Talk to me about Chevy S10's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about Chevy S10's

Daughters little Acura was wiped out by a distracted driver. Not in the "on the phone douchebag" kind of distracted but the "I just got into town for vacation my kid is puking all over the place and I dont know where the hell I am" distracted driver. Because the accident involved a rental car it took 2 months for the insurance to get their collective heads out of their asses and pay me.

I was not too upset because it was a cheap beater. I paid 500 and I got 3500 for it so...

Anyway,

The girl wants a little truck and there happens to be a nice little S10 Extreme for sale nearby that is really clean.

The truck has 180K on the clock.....High miles but that is par for the course out here. Anything in this price range has loads of miles on it...

Anyone know of any problem areas on these rigs that I should look for (Not rust, we're in Tucson)

I have a few other cars to look on Friday at but I am kinda familiar with those...but the S10 is a mystery...Never delt with them before.

Thanks

Joe
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

they're good rigs - their only issue tends to be transmission related (it fails)... since it's a 2wd 4L60e, you can buy those at 711 for 20 bucks.... motors last forever, nothing under it is rocket science.

oh, and they take V8s like GM was planning to put them in there.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 24, 2017, 04:40 PM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Good little trucks. I was trying to find an Extreme for Robert but all I could find at the time was an extended cab LS with 86k on it. Only issue I've had with it is the fuel sender which is not just with the S10. It has survived 3 years with Robert so they must be tough!
      Last edited by corvettedad; May 24, 2017, 05:34 PM.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

a very universal machine. Still popular here as old and falling apart.. but so is the dakota and ranger.
        Go for it.

it is the wimpy version of the v8 stuff.. but they keep going.
        that same truck has an nv3500.. 200 times daintier than the v8 nv3500. something to be weary of.
        That has been happening since carbed s10s of the early 80s.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Got Sean his 2002 Xtreme in 2007... I drove it for 4 years to work... taught Sean how to drive in it and he still has it to this day... his biggest issues with it have been the CPSFI spider in the manifold with the poppet valves... there is a upgrade for this at a reasonable cost.. No transmission issues(it;s a stick). an a couple small electrical issues.... grounding and bonding in the rust belt up here. I drive a 2003 ZR2 to work... nearing 200K on the clock... biggest issue has been caused by dexcool and it's corrosive properties we caught that on the third day of ownership and since then it has been mostly maintenance on a high mileage vehicle... we are working on a couple of !st gen S10's so we really feel they are great vehicles...
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
            a very universal machine. Still popular here as old and falling apart.. but so is the dakota and ranger.
            Go for it.

it is the wimpy version of the v8 stuff.. but they keep going.
            that same truck has an nv3500.. 200 times daintier than the v8 nv3500. something to be weary of.
            That has been happening since carbed s10s of the early 80s.
            we have beaten the everliving crap out of our NV 3500... behind a modified 4.3 with zero failures...
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Great little trucks . The newer ones, at least the 4 poppers have a hydraulic throw out bearing . Its expensive to have replaced . So , an auto would be good . I find that high mileage 4.3s usually die from blown head gaskets . Most people then junk them or sell them off and get what they can to someone that fixs them or pepple like me that small block them.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

You know those little "Jeep" looking mail trucks that deliver mail to your house???
                Well, they been S-10 based for YEARS!
                Nuff said?

Comment

Ex-coworker had one with close to 300k. No major problems over the years. So I'd say they are good trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    oh, and they take V8s like GM was planning to put them in there.

Comment

And 5 cylinder Diesels with some hacking.

My only experience is with Mutt so probably not applicable to your situation.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        And 5 cylinder Diesels with some hacking.

My only experience is with Mutt so probably not applicable to your situation.

Dan
                        it's a rare builder who takes a slow truck and makes it slower all to get a speed record.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My Father went through several sets of front wheel bearings on his '96 before he sold it around 160k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled View Post
                            My Father went through several sets of front wheel bearings on his '96 before he sold it around 160k miles.
                            Use only Timken bearings now...better results😃
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Buy her some nice custom wheels for it & sell the S10 Extreme wheels to me. I've been looking for a nice, clean set of those for awhile now.
                              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                              X