What's Going On In My World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Going On In My World

I finally have a partial schedule so I'm now prepared to spill the beans on what I'll be up to for the next couple of months. I've already shared this with a few folks on here who I know in the physical world but there may be more of you who give a rip and if so here's what's going on.........

A couple of months back I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. It's the most treatable of cancers but there are side effects to most treatment methods and I quickly decided that I was NOT going to live out my life in diapers. About 20 minutes on the Interwebs and I had the answer - proton beam therapy. It's sort of like conventional radiation therapy except instead of X-rays (pHotons) it uses pRotons. Here's where it gets both tricky and high-tech - to make protons (split off from hydrogen atoms) you need you very own cyclotron (atom smasher). Protons can be aimed with HUGELY greater precision than X-rays and can even be set to discharge their energy at a certain depth so there is little damage on the way in and virtually NO exit dosage. Not surprisingly, not a lot of treatment facilities have a cyclotron so there are only about 15 or so facilities in the US. Given their physical location I had a choice of 2, 1 in Hampton, VA and 1 in Jacksonville, FL. Given that I have Grandkids (young adults, really) in Jax and the fact that Florida Proton has more experience I chose University of Florida Health Proton Therapy Institute or Florida Proton for short.

There are 3 parts to the therapy:
    1) Consultation, where they get all your info (they already have a lot of it that I provided over the Internet), take preliminary readings, and we generally get to know each other. I go in for this on April 12th.

2) Simulation, where they make my pod (needed to hold me steady during the treatment phase), place targets in my prostate, and install other stuff to get me ready for treatment (I'm in La-La land (more than usual) for this part). They also run me thru a simulated treatment so I know what I'm in for. We'll work out a schedule when I'm in for the consultation but it's usually 10 days or so after the consult.

3) Treatment, where I get zapped for 6-8 weeks - we'll work out how long in Part 2. The actual treatment is 20-30 minutes/day to properly position me followed by 1-3 minutes of actual beaming. This goes on 5 days/week. Men who have had this say there are NO side effects and you can get up and boogie for the rest of the day. Many of the guys are golfers and want the early appointment times so they can waste the day ruining an otherwise good walk but I'll shoot for later appointments being a late sleeper.

There are a couple of good books on this treatment and my fave is REALLY funny! It's "Protons versus Prostate Cancer - EXPOSED" by Ron Nelson. The author says that it's hard to get much cancer sympathy when you return home tanned (hey, it's in FL after all) and with as much hair as you left home with. And no diapers. He claims that protons also cure dignity.

Hoping to see Steve (Monster) and of course my Grands and the Great-Grands (they're just little guys), maybe get down to the track in Gainesville, take in the Jax museums as well as the Garlits museum (been years), eat some 'gator, and generally do Florida stuff when not in the beam. ME will come down from time to time as her schedule allows and I'll try to get home a few weekends if I can schedule appointments to allow it (early Friday and late Monday would make it easy). It's about a day's drive - 7 hours if you don't stop to pee (I do). I'll be staying at Third and Main - apartments that are set up for proton folks so they know the drill better than we do given that they've been thru it many times.

A side note on proton therapy: They do more than prostate cancer. It can be aimed so precisely that they have even taken a tumor off a kid's optic nerve and left the eye functional. I don't know the details but evidently they now can treat some breast cancers with it, too. So if you or someone you care about is diagnosed with a tumor-type of cancer (it's useless for, say, leukemia) it sure is worth looking into.

So don't get all feeling sorry for me - this is about going thru a process and now that it's finally starting it's a big relief.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; April 7, 2017, 02:12 PM.

You'll do great Dan, and you're obviously done all of the research.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
      You'll do great Dan, and you're obviously done all of the research.
      Maybe I just need new rear brake hoses?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Maybe I just need new rear brake hoses?

Dan
        Yep, that's what it is, it's on the rear and it's a hose...

I love your attitude and approach Dan. Going into something like that, attitude is everything, even greatly affecting recovery, and you've got the right one going.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

awesome,modern chances.

I am finally facing my demise.. I laugh to say "I should be dead by now."
          I study the leukemias as a result of my blood test that I am allowed to see..

I feel good after an x-ray on my masochist military foot...
          still broken after 25 years.
          I am guessing that would be a good attack if any flag is raised.
          no gentle version of fixing.

that radiation stuff is serious business.

A peaceful version.. now that is evolution. Hope it goes well.

I would wager I wander off again. I am alive for being an animal, and dying for being an animal.
          I'll go find a pine bough to lie under.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Don't forget to check for any unused airports while you are in Florida, and en route to and from. Wear your GTA shirt when travelling!

Comment

Originally posted by sueunit View Post
              Don't forget to check for any unused airports while you are in Florida, and en route to and from. Wear your GTA shirt when travelling!
              Prolly will! At least I'm planning to pack them (I have 2). Maybe a clean one for the way down and and another for the way home. It pays to advertise!

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; April 7, 2017, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Hey Dan - Welcome to the club! I was diagnosed in late 2015 and decided on brachytherapy (seeding). I had been on a good time line prognosis for two years when a shift in agressivness was noted in my yearly biopsy.Stomp the bastards right now! I underwent seed implantation February 16, 2016 and was in the hospital for a total of 7 hours before I went home. My radiation oncologist developed a great implant strategy and my surgeon aimed well. They injected 81 seeds of I125. After a couple of days of sitting on frozen peas in a baggie strategically shaped and placed. I was ready to attack other things. My PSA at 1 year is 1.20, so all (me, urologist, and oncologist) are happy.

I wish you the best of treatment and the best of results. If I can do it, you can too! I want to see my favorite impound inspector at Bonneville again.

All the best, and keep us posted, vic
                Last edited by krusty; April 7, 2017, 03:24 PM.
                vic NASCARland

Comment

Thanks Vic. Brachytherapy would have been my choice if proton didn't exist. Glad it's working for you.

I plan to be back in Impound this year and REALLY looking forward to it. Dan has retired and Mike is the new Dan - seems like a good guy from the Emails we've had back and forth. I'm waiting for ME to figure out her schedule so I can decide where I'm flying in from (might be Wilmington, might be Minneapolis, might be Denver.....) so I can get my ticket and get on with it. Really looking forward to being on the salt again!

Dan

Comment

You've really done your due diligence Dan, nice work. I have several friends who have been there, done that with various prostate treatments.....if you have to get cancer, it's the one to have. Keep us informed if you don't mind - knowledge is power after all.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Was this therapy invented by Professor Proton (Sheldon and Leonard's childhood hero?).
                      vic NASCARland

Comment

Originally posted by krusty View Post
                        Was this therapy invented by Professor Proton (Sheldon and Leonard's childhood hero?).
                        No, but it SHOULD have been!

Dan

Comment

Take Care Dan! We are all rooting for you!
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

My uncle had it done and one of my co-workers dad has had it done and a friend when he was in his late 30's all with excellent results. Best of wishes to you!!
                            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Glad to see you are taking it so well, if you wanted a Florida vacation I sure ME would have let you go with out going and getting cancer
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X