Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your general tune up consist of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does your general tune up consist of?

Getting ready to give the mustang a tune up for the year and just wanted to make sure I cover all of my bases.

I know I will be purchasing the following
    -plugs
    -wires
    -brad penn oil(the green good stuff on sale)
    -oil filter
    -air cleaner(I might have another one somewhere)

Plan on checking the antifreeze, but I also plan on swapping radiators and elec fan in the near future so unless its horrid I might wait to put fresh new antifreeze in.

Also want to check the timing and check the carb over. I was kinda waiting for someone with more knowledge to teach me how to do it the RIGHT way. Going to see if I can have one of my dads friends come over and exchange knowledge for beer ;D

This is all I can think of at the moment. I plan on checking the brakes and nut/bolt check the car when its in the air putting exhaust on.

Any input is appreciated.

Jeff
    Follow My Build

Re: What does your general tune up consist of?

Check all hoses/belts. Any chassis grease points. Fuel filter. Cabin filter (if it has one, don't think the Mustang does). Check the alternator voltage. Grease hinges. Check cap and rotor. Take the battery to O'Reilly's (or wherever) and have them test it out of the car. Check all lights (including interior)...
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

I probably should pick up a fuel filter for what they cost. When I bought the car it had a strong dose of seafoam mixed in the tank. Just getting the last of that ran out of it when I can.  I do have a head light gremlin also when the high beams are on.  I should try to duplicate the problem when another set of eyes are on it and try to trace it down.  I think it could be a relay, but not 100% on that.

What do you guys think about adding a clear inline fuel filter near the carb? For what they cost would it be worth the added security with the cheap gas I run through it?  Or is it over kill?

Also ... Is there something I can buy for a vacuum block off that would be better than fuel line with a screw in it? I have been fighting one on the carb that keeps coming off for some reason. Some sort of cap?
      Jeff
      Follow My Build

Comment

Summit sells vacuum line cap assortments, comes with every size that you would commonly use to block off vacuum ports. Most auto parts stores have kits on the shelf too. I picked up a rubber kit from Advance Auto a few years auto, but the caps only last about a year until they dry-rot and fall off. Summit's kit (link below) seems to be of good quality and the caps last a lot longer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1390/

As far as the clear filter - are you planning to add this as a secondary filter? In addition to the factory filter?
        Still plays with trucks....

Comment

depends on the car, most never live long enough to make their first oil change ;D

however,
          the list above is good except I'd never use lanolin wax based oil.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

ummmm, I think the last time I gave the 55 a "tune up" it consisted of pulling the plugs out, scraping off the some deposits, and putting them back in.

Get the original owners manual, read up on required maintenance. It's all in there.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

trans and diff fluids?

Stay away from the plastic/glass fuel filters ... fire waiting to happen, especially if there is (knock on wood) an accident.
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                ummmm, I think the last time I gave the 55 a "tune up" it consisted of pulling the plugs out, scraping off the some deposits, and putting them back in.

Get the original owners manual, read up on required maintenance. It's all in there.

I like that tune up. :D

mine gets a flush, geiger counter, a blast wall for the hydrazine, hadron collider portable version, a zoot suit area flashing lights and signs, the army national guard nbc news and helicopters. ???
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

on a car like yours..first tune up since buy'n it

1) plugs ,cap rotor
                  2) check wires if original, replace, if not ohm them
                  3) check the dissy advance weights/spring movement
                  4) it's a ford.. the module on the dissy are known to go..
                  I'd get another the next time I'm in junkyard, or replace and keep old in glovebox
                  5)compression test, dry and wet, leakdown test
                  6)check belts,hoses (you said a new rad was soon, replace hoses then)
                  don't know if your car has a serp belt.. check it if questionable.. replace and store old in car..(you never know)
                  7) clean battery and cables, and check and fix any questionable repairs under hood (crimp connectors suck )
                  8) air and fuel filter and check your fuel lines (don't know about rust in your area, but here)
                  9) look over vacuum lines and check pcv valve note any valvecover leaks
                  10) clean carb.. start and adjust timing,idle, if headers check bolts
                  11) look over the rubber brake lines and spray the bleaders with pb blaster(you'll thank me the first brake job)
                  I always check the pads and shoes
                  12)grease anything that ford left to grease..
                  13) check u joints..
                  14) check wipers and washer pump
                  15) check all lights and horn
                  16) grease all door hinges and latches

Comment

If all you had to do was scrape crap off your plugs, then switching to EFI would make this a maintenance-free vehicle!!

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

If all you had to do was scrape crap off your plugs, then switching to EFI would make this a maintenance-free vehicle!!

really,, my 88 ford efi truck
                      clean throd body, air filter, fuel filter, wires,plugs,cap,rotor, fords wonderfull ign module, belts hoses, fuilds, clean battery,,
                      oh ya, valve cover leak, remove upper intake,, pcv valve, vacuum lines,
                      so you change cleaning carb for cleaning throttle body and idle stepper motor..
                      big change

Comment

you mean it'll fix the oil burning? wow!
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

negative, for that you'll need to upgrade to a 2JZ toyota engine ;)
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

clean and torque grounds

Comment

negative, for that you'll need to upgrade to a 2JZ toyota engine ;)
                              ZING! Haha, :D :P That was pretty funny.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X