news is that the city IS improving. Mayor Bing is working his butt off to bring 'er back (hope he's doing OK - last I heard he was in the hospital). As the Former Big Three do better, that helps, too. Last time I was there, Greektown was still nice and there are some beautiful neighborhoods like Rosedale Park.

But there's FAR too much desolation. Best of luck to a once-grand city.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss 2 View Post
            at 1:58 theres an e12 bmw 5 series in the same color as my e28 535i haha
            he traded it for a candy bar

Comment

one party rule ...and redistributing other peoples money has crazy results ...don't it ?

Comment

CNN had an article a week ago stating that the median price of a home in central Detroit was $6000.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                  CNN had an article a week ago stating that the median price of a home in central Detroit was $6000.
                  wow.

believe it or not, bangor maine is worse. ..and prices hang on to...I don't want to know the cult that puts it there.
                  at least detroit has proof there was something wrong after leaping into fairy tales.

detroit is warmer, bodies of water, a breeze without a bowl valley magnifying temps...and not doing literally the opposite into 30F below.

I would seriously go there.
                  no need to be sad rapping.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 15, 2012, 03:58 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

GOOD RATS taking it TO Detroit

Comment

So is he squatting? I'm surprised he has electricity. I thought I may be envious of him, but nope, that is a cluttered nightmare. Neat in concept, but not the cool execution I had hoped for.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

AT 2:37, He says that the current owner wants him there, so he isn't squatting.
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Having a guy like that to watch over a huge place in a 'hood nobody else wants to live in? I'd say the owner is getting a good deal.

A friend of mine has been hired to watch over a huge out of business paper plant south of kalamazoo - not the size of the packard plant but still nearly a million square feet under roof. It's difficult to imagine the problems of trying to utilize that much space that was never intended to be divided. It's a monumental under taking. So far the ony income stream has been storage space for boats and RVs.

I thought the movie industry and Detroit was a perfect marriage - hard to imagine a better place to make a horror film than all the abanodoned old factories. Ford's Highland park plant is still used for storage and parts of it are no better than the packard plant. The train station is depressing as hell.

I hope Bing and Snyder can work it out.... they have a huge battle on their hands.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto View Post
                            AT 2:37, He says that the current owner wants him there, so he isn't squatting.
                            I must of not caught that.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              So is he squatting? I'm surprised he has electricity. I thought I may be envious of him, but nope, that is a cluttered nightmare. Neat in concept, but not the cool execution I had hoped for.
                              Was thinking the same thing.........few more creature comforts (less creatures) and
                              less clutter.
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X