No announcement yet.

Vega

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah yes, how can we forget those reliable Apex seals.... car is cool, but hardly a shining example of Japanese reliability.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
      Drug free , I remember the 70s . I liked the 80s. Miss my V8 Monza.
      I had a 80 Pontiac sunbird hatch.. I'd love to have it today, stuff it with all alum ls, and a stick.. and have a fun/small/ light v8 car.. that most would pass by as they think 4 banger iron duke.. UNTILL YOU STARTED IT>>

D.F. needs to pass on that 5 spd stick Monza
      Last edited by Mark; March 16, 2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

A friend of mine had a Pontiac Sunbird ... he referred to it as the "Sunburn" !

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunbird_Formula.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	1150098

Comment

I'm still amazed how much attention this thing gets when I drive it, 4 people have asked me if it's for sale. 1985 and it's got 87,000 miles and the only thing it needs is the A/C converted to 134. Like SBG said most Imports were daily appliances, they got used up and thrown away. I may be crazy but I think these cars (imports) are starting to appeal to people because maybe it was their first new car and those days are fond memories, kind of like muscle cars from the 60's/70's did 10 years ago. I'm not saying these things will be going for big bucks, but I think these's a nostalgia about them that is growing and people appreciate simple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sr5 004.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	1150100
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
              I'm still amazed how much attention this thing gets when I drive it, 4 people have asked me if it's for sale. 1985 and it's got 87,000 miles and the only thing it needs is the A/C converted to 134. Like SBG said most Imports were daily appliances, they got used up and thrown away. I may be crazy but I think these cars (imports) are starting to appeal to people because maybe it was their first new car and those days are fond memories, kind of like muscle cars from the 60's/70's did 10 years ago. I'm not saying these things will be going for big bucks, but I think these's a nostalgia about them that is growing and people appreciate simple.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1150100[/ATTACH]
              Many were old folks vehicles and not used up.. Many low mile 70-80's imports around.. that are grandma fresh..
              They all didn't want a 20 foot tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

and now you drive a convertible Corvette... coincidence? I think not!

Comment

Had a 79 Sunbird that a buddy of mine had replaced the crumpled front end ( courtesy of his sister ) with a 76 Monza front clip. I bought it because his sister in-law wouldn't drive it. LOL! We called it the Monzabird!
                  Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                  If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    Then finally, I stated my opinion with a basis that can be tested... so prove me wrong. Go through the first 2500 posts on Craigslist and count the number of cars built before 1980 that exist... I say there will be a 10:1 (Domestic/Import) ratio - and my count said it was far worse for the imports, more like 4 in 100 (import/domestic).
                    Rounding down the scale to 100 cars on Craigslist, and only using one ad per car (since I tend to find people spamming their piece of shit like it'll matter), here's my breakdown for two tests I ran:

TEST 1: 1980 and older, with image, Phoenix Craigslist. American: 84. Imported: 16. Import models: Beetles, FJ40, Unimog, two Bricklins, a Mercedes-Benz 240D, a Datsun 240Z, a Mini, an MGB, a Triumph TR6, and a BMW 320i.

TEST 2: 1990 and older, with image, Phoenix Craigslist. American: 77. Imported: 23. Import models: Honda CRX, Toyota 4Runner, Beetle, FJ40, 300D, Unimog, Bricklin, MB 240D, 1988 Accord, Porsche 928, Miata, BMW E30, MB 300D
                    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Bricklin is an import? that's 14 imports... for producing a bunch of "crap," America sure is holding its own... especially since by the end of the 80s the imports were fully 40% of the market.... too bad they aren't 40% of the used market, using your numbers an import is 1/2 as reliable as an American car.

Comment

Now, remind me once more...why was this being targeted in the first place? Was it the one car itself, or the impression that I, someone who has championed pretty much every unloved tank made between 1970 and present, was claiming that everything made during that period was worthless?
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

You have no one to blame but yourself - your comment about a Vega being a POS lead to my thinking about 2 Vegas that had divorce written all over them, then a look for something more likely to end in a lecture (rather then a divorce decree) and an inability to find such a thing. I think did a search for crap boxes from the 70s and found nothing but American cars. That lead to my questioning the term crapbox and our discussion.... clear?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Many were old folks vehicles and not used up.. Many low mile 70-80's imports around.. that are grandma fresh..
                            They all didn't want a 20 foot tank.
                            Exactly right about this one. I bought it from an elderly lady in Leisure World who bought it new in Dec '84 in San Diego.
                            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Working...
                            X