Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a GOOD dog door to recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a GOOD dog door to recommend?

Need a new dog door. What I am finding available has poor reviews, cheap construction, vague framing sizing, etc.

Background info - our current dog door is installed in the detached garage wall, not the house or a door. Its purpose is to give the pooches the opportunity to get out of the weather if needed. Our dogs are primarily with us at all times when home, and when we leave are usually indoors. Sometimes they simply prefer to be outside, not often but occasionally. More so the older one, and she has a big cushion bed in the garage as well.

Anyways, the PetSafe X-large door I installed in 2004 is whooped. It was a dual flap model and the replacement (sucky design) flap is $100 all by itself. I was looking into the new style current model Petsafe door and the reviews are not great.

I am not adverse to paying for quality, but am afraid of simply overpaying for more junky stuff with a different brand name label.

My biggest mutt is 26" tall at the shoulder and 12" wide at the shoulder. Long legged too.

When we were sick of junky dishwashers HemiJoel here on Bangshift came to the rescue with the awesome Bosch recommendation, very pleased with it.

Maybe someone has a good dog door they want to brag up?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

what we have

You can get these from about a billion different companies - but they do last, but they are built in and to be honest, you could probably build it yourself with some plexiglass.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'll play the devil's advocate and suggest that none of the best dog doors stop midgets and the neighbor's inbred kids from coming into your house when you're not home....
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Maybe get off your duff and go to a brick and mortar store and look at them.. and then buy it from the brick and mortar store..
        Ya, cheap *&^%$#$%^

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Maybe get off your duff and go to a brick and mortar store and look at them.. and then buy it from the brick and mortar store..
          Ya, cheap *&^%$#$%^
          Mark, are you going to have to change your name again?
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Mark, are you going to have to change your name again?
            WHY... if you go to a REAL store/supplier and look /feel /touch the item.. you get a better idea of it's quality than reading a bunch of reviews many posted by paid people not honest to goodness buyers..
            I know that requires a person to get off their duff.. and they might have to pay a little more at a brick and mortar store.. that has overhead and all..
            but .. Sorry truth hurt.... I take it you don't care for straight shooters.. you'd rather a person that is full of b/s..
            Last edited by Mark; March 18, 2017, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Mark, I can only see your post because Pdub quoted it, you are ignored by many here. My "duff" has actually spent my moldy money (you know, that stuff you so often complain of not having any) and have brought home 3 different dog doors. They are all lacking, and were returned ( you know, I drove a running vehicle to an actual building and got my moldy money back).

Now, do you have anything useful to contribute? Or are you simply trolling, like usual?
              Last edited by STINEY; March 18, 2017, 05:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                I'll play the devil's advocate and suggest that none of the best dog doors stop midgets and the neighbor's inbred kids from coming into your house when you're not home....
                Pdub......I even went to great lengths to explain.....my dog door leads to my DETACHED garage. The midgets and rugrats can cuddle up with the dogs, for all I care, the only things we keep in our garage are two daily drivers, a deep freeze, trash cans, and some minor clutter.

One day I actually found that the neighbors PIG was in there. Poor thing got hungry from neglect, and went hunting for some chow. Next time I put the pig in the freezer....mmmm....pork chops....

I suggest reading up on the exploits of your fellow Bangshift ears, rather than simply posting your own? There are some really good stories shared here.

And as far as security goes......have you ever seen a newer house being built? Really, really looked hard at what the walls consist of? By newer I mean built since the '50s onward.

Give me a sharp box cutter and I could be in most of them in minutes, right through the wall itself. Never mind the old adage of how the best locks do nothing to protect windows from rocks.

Security is a myth, perpetuated to sell perceived safety.
                Last edited by STINEY; March 18, 2017, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  what we have

You can get these from about a billion different companies - but they do last, but they are built in and to be honest, you could probably build it yourself with some plexiglass.
                  Thanks Aaron. I need to reconfigure our internet browser, or maybe it's my ISP provider somehow, our searches rarely seem to yield anything beyond the junk the big box stores want to hawk that week.

