Snap-on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snap-on

I'm looking at buying into a Snap-On franchise, I would appreciate your thoughts,

Well , over here in the USA they are considered the best overall . That's product advice. Business advice, I can't give you .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

seems the tool truck job is to sell guys too many tools, then keep after them to make the payments..????

Not anything I'd be interested in doing.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim pretty much summed up a Snap-On USA franchise.
        It consists of long hours, many gallons of diesel fuel, and every excuse in the book why they can't pay their tool bill this month...

Comment

I had a mate here in Australia look at a franchise, didn't go for it as it didn't add up for him.

Have you gone out with a franchise owner for a day yet, that's what he did...
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

When I was the Service Manager at a Harley-Davidson dealership in Sydney, the truck would come by every week and all my tech's would take their turn going in and seeing the new stuff on offer. I'd see some of them sign their name and walk out with a box in hand and a grin on their face. I'd go in every now and then and was amazed at the quality and even further amazed at the prices, but never bought anything though. Managing all the accounts and hassling clients for payments is the down-side of it for me. Handling warranty with the company is another PITA.

Comment

For guys to buy tools from you at Snap-On prices (and margins), I would think you have to be very customer-oriented, loving visiting mechanics and showing them the display over and over again each day, being understanding and engaging and doing everything to make your product irresistible, and very numbers-oriented making every hour of the day show money coming in absolutely and profit being made. Sign them up for those payment plans (that can be enforced), "help" their co-workers just a little to convince new guys to show commitment and professionalism by using and displaying your product in their work areas...wear that uniform, talk the talk and walk the walk, keep your ears open to your customers and if you're ever "full of it" and faking knowledge, they'll catch on and it won't be good. You are all about service, it's a big part of what they are buying.

And so on. I think a ride-along for a week, not a day, would be the thing to do if at all possible, it would be worth travelling to do.

Not something I could ever manage. The fifth person I have to talk at in any given day is not going to see my good side! It's just not what I do. Nor is managing accounts well.

As for the tools, since that guy from Harbor Freight (is he in NZ yet?) buys whatever Snap-On is selling then ships it in the box over to China to be copied and that comes back in a container for a fraction of the price, they can be a tough sell. Snap-On may be in history where magazines were in '02 or so...still going strong but trouble looming.
              Last edited by Loren; February 19, 2017, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I've never been able to afford Snap-on tools.

Comment

I LOVE my Snap-On stuff - absolutely the highest quality though, as pointed out, PRICEY! My sockets and combination end wrenches are pretty much all Snap-On while the screwdrivers are MAC because everyone else in the shop had Snap-On and it was easier to keep up with them. I was working with my hands at that point and the feel and durability was unparalleled. Are they worth it? Now THAT'S a tough call.

Snap-On as a business is another issue. How many people in your area are willing to pay the premium price for the top of the line? That I can't say. With so many other hand tools being made in China (say, Craftsman) with the subsequent decline in quality, will professionals spend the big bux? Depends on the active mechanics in your area as well as their alternatives (Mac, Cornwell, etc.). Yes, I've seen the Snap-On guy trying to get payments out of me and my co-workers (I tried never to be That Guy but sometimes.....) and I appreciate it's a real PITA for the seller. I was never willing to pay the price to be in business for myself so I would shy away from it but I know some folks love that life and seek it out. That's why we're not all married to the same woman (or man, depending).

Dan

Comment

ebay is the new SnapOn man!

( I love old, used, high quality tools)

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Being a novice with tools, but whether or not I'm a novice with tools, I understand top-end stuff and paying full price for it. I've got a few expensive guitars. I know the difference.

But my tools are chineseum, and they turn bolts every few years when I actually do it. What I HAVE seen, cheap-ass socket wrenches, the drives in them give up after about three turns on them. If I had to earn a living with hand tools, I'd have the best ones. That's a no-brainer for sure.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        ebay is the new SnapOn man! (I love old, used, high quality tools)

Comment

AS seen as most are going with one theme..
                          Here is the one that matters..
                          When was the last time you saw a poor snap on vendor? Everyone I've ever met and delt with have done quite nicely supporting their family and hobbies of choice..[/u]

Comment

Mark, I have to say I don't know how well our local Snap-On guys are doing. The guy who came to the Buick dealer (we're talking 1965-1970) did OK but I don't know if that's still the case. A friend of mine had a Mac guy living next door and again he did OK but was not rolling in dough.

I forgot to say in my earlier post - I've never regretted buying Snap-On and I still have all of them (except a couple that I lost) and they all still work. I have some going back to he mid-60's and the majority are from 1982-83. A few things were replaced for free and my 3/8 ratchet has been rebuilt 3 times IIRC (again, no charge). I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Dan

Comment

Nothing that I could add that hasn't been said here but I do not know how they protect a persons territory. Or if they even do. If you have to build that from scratch, it would be very difficult. I also remember when I worked in an engine building shop our Snap On guy had a hard time finding guys that had quit (or got fired from) the different shops that he sold to. Much less getting them to then pay up. No job=no money to pay for their tools.
                              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                              X