Anyone still use CB radios anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone still use CB radios anymore?

I was at a truck stop and seen them. I was thinking about getting one again. But, would I be listening to nothing but static now that everyone had ipods, cds, dvd players, and annoying family members in their cars to keep them entertained?
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

They're pretty much the official communication medium of LSR, so that's where I hear them. Outside of that, no clue. I don't yet have one in the truck so I haven't been listening in on the highway.

Dan

Comment

I like ours when we are on the road.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I take a hacked Uniden President when I head out for a trip.
        Shelter animals make great pets

Comment

Best radar detector, ever... very helpful when taking trips.

Comment

Yep, when I'm out with friends 4x4ing, or pretty much anything in the woods - it's the only reliable communication device.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 9, 2011, 07:03 AM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I didn't know that C B was still alive !!!!!
              Danny/Zachary
              HRPT '08 LH, '09 Days 6 & 7, '10 LH

Comment

I think about getting one every time I leave town. One day I'll buy one or my Parents will on my Birthday or something. One of those things I want but can never convince myself to buy.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have a Cobra 148GTL that needs some tlc. Got it from a retired truck driving friend so it has sentimental value...

Comment

Dad and his friends all have one in their hot rods. Its easy to communicate when on the road left lane or exit ahead that type of stuff. But when the women go go along they usually end up missing exits because the time it takes to text.
                    Jeff
                    Follow My Build

Comment

Cb's are very much alive in the trucking world. I see many 4 wheelers more and more every day having them, although not as many cars, trucks and vans as in the 70's and 80's. Lots of info on the net doing mods to them also.
                      Cobra 148GTL is a good radio, but the one everbody likes now is a Connex. Most Cobras and Unidens share parts, Unidens are a better buy.

Comment

I have one with GPS (Garmin), it's the most handy thing in the woods - to be able to give an exact location is kind of important for one of my hobbies - so this thing is literally a lifesaver.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ya can't find a lot lizzard with a GPS either....one of my hobbies.....
                          I'm just joking
                          Originally posted by TC
                          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by scoop View Post

Best radar detector, ever... very helpful when taking trips.
                            X's 2 on this ...

I this same radio, I use it on long trips, it is set up to be quick to install and removal and I have a car and truck antenna...I love mine

To answer the OP...they suck for intown use but once out on the road...they are worth every penny if for nothing more than entertainment.
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Back in the '70's we all had 'em in our company cars.
                              They were entertaining to listen to on long trips.

I went from Tulsa to St. Louis once.........doing over 80 mph the
                              entire trip......the CB was my friend.
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X