No announcement yet.

Richard Hammond Is Airlifted To Hospital After Flipping $2,548,562.77 Supercar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon engine sound plays a big part in telling the driver vehicle speed.
    High rpm noise tells you to back off the throttle,
    without that noise the driver is lulled into a sense
    of security.
    The vehicle doesn't sound "stressed".

For "pinned together" people search Barry Sheene.
    Last edited by malc; June 12, 2017, 11:22 PM.

Comment

as long as he avoids electricity, he'll be ok.
      those pins suck.

I got dwarf star sprites in my ct scan, going through the layers..

stainless does fail.
      he should buy rubber clothes, and boots... maybe waders.
      daily clothing... to continue to race.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

"Emil Schmid, from the salvage firm which removed the vehicle, said: 'For the bystander it may have looked as if a few clowns were standing around the wreck for hours without doing anything.
        But the built-in energy packages in an electric car continue to work after a crash and keep the temperatures very high.'

He said: 'I had never had such an expensive wreck on my truck."

Would´ve been neat to use salvaged metal from the wreck inside Hammond´s knee....

The Grand Tour star, 57, said his knees 'went to jelly' when he realised that his friend and co-star had flown off the Swiss road at 120mph 'in the biggest crash I have ever seen'.

Comment

Looks like a very big bent thumb . So, basically it looks awful.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
            Looks like a very big bent thumb . So, basically it looks awful.
            When my hip was put in, I had 2 of those..in a reverse 7 shape on my buttock.. Steel goes from socket, inside the femur to the knee..
            Used to set off the airport scanner.. Not anymore.

Comment

My wife has three vertebrae in her neck held together with a titanium plate and eight screws.
              We thought that would cause problems at airports but it never has.

Comment

watching the video, I don't think it was his fault. You expect a supercar to have better aero - but since it's a car that hums, they don't want the drag.... so anchor the brakes, unload the rear, and off you go into the weeds. Really poor design. Should he have known better? yeah, but still that flaw is like the Mustang-crowd-eaters.... They put more HP then the car was capable of controlling - with similar results.

Top Gear, after driving the Koenigsegg, said that if they put a wing on the car that it'd be faster and they were right. That e-car had no active aero - so when he hit the brakes for a corner any other supercar would eat..... tail end got light and over he went.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                  My wife has three vertebrae in her neck held together with a titanium plate and eight screws.
                  We thought that would cause problems at airports but it never has.
                  20 yrs ago I had to carry a note from dr saying "surgical steel implanted"
                  10 yrs ago, the dr said it was not needed..
                  Wonders of technology.
                  It sure lit up the scanner and security came running!
                  "Ohh I forgot to give you this" (handing over note). They were not happy.. Nor was wifey as we almost missed our flight

Seems the guys on Top Gear/GT would know to regconize if a car will do what that car did?
                  Did he build up his speed or just went all out?

Comment

Unless something broke , it's his fault . It's his job to know his and the cars limitations .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

TV presenters are required to be race car drivers? He can't even go in a straight line - so what'd they think was going to happen when they put corners in?
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        TV presenters are required to be race car drivers? He can't even go in a straight line - so what'd they think was going to happen when they put corners in?
                        Weren't they racers or top amaturs before landing this gig?
                        If I didn't become a blubbering fool in front of a camera-microphone, I oughta bullshitz my way into driving a 2 mil car!

Comment

They probably got driving instruction from the "Stig".

Comment

Hammond gets a "hot rod" to move around until his knee heals...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...heelchair.html

Comment

Working...
                            X