Banned for life - no more big car shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banned for life - no more big car shows

My bro just got his show registrations returned for both his 73 Z28s from ChevyVetteFest in Chicago. He's been going for more than 10 years and when they give him the OK to do a burnout, he does a crowd pleaser. The show is twice a year and many times they say no burnouts, and he cooperates.

I kind of don't like car shows anyway, so I said let it go. His cars shine and are pretty fast. One is a semi-stock 383 (all stock quadrajet with new crank/rods/pistons and worked on heads) that goes 12.5 and the green one making smoke in the picture hits high 10s/low 120s w/o the 350 shot of juice (427 dart sbc). They're both Type LT RS Z28s. He's got a lot of pride in what he's done and seems to like the big show (vettefest) almost as much as going to the track.

I was curious what people think he should do? Let it go? Plead his case? (Although he tried this and supposedly someone from the show's insurance company saw the last display, has it on tape, and said no to the 1st plea - even though the show workers at the exit door told him to go for it.) Have one of his friends register the cars? I'm telling him to let it go, but ask for a copy of the tape.
    Tampa, FL

Re: Banned for life - no more big car shows

sell it and buy a ford, the dark side will take him..

Comment

Let it go. There's better ways to make friends.
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Did they actually tell him that he was banned for life? Can you post a copy of the letter that he got from them? I don't think I have ever heard of any one getting banned from a car show.

I agree with your thoughts about car shows. I don't mind going and looking every once in awhile, but to me sitting at a car show is just a waste of time that I could use to be driving my car.
        1964 Chevelle
        Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
        LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Sounds like someone did not follow the rules and maybe has a propensity for doing so. Not bashing your bro, but something flagged these people enough that they know and recognize his name out of a stack of others.

Comment

register for him...

Comment

Screw them! It sound like people forgot about the incentive in owning one of these cars. F.U.N. I'm sorry if all I could do was roll it out on a lawn and sit, I'd be bummed. I'd say screw the show and head on up to Byron for some racing! He will at least be appreciated there.

Mike

Comment

Take the day to volunteer somewhere

Give a senior a ride, be a big brother to some kid who has no dad ..Feed the homeless , etc ..Pay it forward
                and learn to abide by the rules in the future
                sigpic

Comment

theres other shows. take it to them..he probably shouldnt do burnouts at the shows anymore though.. theres a contest at a track ive visited a few times here in iowa with a burnout contest, its 5 dollars to enter, and if you win you get the money collected..

also i can see how the burnout probably ruffled some feathers, if every car, hell, every 100th car at a big show did a little exhibition of speed.. i can see a wicked can of worms opened up, anything from oldsters losing control of their t-buckets and running over someone, to the tree huggers and or neighbors getting the show shut down over the noise and smoke.. really a good burnout is great fun, and i enjoy seeing one, but i understand how it can screw over the other gearheads if the MAN gets involved, like the cops or the city..there are people out there that have nothing better to do all day then to ruin someone else's fun..

Comment

He finally got to talk with the guy (xxx) and he's probably not really banned from all shows forever, but his cars will not be entering the Rosemont Horizon facility any time soon with anyone driving unless he gets different license plates on both of them.

He's definitely a troublemaker, but also a good kid (40yrs old). I'm sure someone from the show told him to do it but had no idea what he was about to do.

I don't have the letter to post, but here's some of the email traffic for your entertainment (last email is 1st). Hope he just lets it go.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    From xxx:
                    The video shows differently. The decision was passed down by my Boss, who is one of the owners of Championship Auto Shows, Inc. and has very strict rules regarding this type of activity. The building Manager also advised us that they would not stand for this in any way, shape or form and I know that Mike D. made this quite clear on stage before the awards presentation.

I understand your disappointment and know that you have been a long time participant and supporter of the event, but my boss is not flexible on his decision.

xxx
                    Championship Auto Shows, Inc
                    AutoRama/World of Wheels
                    Chevy/Vettefest
                    Show Manager
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Plea from bro:
                    I have been going to this show for over ten years always followed rules .i never do it unless u guys allow it . when i left show i was directed to back door by show employees who insisited on me doing that. i would never do anything to that was not allowed. i am the 1st Illinois Camaro Club to join show and since then have brought more members every year.Please reconsider i would never of done it if show personel did not insist. again sorry about this but please dont kick me out of the show
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Reply from xxx:
                    Just a “heads-up”. Due to this behavior at the November show, we will not be able to allow you to show with us again. We will be returning your applications.

Our potential liability and potential for disaster forces this decision. Your “performance” was caught on the building security camera’s and Championship Auto Shows, Inc. and the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center can not permit or condone this type of activity.

xxx
                    Championship Auto Shows, Inc
                    AutoRama/World of Wheels
                    Chevy/Vettefest
                    Show Manager
                    Email from bro to show in Dec:
                    hey xxx chevyfest was awesome show in november it was great doing burnouts leaving back door can u send me my judges sheets for my 2 73 camaros thanks for the great show and giving are iilinois camaro club are best club show ever see u in april

Tampa, FL

Comment

I would say let it go. Then load it up and go to a drag strip.

Comment

Let it go! If they don't want him then he doesn't need them. Go racing instead.

Comment

take them on DW

Comment

The owners of Championship Auto Show has never condoned burnouts when leaving. If the exit area is anything like it is in Detroit it's JAMED full of hundreds of folks trying to get a peak at the cars in motion. They use tables to try to hold the crowd back. There are also hoards of people outside who didn't want to pay to get it but come at 8pm to get a look at the cars leaving.

Burnouts in an uncontrolled situation lead to tragedy....just ask the folks (yes thats plural) that died this past summer at a car event in TN when a car did a burnout, lost control and smashed into a crowd of people watching. Oh wait, you can't ask them cuz they are DEAD.

The owners of Championship have a multi million dollar organization to protect, I don't balme them one bit.

BTW, ALOT of the folks helping out at their shows are members of local car clubs and not paid employees of Championship. They can say whatever they want to say, doesn't mean it's "legal" or allowed. Burnout are illegal and STUPID to do in a crowded situation.

A 15-year-old, a 17-year-old, and others in their early 20s were killed last night during something called an "exhibition burnout" in Selmer, Tennessee. One of the cars spun out of control and into the crowd, killing seven and injuring at least 15 more. From the AP:

The number of people killed after a drag-racing car veered into a crowd of spectactors in Selmer, Tenn., has risen to six, authorities said on Sunday.

Comment

an old man's $0.02 - - - if this is something that is important to him and he is passionate about doing then he should probably try and rectify but, if not, then new doors will probably start opening once he walks away - - - - however, only he will know that 8)

(if it was me, ??? F'em)

Comment

Working...
                              X