X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the last circus - barnum and bailey

"keep the circus alive inside you."

last show.
    I was sad at the end.. watched it live. Just ended.

we went several years in seeming a row..
    I was 5 in 1978.

this famous guy was the lion man:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1989@2x.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	1159491

he retired in 1989
    Gunther Gebel-Williams

we took in ajunk yard dog. A very good looking german shepherd.
    He took to me, mean as all hell to everyone.
    I was 12yrs old.

I still associate the circus, and lion people.. taking on the mean old dog.

I grew up christian. James 3:7

"For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind,"

I remember this saying about the circus.

I hoped its a hoax.. the "last" show.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

I can bet that we will be visiting the Circus World Museum in Baraboo Wisconsin in our future...The protesters targeted Ringling Bros. Barnum&Bailey because they were the most visible... I remember the small circuses of the sixties and seventies...they were the real culprits of improper treatment of animals...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

the day happiness died.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I feel for all the children that will not be able to experience the greatest show on earth! I will never forget the wonder and sheer amazement in Sean's eyes when we took him to the circus as a child!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          I feel for all the children that will not be able to experience the greatest show on earth! I will never forget the wonder and sheer amazement in Sean's eyes when we took him to the circus as a child!
          I have two younger siblings, it is a sight to remember.
          it even affected sports pursuits, how far can one go....

I still think it had my subconscious into my twenties.
          We got honor flight in basic training, I flew through everything like an animal.

I still analogize "circus" for sports and military sometimes. Not in a bad way..but shit happens. Get up and try again.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Shame that a few who have nothing better to do have to ruin it for others.

I enjoyed my circus times.. Amazing. Visual. Announcer was babbling nonsense but the show made up for being deaf..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Shame that a few who have nothing better to do have to ruin it for others.

I enjoyed my circus times.. Amazing. Visual. Announcer was babbling nonsense but the show made up for being deaf..
              I went to one circus one time, not the Big One. I believe this one was put on by the University of Florida, like that was a graduate course or something....circus. So many years ago, I don't recall them having animals but the trapeze stuff and the tightwire pyramids on a unicycle and stuff was all just amazing. They had nets set up, but they pulled it all off without a glitch. Amazing.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

hey, the monkey is back from racing.... no need for a circus now
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It started going down hill when the elephants unionized .
                  On a serious note...
                  ​I just wish I'd had the chance to take my grandson to the 'Big Top". Seeing the circus thru the eyes of a child is (was) a wonderful experience. My two grown kids still fondly remember their circus visit.

Comment

Was lucky enough to go to teh 'Big Top' in Long Beach, CA. in teh 50's. My wife had never been to the circus until I was able to take her in Sacramento in 2010. It was Ringling Bros., but no big top. Was at ARCO Arena which was still a great show. As was said before, sorry for the little ones who will never see.

Comment

It's a shame that the times have changed and the circus vilianized for animal cruelty. maybe they should see the savagery in real life of an a wild animal. I find it funny the mayor of NYC Bill de Asshole is against the Hansen horse rides but says nothing of horse racing that brings money into the city.
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                      X