Proper Way to do a Burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Way to do a Burnout

So with the other thread showing the guy smoking his clutch in his Vette, I thought it'd be cool to get peoples outlook on how to do a proper burnout. For me at the track I set the line lock, put the car in second gear, hit the gas to get the tires spinning, let it shift into second and steadily hold the rpm's up while getting the tires hot. Then I release the line lock and slowly lifting the throttle until it starts to hook up and then I hit the brakes.

So how do you do your burnouts??

Re: Proper Way to do a Burnout

look at my avatar. Another "how not to do a burnout" lesson...I had swapped in a new converter just before the trip, and didn't realize that mostly what I was doing was making the trans hot (I didn't rev it high enough). I apologized to the Hot Rod photog about how lame it was, but I guess they liked the picture anyways.

Although Chad got me doing a pretty good one at the drags....right at the beginning of the video

Making a timed run with my blown 55 Chevy at Fontana drag strip, on the CarJunkieTV drag bash. The CJTV guys have moved to http://www.freiburgersjunkyard.com/

line loc on, first, shift to second, see smoke in front the car, let go of the line loc
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I prefer the Tom Conway style......roll through the water at about 40 mph and light 'em up so there's nothing but bead locks showing (you know, take a 17" tire and make a 9" track) for about 120 feet.....trim the fuel back and come to a stop. Push the clutch in and drop it in reverse let the clutch out and back up at about 60 mph, never touching the clutch the whole way......You'd have to see it person to really know what I mean, He did it 4 times at Norwalk last year.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Or else just like old Dick Garlets in my avatar at Pomona in '06. Do a 7000rpm piston say hello to the exhaust valve for a 5 count burn out..then back up pushing the clutch in and out for 300ft in reverse, and stage at 1200 degrees....no wait, you said proper..i thought you said spectatular.
        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Automatic RWD: Drop to 2nd, get the tires spinning until there's barely smoke, roll out while rolling off the throttle.

Manual RWD: In water, clutch dump 1st, switch clutch foot to brake long enough to get the car out of water and settled to a stationary burnout. At a little smoke, release brake, engage clutch and let the car roll forward.

Automatic FWD: foot on E-brake, ready to release. TRAC off. Spin tires, without turning steering wheel. Release E-brake at first signs of smoke and roll out, keeping steering wheel steady.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

A/Fuel-- if you have enough power, then they way to do a burnout is to just look at the "go" pedal, right?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

You can definitely tell which guys use throttle stops on the big hp cars like Scott wrenches on. The throttle stop guys have a nice linear sounding RPM curve while the other guys tend to wing it higher and back the throttle off to less stratospheric levels.

(obviously the throttle stop is removed when the run is made.)

I *Think* those cars, like top fuelers have about 1-2 inches of total throttle play from closed to wide open
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

With the Turbo 400, pull thru the water box, hit the brakes, start in 2nd till the rpms get up to 5,000 or so then shift to 3rd and release brake and keep your foot in it till the tires smack and then you know she's ready to hook!

Comment

Automatic car that does not do a burnout across the starting line: Put car in first gear. Roll through the water, and never ever ever ever ever ever ever spin the tires to get them wet. All you do then is get water in the rear wheel wells, and drip all over the track and your tires. Just roll through the water to the edge of the box towards the starting line. Set linelock, and wack it. Shift into second/high if it's a glide, and then into third if it's a 3 speed, and hold at whatever rpm your car will like. For my Camaro it's 5000 or so. The car will tell you when the tires are hot enough by changing pitch, and/or by dropping rpm slightly as the tires start to "hook". This is when the tires are right. If you drive through this point by much, they will get greasy and be useless. When they reach this point, drive out of the water under power. You want to ease out of the throttle once the car is hooked and driving, not while the tires are still spinning. This will break things once they do hook.

Stick car that does not do a burnout across the starting line: This depends on what trans you have, what gears you have, and whether it is a race car or not. If you are not going to shift in the water, I suggest second gear, or third if you have enough rearend gear. Depends on your clutch too. Anyway, if you just go for second gear, roll through the water to the edge of the box, make sure you are in the right gear, set the linelock and rev the motor. Dump the clutch FAST. The faster you get your foot off the clutch the better of you will be. And your clutch will like you more too. Smoke until the motor pulls down just as before and drive it out of the water.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                    You can definitely tell which guys use throttle stops on the big hp cars like Scott wrenches on. The throttle stop guys have a nice linear sounding RPM curve while the other guys tend to wing it higher and back the throttle off to less stratospheric levels.

(obviously the throttle stop is removed when the run is made.)

I *Think* those cars, like top fuelers have about 1-2 inches of total throttle play from closed to wide open
                    On an Automan injector, it's 9/64's thottle blade opening.....very small, but prety damn cool when you are standing on the track, watching this thing come at you and all you can see is bead locks and smoke...knowing you just towed up to the line after you kicked the rods out an hour an half before...
                    I don't need to drive....my heart is racing, and i'll relax with my camaro and a hot dog this spring....
                    Originally posted by TC

Comment

Big converter, line lock, reasonable power, 4.11s, average tires, lack of brains and heavy shoes. :P

Comment

I am such a failure then. I am too simple-minded and incompetent to follow such complicated procedures. With the car in drive, I just transfer my foot from the brake to the gas pedal and the tires start squealing and rubber starts burning and the car eventually leaves the line and after about 50-100 yards the tires stop burning. I guess I'll never make it in the big leagues. :'(
                        President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

I set the line lock, start in drive, let the car shift into high gear automatically (shifts at around 3500), see a touch of smoke in the side rear view mirror, let off the line lock and pull out of the water under power. Then I roll directly to the line and light the top (prestage) bulb.

My trans guy doesn't want me just letting off the throttle suddenly, says it breaks parts (sprag, case,etc).
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad
                            Stick car that does not do a burnout across the starting line: This depends on what trans you have, what gears you have, and whether it is a race car or not. If you are not going to shift in the water, I suggest second gear, or third if you have enough rearend gear. Depends on your clutch too. Anyway, if you just go for second gear, roll through the water to the edge of the box, make sure you are in the right gear, set the linelock and rev the motor. Dump the clutch FAST. The faster you get your foot off the clutch the better of you will be. And your clutch will like you more too. Smoke until the motor pulls down just as before and drive it out of the water.

Ditto

Comment

I like to be on the far edge of the water almost out, line lock 2nd gear bring it up hit third smoke starts let go of the button drive out till it pulls down then let off graduley.

30 plus years of watching Doc's cars, I still love his John Force style burnouts

2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                              X