Johnny Cash Couldn't Sing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny Cash Couldn't Sing

I'll blame Perry, he started this Blue Bayou thing with one sentence on another thread. And the song is stuck in Unit's head and mine, it won't go away. Now I'm doing all kinds of searches listening to Linda Ronstadt songs and there she is with Johnny Cash.

I was about 10 or 11 years old, Daddy would sit on the front porch on his day off, reading the newspaper and drinking Budweiser, blaring the newfangled transistor radio on WSOC out of Charlotte, playing it for everybody in the neighborhood, whoever wanted to listen or not, country music. Johnny Cash was big.

I was impressionable of course, being so young. But even then, there was one thing that struck me. Johnny Cash, one song after another. Ours was a Southern family, raised with manners and kids don't speak unless spoken to, and one day out on that front porch I got brave. Johnny Cash was blaring on the transistor radio. I said, "Daddy?"

He said, "What?" WIN, I had his attention. I said, "Daddy, that man can't sing, not a lick." I sort of stood back but Daddy just grinned and turned another page on his newspaper. He said, "He's singing all the way to the bank."

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I had an italian grandpa who said that about sinatra..
    I spoke up and said, "he can't sing very good."
    took it all the way to the bank.

when you here a slow down voice from a midget, it is an introvert trying to be big.
    Drove me nuts. I wondered when the closet door opened and what leapt out.

my mom would have scared janis joplin off.
    I grew up with a loud singer.

I figured I was just normal, until push came to shove in the military. I started yelling cadence after my foot got hit by someone else.
    The job stuck, drill instructor assigned it to me.

Not much gets away today. A lot of networking. Real voices climb on up.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Had an uncle who referred to Mr. Cash as "Johnny One-Note".....
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
        Had an uncle who referred to Mr. Cash as "Johnny One-Note".....
        I know for sure I can't sing, I shouldn't even try. But it sure is fun to do. I guess he did the same way and somehow got paid a whole lot for it. I wonder, did he ever even THINK he could sing?

Comment

Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I guess he did the same way and somehow got paid a whole lot for it.
            You can call it style, or attitude..... or it could be because his mother in law was the First Lady of Country Music (Mother Maybell Carter).

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

He may not have been able to hit the notes, but Johnny could put enough emotion into his voice to get through to people. He was just so raw and honest. One of my favorite songs of his was the cover of "Hurt" he did right before he died. Listening to it still can give me chills.

Last edited by tedly; March 12, 2017, 10:22 PM.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Johnny Cash, like Janice Joplin, was not about his/her ability to sing. It was about raw emotion - they both bled into their songs. Sinatra was an interesting case. As a young man he had an amazing voice until his management pushed him to sing way too many gigs and he blew his voice out - around 1949 or so. Sadly he kept singing long after the voice had failed him, maybe because it was the only way for him to earn a living. Sad, really. If you look up some of his old stuff on YouTube you'll be surprised (I know I was).

Dan

Comment

opinions are like....
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I think our choice of what is good and what is not so good as far as music and the folks that sing the music is based on a lot of things. I love the blues and most folks would say that some of the old blues signers really can't sing, but there is so much more important than just hitting the right notes at the right time......

Comment

He's no Oscar winner either -- recently saw a remake of Stagecoach with Johnny, Willie, Waylon, Jessi, and Kris - my wife and I were chuckling at times.

Don't get me wrong I love most of his stuff - especially this era. https://www.bing.com/search?q=i+was+...ec40124398f621
                      Last edited by 70chevyC-10; March 16, 2017, 09:46 AM.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

He also wasn't elected President of the United States nor was he called McSquatch.... winning an Oscar? in this day and age - him not being an actor is proof positive that he had morals and good taste.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                          I think our choice of what is good and what is not so good as far as music and the folks that sing the music is based on a lot of things. .
                          It's all in the hands of the beer holder, and there are no rules.

Comment

Neither can Barry Manilow or a lot of others. Like Shatner. I like Dwight Yoakam because Mom listened to him in the 80s and it annoyed my brothers.

Comment

Can Willie sing?
                              I don't know, that's why I'm asking...

Comment

Working...
                              X