Snap-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Loren View Post
    For guys to buy tools from you at Snap-On prices (and margins), I would think you have to be very customer-oriented, loving visiting mechanics and showing them the display over and over again each day, being understanding and engaging and doing everything to make your product irresistible, and very numbers-oriented making every hour of the day show money coming in absolutely and profit being made. Sign them up for those payment plans (that can be enforced), "help" their co-workers just a little to convince new guys to show commitment and professionalism by using and displaying your product in their work areas...wear that uniform, talk the talk and walk the walk, keep your ears open to your customers and if you're ever "full of it" and faking knowledge, they'll catch on and it won't be good. You are all about service, it's a big part of what they are buying.

And so on. I think a ride-along for a week, not a day, would be the thing to do if at all possible, it would be worth travelling to do.

Not something I could ever manage. The fifth person I have to talk at in any given day is not going to see my good side! It's just not what I do. Nor is managing accounts well.

As for the tools, since that guy from Harbor Freight (is he in NZ yet?) buys whatever Snap-On is selling then ships it in the box over to China to be copied and that comes back in a container for a fraction of the price, they can be a tough sell. Snap-On may be in history where magazines were in '02 or so...still going strong but trouble looming.
    Thanks for that well thought out answer, no Harbour Fright is not in New Zealand yet, it is a lot to take in

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
      I had a mate here in Australia look at a franchise, didn't go for it as it didn't add up for him.

Have you gone out with a franchise owner for a day yet, that's what he did...
      No not yet, I have ride-alongs to do

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        AS seen as most are going with one theme..
        Here is the one that matters..
        When was the last time you saw a poor snap on vendor? Everyone I've ever met and delt with have done quite nicely supporting their family and hobbies of choice..[/u]
        Well said, and I understand that I will have to put the hours in (a lot more than I do now) and I will be working for a complete asshole (me) who demands only the best will do as he is working for his family

Comment

Thanks guys, all very good answers and a lot for me to think about, I really do appreciate taking the time to put your thoughts down to help me out,
          I'm looking at a West Auckland area, there are no other tool guys out here in vans, I know they are pricey, but it is not a new area for Snap-On (the last guy got sick of the city and moved out to a smaller town and started a Snap-On run).
          Lots to think of

Comment

I should have added -
            Best of luck Bryan and I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you. Either way, you know we'll be here for you and we will want to hear about your adventures.

Dan

Comment

IMO, (1) find customers that cannot afford for a tool to break, in other words whatever they are working on cannot be interrupted by a trip to the local store to replace the broken tool and (2) if (1) happens, you will be willing to immediately drive over to their shop with a replacement
              Last edited by >>>>head; February 20, 2017, 06:44 AM.
              nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

AS seen as most are going with one theme..Here is the one that matters..
                Hey, see there James .. you do have a sense of humor !

Comment

Originally posted by bryankiwi View Post
                  Thanks for that well thought out answer, no Harbour Fright is not in New Zealand yet, it is a lot to take in
                  Best of luck to you on the decision to go for it. I wish you all of the success you may find. BTW......Harbor Freight is known locally here as "China Town" for obvious reasons. Whether a typo or you intended it though, "Harbour Fright" is pretty clever too.
                  ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

career oriented go for this stuff.
                    just the sign on the garage wall for mac or snap-on and a truck showing up while customers are there, was an advertising of professionals at work.
                    kind of place that has its own calendars to hand out.
                    I hope those never go away.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Hey, see there James .. you do have a sense of humor !
                      SAD you dopes pushed away a member, thinking it was me..

Comment

SAD you dopes pushed away a member, thinking it was me..
                        Frankly I think he wanted to be "pushed" away, with the way he was acting...whiney, confrontational...accusing...hard to be sad about that...

Comment

I wouldn't do it because I think the entire concept is going away - it is a cost/benefit analysis. Everyone charges something per hour, and there are always options. You could drive a fwd commuter car and get stuck in occasional snow storms or you could drive a 4x4 and pay the price penalty. Eventually, most do a cost/benefit analysis about whether or not it's worth it. In the US, I really don't see the benefit in big cities because you have lots of far-less-expensive options. That said, in rural areas, when you have to drive hours to replace a broken tool, worth it. From what you said, you could make a good living for some period of time because it's a rural route. How long? well that's where the pricing strategy of what you're buying comes in.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 21, 2017, 07:39 AM.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Not to confront but (ahem,) another take:

One person goes to CarMax for a transpo car, lays down cash and it's good. But then...our local Lexus dealer for example has a facility that nearly defies description for the purposes of enhancing the buyer experience to sell cars with quality and features beyond that ever needed, and that's for another kind of person. For the latter type, they got their value in the service, the quality whether it was required or not, and pride of ownership (or being able to be an entitled snob or whatever, lol). All this in the city, where anything is available.

Mechanics are human too, the Snap-On guy brings the glory along with the metal and for a tech who really wants to feel pro the value is there. The extra money wouldn't have been worth it in convenience alone.
                            Last edited by Loren; February 21, 2017, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Oh now there you did it. On my most trolling days, I call people's Lexus a Toyota.

I'm not saying that convenience isn't nice, but I am saying that the trend is towards personal service rather then routes. Of course, I'm not some rich guy (with 2 press brakes) in California....
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My wife is gonna wonder, if we're rich how 'come she's driving a '91 Cherokee? And I personally own very few Snap-On tools...

3rd press brake coming this week...but needs repair. When it rains, it pours...

Comment

Working...
                                X