Deaf Bob Was Right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaf Bob Was Right

I don't really want to start a new thread about Red, but now I'm getting confused on which branch, which thread Deaf Bob said it on. He said go drive Red and get the feel of him. And I said you can't rehearse road racing on the street.

DB was right. We went for the joyride on perfect roads today, it's a whole new ball game with the blower on there. That's..... We did that today and this evening I'm watching old in-car videos from AMP, where we're going next weekend. Trying to compare......now Red has major horsepower.......watching the video.....GAS GAS GAS.

Hell, I have NO idea what to do with that much horsepower on that track without wrecking us. Daytona or Road Atlanta, bring it on. Red's ready. But AMP? It's all about the driver and the driver has a lot to learn. All over again. That's for sure. Hmmmmm....it'll be fun, it always is, and nobody's making me mash the gas down all the way unless I'm confident about it. And on that AMP track I can't say I completely am.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Just need to "get used" to ole Red again..
    Up shift, downshift... So on.
    Your first few laps will be relearning the handling.. Power does give a different track..
    Like on bikes, you don't really want to upshift (or down) while in a corner..
    The car feels balanced..
    Reason why most derby cars run 2 barrels is so they do not lose their aim on a target when 4 barrels kick in..

Comment

I've never had that much stuff behind the gas pedal before. I'm already getting into the mantra.....Don't be stupid, Don't be stupid, Don't be stupid....DO NOT BE STUPID..... It only takes a half of a second on a race track to be stupid. DON'T be stupid peewee. LESS than half of a second to wad the car up with us in it. The balance between fast and stupid.

I'm not afraid, just wary. And aware. I don't think I'll ever drive Red as fast as he can go. But fast is fun, just sayin.

Comment

Perfect place to reiterate my mantra for some new safety equipment .. at least a good helmet and a HANS device.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
          Perfect place to reiterate my mantra for some new safety equipment .. at least a good helmet and a HANS device.
          When we were joyriding yesterday, on the 4-lane we passed a pickup truck with two kids riding in the bed smiling and enjoying the wind. Welcome to Tennessee. I guess that's legal here, I don't really know, but only imagine what would become of them in a wreck?

And we have helmets. The HANS is another thing. You're right Steve, totally right. At the level we're going to, you're right. So right.

Comment

You've had fun at Ohio, but it just got real .. I believe these guidelines are well thought out;

Comment

It's amazing to me still, the different road racing sanctioning bodies, how different they are. Actually we aren't even "racing." It's called "Track Day." If a faster car comes up from behind, you let it by.

But, you're all going flat out, as fast as you can go. Rookies on a dream trip. Corvettes. Exotic cars. Fast cars, DAMN fast cars. The majority of them all stock, 3-point harness, whatever came from the factory. And that's huge fun, just saying to agree with you Steve, they are missing most of the safety stuff. And I for one am taking advantage of that. But as far as I know, nobody's gotten hurt yet doing that. YET. Not yet anyhow, but it's a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                I've never had that much stuff behind the gas pedal before. I'm already getting into the mantra.....Don't be stupid, Don't be stupid, Don't be stupid....DO NOT BE STUPID..... It only takes a half of a second on a race track to be stupid. DON'T be stupid peewee. LESS than half of a second to wad the car up with us in it. The balance between fast and stupid.

I'm not afraid, just wary. And aware. I don't think I'll ever drive Red as fast as he can go. But fast is fun, just sayin.
                the only thing I would add is half of a second is an eternity at speed... half of a millisecond would tend to be the way I think...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

A HUGE "X2" with Steve's comments. Red is probably now fast enough that being safe is likely no longer an option. I'll bet someone makes a bolt-in cage for those fellas and I'll happily help you bolt it in. Remember, that means you can bolt it out when you get back from the track so you don't have to live with it on the street (not that it would be a bad thing to have it). Bob Self's Ford GT had a bolt-in and he ran 200+ and got a hat. It'll also stiffen the car.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                    the only thing I would add is half of a second is an eternity at speed... half of a millisecond would tend to be the way I think...
                    As long as I have huge brakes (which I do) and a steering wheel, it's up to what the other folks on the track do. Those are the folks I can't rely on. That's the X-factor.

Comment

that's why you practice and prepare, so you don't panic when they mess up... you and Red will respond together in one fluid motion!
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I've never been so unsettled going to a race track, like laps are a sweet dream that I'll re-live over and over, but I've never had so much horsepower either. I ain't scared, but I'm truthfully intimidated. Yes, Red is scary fast. Sue was right.

So many kids have so many fast cars to blast between the stoplights with. And grin. Red's new deal is on the big end of the top end, he's pulling HARD in the BIG gear, stuff going by REAL fast. I just have to get used to that, and you can only do that on the race track. And not at AMP, that's more about brakes.

Comment

it is cool you are doing this on your own.
                          driver, crew chief, planning..
                          inspiring.

I still dive in flat broke, not even about racing for me anymore.
                          if an american 8 sounding good wasn't good enough, you got a sound coming, I'd pay attention to and enjoy it just for going by.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

as a musician, you know of the statement "how does one get to Carnegie hall?...answer: practice, practice, practice!" now you have to apply that philosophy to the new and improved Red.... as you take small steps, you'll learn his limitations as well as your own... kinda like moving from bass guitar to a twelve string guitar...
                            Last edited by silver_bullet; March 26, 2017, 08:21 AM.
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              as a musician, you know of the statement "how does one get to Carnegie hall?...answer: practice, practice, practice!" now you have to apply that philosophy to the new and improved Red.... as you take small steps, you'll learn hus limitations as well as your own... kinda like moving from bass guitar to a twelve string guitar...
                              Some stop at the fender 6 instead..

he can do whatever the hell wants.

I forgot something in my previous sentence.

he can do whatever the hell he wants.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 26, 2017, 08:18 AM.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X