No announcement yet.

Car Stereos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my day, it was the stereo display cabinet at either Kmart or Target ... I'd spend lots of time pushing the selection buttons, checking out different receiver and speaker variations. I always liked the Jensen 6x9 Co-Axial's over the Tri-Axial's.

Comment

they didn't like me because I knew how to use their audio display and they didn't....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I just finished installing a new Stereo in my build, and agonized over what/how to do it-in the end, I installed a new Infinity 1000 watt Amp with Infinity 6 X 9's in the back, two 5 1/2"er's in the Doors, and 2 Infinity underseat Subs (called Basslinks)-I purchased so many Subs that wouldn't fit (12",10") because there simply no room left in my Car-

Comment

I should probably add some 5 1/2 speakers and a sub - but like you're saying, I need to be sure there is room for those additions.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            In my day, it was the stereo display cabinet at either Kmart or Target ... I'd spend lots of time pushing the selection buttons, checking out different receiver and speaker variations. I always liked the Jensen 6x9 Co-Axial's over the Tri-Axial's.
            Still have one of these display cabinets in our local Walmart... and I agree on the Co-axials... I always thought the tri's sounded too tinny...
            '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
            '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
            79 Trans Am project
            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

I'd take recommendations for a 'hidden' system. I want to keep the factory radio in the dash for appearance sake, but definitely need to upgrade the 31 year old system...
              '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
              '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
              79 Trans Am project
              ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
                I'd take recommendations for a 'hidden' system. I want to keep the factory radio in the dash for appearance sake, but definitely need to upgrade the 31 year old system...
                There are companys that make vintage "looking" units with modern internals. Should be able to google your year / model to see if there is something acceptable.

Comment

vintage is cool, but not the direction I'm heading with this build.

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
                    I'd take recommendations for a 'hidden' system.

That is what I wanted for my Car, and after looking at the options (Secret Audio and such), I've come to the conclusion that those things are junk-that's why I went with what I did (see my Post about 2 up)-I don't have a "Head" per se (I'm running it off of my Ipod (or Cell Phone)-it's Bluetooth (so it's hidden)-

The other option I found is to look at Marine Stereos-they make separate Head/unit combos that can be hidden-

Comment

I installed the Alpine blue tooth single din radio's in both the 56 Bel Air & the 64 SS Impala! All hands free controls work by talking. When I crank the cars up it automaticlly starts playing my music saved on my phone.
                      You can see them installed in my post about the vehicles both. You can have your stock radio upgraded to bluetooth also. If you send it to the right people.
                      I also had new trim bought to hide the old radio knob cutouts and very pleased with it.
                      Last edited by Andy4639; April 20, 2017, 05:29 PM.
                      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

There are companys that make vintage "looking" units with modern internals. Should be able to google your year / model to see if there is something acceptable.
                        For us in the G-body world have one option, the Retrosound Newport. https://www.retromanufacturing.com/p...rect-fit-radio

I want one bad, but that price!
                        GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

I don't like much that is new. I prefer Alpine head units. I have used one in everyone of my competition systems, even my 2002 World champion. However I do have a Kenwood in the wagon right now. Sounds good and has sirius radio. Working on a fully blown system in my 85 Crown Vic.

Tim
                          '71 Buick Sportwagon running project
                          '85 Ford Crown Victoria 2 dr. 2nd project
                          2015 Harley Street Glide 103ci

Comment

and you have a Buick - who better to give advice? post up what you've done and doing - I think a lot more would be interested then just me.

Comment

What would you like to know? Been installing my own for over 30 years, even professionally. While I only install my own now, as I don't trust any shops even certified ones. I think they're only about 1/2 dozen installer in the country I would trust with my stuff.

Tim
                              '71 Buick Sportwagon running project
                              '85 Ford Crown Victoria 2 dr. 2nd project
                              2015 Harley Street Glide 103ci

Comment

The Impala has a Pioneer KP-500.When i first got the car, it sounded horrible. After some new speakers, a cleaning of the tape player and the control knobs it player great.

Got a cheap tape adapter for the mp3 player, was looking around for parts and see they still got belts available for it.
                                Last edited by Runner1972; May 15, 2017, 12:40 PM.
                                "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Working...
                                X