X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling new bolt pattern on wheels

I came across a smokin deal on some 15x15 Centerline Auto drags with Mickeys already mounted. The problem is they're a ford bolt pattern, and my T bucket if chevy. Is it safe to drill another set of holes, or would adapters be the easiest solution?
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Re: Drilling new bolt pattern on wheels

Not safe drilling new holes. Safe would be wheel adapters.
    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
    DW- 12
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Not safe drilling new holes. Safe would be wheel adapters.

Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012...?? workin on 2014(Hopefully)

Comment

I think adaptors are probably the better choice. I had the rotors on the back of the 'Stang redrilled for 4 lug (I've kept the 4 lug for now) and I'm OK with that but they're clamped between the axle flange and the wheel. So yeah, adaptors.

Dan

Comment

What about new axles?
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

or redrilling the axles?
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Some wheels you can drill a second bolt pattern in between the first, if there's enough meat in between them to add it. Not sure if Auto Drags fall into this category or not. The other catch is you've got to drill them pretty precisely to avoid vibration...

Comment

Redrill the axles and spindles. I have had this done and it works fine. If you have 5 hole Chevy pattern now, a 5 hole Ford will fit between them no problem.

I would not alter a wheel for any reason- especially an aluminum wheel. That could cause excessive stresses in a weak area and cause the wheel to fail.
                Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

My centerlines don't snug up on the hub of the axle like factory wheels do. Is there a longer ford axle that the splined end could be cut off and re-splined? I wonder if the bearing size would be close enough that an over/under size could be used.
                  I would have to see how much meat would be between the newly drilled stud holes and the old holes to be for sure.

Comment

Just get the right wheels!
                    Last edited by BBR; February 8th, 2012, 07:01 AM.

1973 F-250 460/C6 -Camper Special 1983 Mustang GT 545/C6 - 10.46 @ 130 - Drag Week 2012 - Street Race BB N/A runner-up

Comment

Just get the right wheels!
                      I had to face palm myself after that comment.....Sometimes the easiest solution is the one most over looked.

Comment

"get the right wheels" is the best answer, redrill the axles if there's enough meat is the next best, but redrilling the wheels and using spacers are both pretty flaky....

ebay 260949192368

Ask how they measured them, might be they measured the outside instead of the inside of the lip.
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

How much will it cost to pull the axles and have them re-drilled... ?
                          How much are QUALITY adapters? will they increase your track width?
                          How much for the right wheels?

Craigslist those rims and buy the right ones..... adapters are a hassle and ya really shouldn't have a ford bolt pattern on your GM/Mopar/AMC rearend....its cornfusing! .....imo.....2cts
                          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I came across a smokin deal on some 15x15 Centerline Auto drags with Mickeys already mounted. The problem is they're a ford bolt pattern, and my T bucket if chevy. Is it safe to drill another set of holes, or would adapters be the easiest solution?
                            Auto Drags have a machined ring in between the draw-formed halves with full material in that area and can safely have another pattern drilled in. You have to accurately drill the pattern in 1/4" diameter or so (using a transfer-punch template you can make using a divider and scale on a piece of 1/16" aluminum) then follow that with an 11/16 (if I recall correctly) "aircraft" counterbore with the correct-size pilot in a drill press or something that will hold the cutter straight. The tires will probably have to be dismounted to fit in most drill presses and of course the wheels have to have a solid placing on the table.

Adaptors will have to have enough thickness to accomodate the length of a proper stud and nut on the base pattern, that will bring the increased track width and associated increased stresses on axles etc. along with it. We all may have to use adaptors at times but they are not usually the first desired choice.

I've re-drilled swapmeet Auto Drags a handful of times for myself and others...easily, precisely, safely...and this is the first time I've ever heard someone say it wouldn't work. Perhaps there's a different kind I don't know about. In any event I'm guessing you might ask somebody who's already set up for wheel mods and make your choices with their input.
                            sigpic

Comment

I would re-drill before considering running an adaptor. Adaptors are usually a very poor choice for a variety of reasons. IMO adaptors would be a mistake from the get-go. It has been the better part of twenty years since I last ran a set of Centerline Autodrags, but if it is, as I remember, solid center in the mounting area, a re-drill of the pattern should be no problem. Some wheel shops will do this pretty cheap and more accurately than DIY on a drill-press. It might be worthwhile rather than try and find some that are priced right, and the right bolt pattern. Swapping axles, redrilling brakes, housing ends, bearings - now that is purely insane to get the wheels to bolt on. Like others have suggested, you are going to be way ahead to sell these and buy some other wheels befoe going through all that BS.

Comment

I wonder (out loud) about the legality of redrilling. Wheels are DOT approved in a specific form, redrilling would reduce their strength - thus could cause you all sorts of grief if they broke.... I doubt this is any more legal, but would certainly be stronger - maybe if you slotted the wheels rather than redrill?
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 8th, 2012, 08:59 PM.
                                It only takes one aweshit to erase a dozen attaboys

Comment

I wonder (out loud) about the legality of redrilling. Wheels are DOT approved in a specific form, redrilling would reduce their strength - thus could cause you all sorts of grief if they broke.... I doubt this is any more legal, but would certainly be stronger - maybe if you slotted the wheels rather than redrill?
                                  Redrilling a second bolt pattern opposite the original will not have an effect on the wheel's strength, so this is much hand-wringing over nothing.
                                  -dulcich
                                  Last edited by dulcich; February 8th, 2012, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Centerline (and other) wheels often come with two bolt patterns... so I don't know that drilling a second pattern in a wheel with a single pattern is any reason to be alarmed... as long as it'd done accurately.

Comment

I agree with both YM and dulcich (d - wondering outloud is not hand wringing).... but I would like to see how removing material wouldn't affect the strength? I've seen enough wheels break under high-load right at the lug nuts, to at least ask the question. Slotting isn't what I'm talking about, drilling more holes in the weakest part of the rim is where I'm curious.

So dulcich, you just stirring the pot or is there something behind what you've said that you can teach?
                                      It only takes one aweshit to erase a dozen attaboys

Comment

I agree with both YM and dulcich (d - wondering outloud is not hand wringing).... but I would like to see how removing material wouldn't affect the strength? I've seen enough wheels break under high-load right at the lug nuts, to at least ask the question. Slotting isn't what I'm talking about, drilling more holes in the weakest part of the rim is where I'm curious.

So dulcich, you just stirring the pot or is there something behind what you've said that you can teach?
                                        No offence meant by the "Hand wringing" comment, I apologize if it was a poor choice of expression. I believe that the Autodrags were pretty strong as far as material, it was a forged center if I remember right. Some wheels of this type, I believe it was the old Welds came double drilled as OEM. Perhaps the best bet for the OP is to check with a wheel shop and get their opinion and a cost estimate, and then determine if modifying these wheels or replacing them is the more sensible course of action, considering the cost and the opinion of the shop. A buddy of mine has had the BP changed in a set of wheels this way; the shop was in Riverside CA and price was cheap. They actually filled the original holes (welded, I believe).

As far as the strength of a double-drilled Centerline Autodrag, I can say for sure that I can't put any more real analysis on it beyond my off-hand opinion. As a final note, I think the wheels will look kind of ugly with two bolt patterns and the mod will certainly hurt the resale value. I think the old Welds came with unsightly (IMO) plugs in the extra stud holes.
                                        -dulcich
                                        Last edited by dulcich; February 9th, 2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X