I really don't know what to say .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't know what to say .

I was going to say I did a right bank head and oil pan flush ......... And you know if your going to do it , WHY NOT USE MOBIL1 !!!!

Actual story , right about the time I was pouring in the last of the 5 quart jug in , it dawned on me . YOU FORGOT TO PUT THE PLUG IN YOU IDIOT !!!! That Mobil 1 .......man that stuff runs out fast ! I only saved a quart and a half . Took about a quart of gas and about 5 gallon bucket of oil dry to clean it all up .
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; May 29, 2017, 10:17 PM.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

maybe you should have put the plug in first.... just sayin'
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

damn.
      that is not cheap.

I draw the line at 1000 miles a quart...then the old engines go back to dinosaur to the end.
      if you can keep it in the engine, it does great.

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Yessiree.....done that.
        Serviced a Chevette, the owner gave some wierd
        vegtable based oil to put in it.
        Knew the plug was'nt in when the dreadful stink of
        that oil wafted up.

Comment

Man I hate it when that happens .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I was doing an oil change once and was distracted talking with my buddy and pulled the tranny plug .. when I saw it was red not black I was like; "D'oh" !

Comment

A friend of a friend decided to change the oil in his Toyota somethingcrapbox, swapped the filter, drained the transmission (manual), then filled the motor. Couldn't figure out why it only needed one quart. But decided that it was a new car and they'd figured how to use less oil in oil changes. Drove the car 400 or so miles before he mentioned this to his friend.... filled the transmission and the car was no worse for wear. My theory is he didn't get all the oil out of the transmission....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yep, last time I changed the oil in the truck I kept adding and adding with nothing even showing up on the dipstick. Near the end of the second gallon I heard the dribbling from underneath...at-least I still had a (large) drain pan underneath but had forgotten the pan plug, in a hurry to get ready for a trip and having taken a break for lunch. Back to the store for two more gallons...

Comment

Another learning opportunity. What I hate is when I do something along this line.....TWICE!

Dan

Comment

Last Sunday I decided, after a dreadful trip in the car, to track down the problem.
                    It ran okay after initial start up but as the trip progressed it turned into a nightmare, hesitation, stumbling even cutting out.

I'd fiddled with the fuel pressure setting it at 6psi as instructions stated.....apparently 6/7.5psi can be used......errr no.
                    Itīs now down to 5psi which seems to keep the fuel level where it should be and not up into the vents.
                    So off came the carb and I inspected the float bowls etc., then the metering blocks and jets.......removing the jets and checking sizes sent me back.......a loooong time.
                    I had in the past reduced the jet sizes by two in front and back just for a trial.......which I seemed to have "forgotten", dunno why.
                    I also had apart from going down in size mixed the fronts and rears...........

Finding, also a task, the original jets and installing them has given me the car back.

If it ainīt broke donīt fu...fiddle with it !!
                    Last edited by malc; May 30, 2017, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Damn that sucks. Never forgot to put a drain plug back in but in my youth I did put 10 quarts of oil in a Buick V6. It smoked a LOT.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Dan B I would have for sure "liked" your initial post on this thread, but I wouldn't have liked it if I had done that in the garage myself. Y'all know how much uh-oh stuff I've done, I like laughing at me about it but it's not much fair of fun laughing at anybody else about something THEY went and did.

As noted....That Mobil 1 is not free OR cheap, I cringed right then, looking at that photo to go with your tale. I guess my tale is about changing Red's Mobil 1 out in the driveway that day when the wind was blowing about 30-35 mph. I undid the drain plug and all of the used stuff started going sideways underneath the car and I got a head, face and full torso bath in it. That stuff's not even oil, it's liquid plastic. It won't wash off, Dawn won't even dissolve it. I felt like I had been immersed in wax for about a week, that stuff had to wear off.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          Another learning opportunity. What I hate is when I do something along this line.....TWICE!

Dan
                          But......but I already knew better ! I just failed to do it !
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                            Damn that sucks. Never forgot to put a drain plug back in but in my youth I did put 10 quarts of oil in a Buick V6. It smoked a LOT.
                            ​That's hilarious and makes me feel better .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post

If it ainīt broke donīt fu...fiddle with it !!
                              Yeah , this is pretty much my philosophy .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X