Gutters are a Draining Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutters are a Draining Experience

The joys of home ownership. Said lightly. There's always something, but it's your own stuff and you own it, lots to be gained from ownership but lots to take care of, on whatever level you care about details.

Today i came home from work, and noticed something outside. It takes me FOREVER to "notice" anything, like the funeral home gaudy flowered wallpaper in the kitchen when we bought the house, that took a year for me to finally "see" it.That one pidding downspout outside the garage, I pass four feet from it every day, there's mold growing on the concrete right there. And it's drip, drip, drip, a drop per minute. It hasn't rained in a week. That downspout was plugged up. Not the gutter, the downspout.

Minor detail, not hurting a thing, out comes the 8-foot ladder, and i hate a ladder worse than I hate getting underneath a car. But I did it, easy job actually. Lots of hardware involved, ladder, water hose, Sue unit and Superman Jr., but we got it all done. THERE. No more more minor problem for a while.

When we first first got this house, well even now ongoing, street vendors go door to door trying to sell stuff, lots of doors to hit in our neighborhood with a short amount of walking. One guy was selling Gutter Guard, the stuff on the TV commercials. Why we ever let him in the house I'll never know. I must have been on a happy drunk that day or whatever. He had an hour and a half spiel about the product. And it was going to take an hour and a half or hell was going to freeze, that very day. he would not stop, it was rehearsed.

No more leaves in your gutters, ever, guaranteed, don't you want to protect your investment? Every time he paused for breath I asked, "What does it cost?" He'd just keep on selling, the cost comes at the end of the hour and a half presentation.

An hour and a half later, only when HE was ready - five thousand dollars. FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS?!?!?? For GUTTERS? Jeez man, that's a blower, that's nearly a detached garage for GUTTERS? We invited him to leave and he really didn't understand why.

I guess if you sell one of those systems at that cost in two hundred tries, you still make a huge profit on it.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought a large garage or as McGann calls it, a warehome. In this house I literally jacked up the cigarette lighter and replaced everything around it.......and have a large photo album full of pictures so I can remember just how bad it once was and that I PAID for it TWICE....the original mortgage and the rebuild materials....and still managed to pay it off nine years early. I own it outright, no other names on the title, and I can't tell you how close I've come to burning it to the ground just because I can.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Working...
    X