No announcement yet.

Snap-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can afford to destroy the environment - I'm surprised that 10 year old "tax" on old cars hasn't happened in Kalifornia.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We (meaning, personally, here) minimize strain on the environment by using minimal fuel (I do not commute at all), minimal heating/AC, and not throwing away usable manufactured items in favor of unnecessary new ones with their attendant costs to the earth to make. As far as taxing older cars, all the people in San Francisco etc. who want people who entered the country in defiance of federal law and live somewhere else besides where they do to have a break are going to have to explain why they want the same folks to be burdened with an extra fee on what they use to get to work with...seems awkward.

Whoops, that sounds pretty political, huh...not meant to be, I think...

I do believe anyhow (unlike others in my state) that fixing up old things with our Snap-On or whatever tools serves a higher purpose than sending it to scrap before it needs to go and just having a new one made in someone else's state or country.
      Last edited by Loren; February 21, 2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Fit, comfort and durability is nice with the better tools.. I have and like them.. Even my daughter has a set of Snap On tools.

Cousin's daughter's hubby has a truck and route 30 miles from us. They seem comfy.. She works too, how much that plays into it, I have no idea.
        My oldest tools are from the early 60's. Only few left of those bought when I was 15-16 as somebody stole my box at school..

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
          We (meaning, personally, here) minimize strain on the environment by using minimal fuel (I do not commute at all), minimal heating/AC, and not throwing away usable manufactured items in favor of unnecessary new ones with their attendant costs to the earth to make. As far as taxing older cars, all the people in San Francisco etc. who want people who entered the country in defiance of federal law and live somewhere else besides where they do to have a break are going to have to explain why they want the same folks to be burdened with an extra fee on what they use to get to work with...seems awkward.

Whoops, that sounds pretty political, huh...not meant to be, I think...

I do believe anyhow (unlike others in my state) that fixing up old things with our Snap-On or whatever tools serves a higher purpose than sending it to scrap before it needs to go and just having a new one made in someone else's state or country.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Add on to Bob's note - I have a couple of Industro Selects from the first took kit Mom and Dad bought me for Christmas, must have been the year I was 14, just before my 15th. birthday (1961 I'd guess). Most have been scattered to the winds but I do have a few left and they've actually held up well. IIRC they were bought thru J.C. Whitney - early Chineseium or maybe Indianesium or some such. Anyhow, the few remaining are still usable so I guess this shows that they don't make 'em like they used to, even offshore.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; February 23, 2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              [IMG]
              You won't be teasing me when I'm President.

Toolbox from mechanic days, 1980. Still sits in a corner. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06943.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	1146790

edit: Oh, Oh! Wait! Here's another one...

Special Edition purple cabinet with it's original hot rod-theme sticker peeled away (it came right off) and a proper R/T stripe applied:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06944.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1146795

That's like, half my Snap-On stuff right there except for, you-know, some small stuff. The red box with the sticker I actually bought used...and is a Craftsman.
              Last edited by Loren; February 21, 2017, 04:40 PM.

Comment

My Dad raised me on Craftsman (when they were Made in the USA and meant something) and they have served me well. Great quality for a descent price and lifetime warranty. Now I peruse feeBay for old pieces.

Comment

I can't tell you how many of those dwell tachs and inductive timing lights we had at EPA - that was a walk down memory lane right there. We checked each car coming in for timing and idle speed to verify that it was within advertised specs and that's what we used. They sent a guy out from Snap-On's Southfield office periodically to check and calibrate them because they had to be RIGHT. I don't recall them ever being off by much but we had to be able to prove it. Seems like sooner or later our instrument lab got trained then they did it.

Dan

Comment

After looking at it hard I'm starting to think that my first idea of starting a machine shop is a better idea

Comment

OK ... then let us assist you with some due diligence on that concept. How many machine shops already exist in your area? Are they continuously swamped with backlog? Are you going to specialize in some specific aspect, or just general work? The equipment and machinery will be a huge outlay. Have you budgeted that out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                        My wife is gonna wonder, if we're rich how 'come she's driving a '91 Cherokee? And I personally own very few Snap-On tools...
                        Actually, that is one way that you can become rich.
                        ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by bryankiwi View Post
                          After looking at it hard I'm starting to think that my first idea of starting a machine shop is a better idea
                          You can sell only so many "starter kits". There has to be demand/need for other tools on a regular basis.. Probably a good idea

What is the machine shop clientile? Machining auto motors or going to trucks (semi and dump trucks) or? Heavy industrial

Find your market and cater to it

Comment

I don't know down there at the bottom of the world but up here good machine work is hard to come by and expensive if you do find it. Are you thinking of automotive machining or general machine work? Both are in high demand here.

My observations as a user of such services:

1) I'm a bit spoiled as we had an EXCELLENT machinist at the shop at EPA and he had equipment at home where he'd do stuff I needed done. I was able to describe to him what I needed and he'd make it happen, usually better than my concept. Wish I could find a guy like that down here. Sadly, Lennie's dead now.

2) A lot of guys, whether general or automotive machinists, think they're God's gift to the world and act like their - um - stuff - don't stink if you catch my drift. This does not make me want to use their services more than once. If you're going this way remember to be humble and helpful. Add in some time (read $$) for engineering if necessary but keep a friendly attitude toward the public. That little job today may well lead to a BIG job tomorrow as each customer has some influence over others.

3) Buy equipment carefully and wisely. I have a friend in Wisconsin who has an AMAZING automotive machine shop but he's never invested in crank grinding equipment - says it just doesn't work out as a business decision. So you need to make those kind of choices based on the business and not on what you might LIKE to have sitting there. The big word in that sentence is "sitting". Same in general machining - who can afford the floor space for a scraper even though you can pick them up pretty cheaply here in the US?

Whatever you choose, best of luck to you!

Dan

Comment

Once again thank you all for your thoughts and advice, the average price per hour for a machine shop down here is $120, so I'm thinking going in lowball at $85, yes machine shops in this part and every part of the city are over flowing with work, so I can get over flow from them, plus I can go and door knock for work with the earth moving companies doing pins and bushes, the guys at my work are very understanding and have offered to let me work for 3 days to 4 days while the business is starting up, as for machinery I'm buying second hand and keeping the costs down that way ( I have an eye for a deal and I know what I'm looking at). As it is set up in my shed no rent to pay and only one income so no workers.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. The bonus is there is only one person to answer to!
                                Tim
                                Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Working...
                                X