Bubba's Making a Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubba's Making a Noise

Before we went to the Gear Head Inn, I replaced both of the idler pulleys under his hood. There's a whirring noise, I thought for sure I knew which pulley it was, on the tensioner. I just THOUGHT so. It was another comedy of me trying to "fix" something, I ended up taking the Sawzall to a radiator hose support to be able to put enough tension on the tensioner to be able to undo the serpentine belt and replace the pulleys. It worked, new idler pulleys.

But that wasn't "it." That's not where the noise was coming from. Stay with me here, I'm asking for advice. Today I went and got me one of those $10 automotive stethoscopes, ammo determine where that noise is coming from. It's bearings going slowly bad in something, at 98K miles. It's either the alternator or the water pump, the serpentine belt drives it all. Or the power steering pump. I haven't checked it all yet with the brand new $10 stethoscope.

I'll figure that out, haven't done it yet, trying to get up enough courage to go find out.. More beer required, in fact I don't even want to KNOW what it is, but it's there. This afternoon, one more beer, I know it's gonna be a huge job (for me, at least) no matter what it is I need to replace under there.

The real question is....When I find out what it is and get the parts, Bubba is so far up in the air that it's mighty hard for us short people to work under the hood at all. I have plans to put him out in the driveway, he won't fit in the garage with enough room to work on him, take his wheels off, and lower him down to where the front rotors are supporting the front end load on wooden blocks on the ground. So we can work on him in the driveway like true Southern Rednecks without climbing on step stools like chipmunks and cussing like drunk sailors and bleeding like heart donors.

That's the question, will rotors support the front end load with no wheels on them?

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Dang it. It's intermittent. I got all dressed down in the grease clothes and cranked him and he's not doing it. He's not making that noise right now. Whatever it is, it doesn't do it all the time.

That's okay. I've got the stethoscope in the cab, I'll get him. When he does it, wherever we are, I'll figure it out, what that is doing that. And I'll be driving Red to work for a few months while Bubba lays apart in the driveway for a few months. When the neighborhood president comes calling and complaining about a junk vehicle in the driveway, I'll appeal, "So YOU fix it faster than I can." WHEN I find out what it is.

Comment

I've done it, I'm sure other's have done it but I wouldn't advise it. Why risk a chance of dinging the end? Nobody cut rotors anymore, good luck finding someone who does...at least reasonably. Be safe and do it right IMO. We need you here!
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
        I've done it, I'm sure other's have done it but I wouldn't advise it. Why risk a chance of dinging the end?
        So, I should block it somehow under the front end and not put the weight on the rotors? That makes sense.

I haven't really studied or measured it, but I don't think my shortest jackstands are short enough, but maybe they are. That thing has to get a WHOLE lot lower if we are to work on it.

Comment

the weakest link is the one spinning the fastest.

alternators are painfuly obvious, as a volt guage will wiggle if a front or back bearing is bad there.

an oddity not to overcome, a direct driven fan at the water pump.
          those need to realign through the years. they can squeak random etc.

I attack all my tension pulleys, subaru timing belts have them too.. I treated my truck the same.
          high temp grease and work it in past the outer seals.

last forever.

Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I use an aluminum bench that dry wallers use..
            I'm too fat to lay on my belly wrenching so I stack moving blankys on the stuff I need to lay/lean on..
            As for rotors.. Cast iron.. Snap, you be up schmitz creek .. I've seen it done on drums and rotors.. I wouldn't tho.. As rotors are made to stop spinning not carry weight..
            We knock the rotors off the hubs of our derby cars with sledge hammers.. EASY TO DO, not even a big swing neither..

Comment

Noise? Rev it up, might come back..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                Noise? Rev it up, might come back..
                Nope, it's at idle. At a cold start. It's getting more persistent. But it doesn't do it every time. And these days it doesn't go away, but it sure did today when I was trying to diagnose it. I KNOW something's wrong.

Like folks who drive a car like it's an appliance and never pay it any attention at all. It probably won't fail tomorrow but a sound tells you something is wrong, or going wrong. From my experience, a failure is seldom a POW and then you're stranded. There's almost always a noise to go with it beforehand, a warning. With mechanical parts at least. Electronics, bets are off. They don't make any noise before they shut you down.

Comment

Turn up the sound system (whatever that may be) - problem solved. See how helpful I am!!??

Dan

Comment

4" aluminum bench from Lowe's. I've got two of 'em. $45.00.

Shop Werner Aluminum 1.7-ft H x 4-ft L 300-lb at Lowe's.com. The AP-30 pro deck portable work platform has an extra large standing area with a rigid surface for working form side to side. The pro deck is ideal for
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                      4" aluminum bench from Lowe's. I've got two of 'em. $45.00.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Werner-4-ft...orm/1000146459
                      I need to get lower than that Ed.

Comment

https://www.amazon.com/Traxion-3-100.../dp/B00QGXSODA Click image for larger version

Name:	91VMQ-kAN9L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	304.7 KB
ID:	1155436
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I need to get lower than that Ed.
                          OK.....swipe or buy one of these:
                          Home Depot, $9.
                          BTW, the work platform is 4' long, and about 24" high.
                          Last edited by oletrux4evr; April 26, 2017, 05:53 AM.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            I don't know Patrick enough beer he probably fall asleep! LOL
                            I know I would
                            Go to favorite lumber yard and buy 6ft 6×6 and cut you some 2ft blocks and lay long ways under arm under ball joint or close as you can.
                            Last edited by corvettedad; April 25, 2017, 08:45 PM.
                            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

If it's intermittent, why not wait until it is more mittent and louder? It can get a LOT louder without trashing much and still getting you home from less than a cross country trip. And trashed is trashed. You aren't about to change a bearing in ANYTHING under the hood over getting a rebuilt or new part. Sometimes you need to break stuff bad enough to really need fixin'.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X