What brand name are those? Do they pivot from the top or hinge like normal man doors? It's hard to tell from the picture alone.

Comment

they pivot on two pins. They have a spring wrapped around the hinges to self-close the door....
                    The PlexiDor Door Series dog door has shatter resistant saloon-styled doors and is designed for exterior doors of wood, fiberglass, steel or glass.

$180 - a lot, I know, but ours has lasted for 7 years so far. One thing to remember when installing it is not to seal it to the wall. You'll occasionally need to take it off to repair hinges from your dog hitting it at 30 mph and it was locked.... annoying, yet mildly funny too. They also come with a plate that screws over the top so if you're gone for long periods - you can secure your house better then just with that upper latch (that will bend when 100 lbs at 30 mph hits it).
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 18, 2017, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Next time you watch Marmaduke, the movie, the door they go through is that door - I'll have to search again, but someone makes a latch that is like RFID and only allows a pet with a collar that has the proper RFID to go through. Of course, it takes a second or two to activate - which, again, is not fast enough for the aforemention floppy-eared terrorist hitting the door.

As for thieves, sure it's possible to go through the door - I've done it, but while my only danger is getting licked and slobbered to death, Buick does not take kindly to unattended strangers - you'd be amazed how fast a 180 lb Mastiff is....
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 18, 2017, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        Mark, I can only see your post because Pdub quoted it, you are ignored by many here. My "duff" has actually spent my moldy money (you know, that stuff you so often complain of not having any) and have brought home 3 different dog doors. They are all lacking, and were returned ( you know, I drove a running vehicle to an actual building and got my moldy money back).

Now, do you have anything useful to contribute? Or are you simply trolling, like usual?
                        opinions are like ___________.. if you think stating that going to a store and looking the product is trolling.. you got bigger issues..
                        But I've found that those that feel the need to use an ignore feature.. don't want any opinon ,they just want to hear the same opinion they have.. and nothing more..
                        THey want to hear their own echo..
                        Last edited by Mark; March 18, 2017, 08:54 AM.

Comment

bye Mark, I'd say it was nice knowing you but quite frankly, seeing your annoying self gone will only make me smile.

Comment

Next time you watch Marmaduke, the movie, the door they go through is that door - I'll have to search again, but someone makes a latch that is like RFID and only allows a pet with a collar that has the proper RFID to go through. Of course, it takes a second or two to activate - which, again, is not fast enough for the aforemention floppy-eared terrorist hitting the door.

As for thieves, sure it's possible to go through the door - I've done it, but while my only danger is getting licked and slobbered to death, Buick does not take kindly to unattended strangers - you'd be amazed how fast a 180 lb Mastiff is....
                            $180 isn't bad at all. The one I have now was $140, and it is a cheap piece o' junk. It was worn out within 2 years. Long story short, I left it go that long to accommodate an elderly Pomeranian during long term hospice care. He is gone now, so it's time to actually replace, hopefully with something better, lol.

I get you on the canine forced entry. On night I was out there, and had the security cover on ( was fighting a hungry possum issue at the time) and a loud thunderstorm let loose. Half way rough the storm I heard a strange scuffling noise from the wall. That is when I saw the dog head slowly ERUPT through the security panel. A neighbors BIG dog - mastiff sized for sure - was scared to the point of shaking violently in fear, he just wanted IN! Unfortunately he chose our garage for refuge. I gave him shelter for the night and found his home the next day. Big baby, lol.

Just for kicks Aaron, if you do a search for dog door does that model / brand come up? I've searched for hours and have never even found a picture of one like that.

Thanks for the link, off to shop I go.

Comment

The PlexiDor Door Series dog door has shatter resistant saloon-styled doors and is designed for exterior doors of wood, fiberglass, steel or glass.

$180 - a lot, I know, but ours has lasted for 7 years so far.
                              You should have stocked up back then.......apparently there has been a slight price increase. I assume you have the extra large one, $600+ now. Still, if it holds up it's a better buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X