Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a GOOD dog door to recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that search led to the phrase "gun dog door". 4 screen door hinges, some flat stock, and a piece of plexi or lean. Only complaints are loud closing, not sure that matters in my application.

Bangshift is great.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I paid a lot less, but you wanted examples - so you got an example. Use your googlefu to find it less expensive. It's a really simple design and could easily be copied. The hinge uses the typical door closing spring that surrounds the pivot (has 2 ears that catch to swing the door back). It does need to be 2 swinging doors, if it were single, it'd be too wide to easily swing back and would also catch the wind
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Just got back from the hardware store....self closing screen door hinges, check.

Thanks for the lead. Since I don't need this to be heat sealed for a climate controlled space, am going to build one. Our original one had the twin flap setup, that worked fine until a stray dog with a broken tie out cable came in, then went back out before the cable made it all the way in with him. It circled the outer flap and tore it off.

Hopefully no repeat of that. Maybe a metal outer flap would have survived that first incident? Who knows.

Comment

Put a button beside the door and teach your dogs to nose it to go out...

Comment

he jokes, but it's a real thing

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Bangshift is great.
              This is true. No more true truth has ever been stated, that's what I believe.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

That button is awesome. We have been working on training the younger dog to ring a bell hanging from the doorknob.....mixed results so far. However she does get in your face and make monkey-sounds (ooo-ooo-oooo) very consistently to go out, so being thankful for that we are not pushing the bell thing too hard.

Honestly, the dog door is just so the dogs can come and go from a garage that has nothing in it. They are houseflies during the cold winter, and keep their legs crossed during the day like proper ladies.

Comment

the way that works is a treat is put behind it. When the dog presses the bell, you open the door and reward him - it doesn't take long before he simply realizes that by pressing the button the door opens.

Comment

Geez, can't I even go away camping for the weekend with my Scouts, without ..... never mind !

Comment

Working...
                    X