X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank pulled out of ground -75 yrs

russian tank, still lit.
    still painted.

I learned the cheapest thing in the military is the people, and the last less than everything else.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Amazing how well preserved it is sunk in that muck all those years.

Comment

Amazing. I wonder how they found it - all kinds of possibilities come to mind. Remember they were our allies at that time and they fought valiantly.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        Amazing. I wonder how they found it - all kinds of possibilities come to mind. Remember they were our allies at that time and they fought valiantly.

Dan
        I always watch the russian history for that reason.
        ..and a very very old story with my own name before English changed it to 74 less consonants and 45 less vowels.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

How in the blue blazes does a tank end up in a bog......UPSIDE DOWN?

To my understanding, the retreating forces would intentionally render unusable equipment by running into a lake or swamp, making it invisible. But they would certainly keep the ammunition. Think of the effort needed to flip a tank intentially, especially if you were in retreat. Must be some other explanation behind this one.

Wonder what the story on that unit is?
          Last edited by STINEY; February 18, 2017, 07:59 AM.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Wow that's just amazing.

It lends for a few questions....in the opening scene all we see is dirt moving. How did they rig up to it to start pulling it out?

And that would never happen that way in America. It would take a team of 10,000 experts to get that close to those munitions. At 5:26, wasn't that a land mine? I don't know, I've never seen one in person.

That's completely amazing, all of it. Thanks for the post Barry!
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
              . At 5:26, wasn't that a land mine?
              I think that was a magazine for a Ppsh 41 machine gun

Comment

Why can't we find car preserved that well
                Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Metal is abour 1" thinner !
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I was reading an article about something else they pulled out of those Russian Peat bogs (a plane I think) and they were explaining why it was so well preserved. It seems those bogs have very little oxygen content and the bog acts as a sealer like Cosmoline.

Comment

You got it, Steve.. One was even fired up after draining the cylinders and changing oils..

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                        How in the blue blazes does a tank end up in a bog......UPSIDE DOWN?

To my understanding, the retreating forces would intentionally render unusable equipment by running into a lake or swamp, making it invisible. But they would certainly keep the ammunition. Think of the effort needed to flip a tank intentially, especially if you were in retreat. Must be some other explanation behind this one.

Wonder what the story on that unit is?
                        It would be very interesting to know the history of the unit that the tank belonged to. The Russians were pretty much in full retreat from the initial German invasion in June '41 until they were able to push them back from the edge of Moscow in December. They may have felt obligated to try & destroy their equipment rather than have it captured but the Germans equipment, especially tanks, were far superior to begin with. The invasion was also arguably one of Hitlers biggest blunders of the war. Right up there with taking control of the German military from the generals & declaring war on the U.S. Yes, he did declare war on us first.
                        ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                        X