Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local speed shops

Originally posted by nosnerd

i just drove an hour with my buddy to go and see (spy ;D :) Youngs Speed Shop in Ottawa (Ont)

whoa.nice guy.very genuine.but no inventory and 1/2 what he has is dated from the mid 90s..... :-\
    I didn't even know there was a speed shop in Ottawa, I'm a little relieved to hear that. I just found out there's a Princess Auto there, too-and only a 15 minute drive from our new apartment!

Comment

stallion speed shop in stamford, ct ...mustang guy , I think I was the biggest customer

then I quit cadillac , think he closed up

Comment

Go see Norm Brandes at Westech Auto in Silver Lake near Kenosha. Great shop and a really knowledgeable staff.

Dan

Originally posted by ch1ll
        Speed shops? I'm having a hard time finding any shop with a hot tank to boil a block and heads in Milwaukee.
        One guy told me he just acid washes them, I'm thinking environmental laws.

Speaking of environmental laws, any one know what the old crab dip was for cleaning carbs? New stuff is methylene chloride, which is the same as paint remover and doesn't do a very good job.

Comment

The old carb dip stuff I used to use was called "hydroseal" as you needed to keep a layer of water on top of it to keep it from evaporating - it had a redish color to it and it was NASTY - I'm certain you can't get it anymore.

The stuff I got in the gallon can is OK but nothing compared to the good old days - the other issue with a gallon can is the basket isn't big enough for the base plate or main body of a holley 4bl.

Hogwash spray carb cleaner was great stuff too.

As far as hot tanks - I know of very few shops that have them anymore - there is one place that has huge vats around here - for the princely sum of $4200 they'll acid dip, then ecoat your entire car for ya..... too rich for my blood.

A couple shops around here have the "dishwasher" type units - they work pretty well but don't get all the paint off - and it's hard to see if they do much cleaning of the inside cooling passages at all.

One shop around here has a different process - they BAKE the parts at a high temperature to burn off all the bad stuff including paint - then they have a huge blaster type thing that shoots shot at the parts from all directions - comes out looking new.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

redi strip
            hot tanks in machine shops went out a long time ago
            now they have the bake and agitate - works even better

Comment

Thanx Dan, I'll have to give him a call.

Ya know, hot tanking, I believe is the only way to get stuck sand out of a motor that was cast with sand cores in the water jackets.

As for the carb dip, yeah it was nasty but it worked, stuff came out with no green stuck to it. Although I'm not really a wrench, I worked a summer in a motorcycle repair shop about 18 years ago. That's the last time I saw the good stuff. Just wish I knew what chemical it was cause you could buy it from a chemical company for some other intended use.

Comment

Working...
              X