Norseman Drill Bits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norseman Drill Bits?

Now that I have the fancy drill press I've been looking for more better drill bits. Albany Fasteners sent an E-mail announcing a sale on Norseman bits. Even with a break on the price they're still a LOT more than I'm used to paying for bits (1/16 to 1/2 in 1/16 increments for $149 on sale). The question:

Are they worth it?

Dan

I have no idea....but I am concerned that you are reading spam....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

the only drill bits I buy are the tiny ones that break - all the rest get a quick touch on the bench grinder when they don't give me big chips or swirls.... yeah, I know the machinist here will have a coronary when I say this, but it's true - sharpen them on your bench grinder. Even if you screw up the centering pin, it won't matter because you drill pilot holes for large holes first anyway.
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 12, 2017, 11:39 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        the only drill bits I buy are the tiny ones that break - all the rest get a quick touch on the bench grinder when they don't give me big chips or swirls.... yeah, I know the machinist here will have a coronary when I say this, but it's true - sharpen them on your bench grinder. Even if you screw up the centering pin, it won't matter because you drill pilot holes for large holes first anyway.
        That's what I've been doing but I was thinking of trying some really nice ones for a change. I've had my big drill index for probably 30 years or more and they do sorta work. I'm certainly not the world's best bit sharpener but I can usually make 'em work OK. Just thinking of an upgrade if, indeed, these ARE an upgrade.

And Jim - not spam. I deal with Albany regularly and decided to let them send me their ads. So far they don't seem to have sold my contact info to anyone so I'm OK with getting their ads and sometimes they even have something I'm interested in.

Dan

Comment

they get a lot for real bits.

these hardened coated fairy tale somethings.. really sad.
          the dumbest ever is the titanium coated or whatever.
          "almost as hard as steel"
          what in hell are they thinking.
          crazier than a SR71.

pilot holes on cheap bits harden the material you are drilling, now the next bit up is having a harder time than the cheap bit you barely just got through the once mild steel.
          Real PITA.

I look forward to paying too much for the real stuff.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Spam is spam...

If I want something, I know where to look for it. And I don't really care if it's a "special deal" or not, I'll buy what I think is a good item for a fair price...if it's not good or fair, I won't buy it.

I sharpen mine too, but also get a new set every 5 or 10 years. My son gave me a nice index with a full set of fractional 1/16-1/2, letter, and numbers, jobber length, US made, several years ago...I use them when I want things to go well.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I have 2 sets of bits. One I keep in the drill bit drawer of the big toolbox......the other I keep hidden. And I have a drill doctor.

Grandpa taught me how to sharpen bits both on the grinder for a quickly, and with a file for real. Grandpa also shook his head at my sharpening skills, some things will ever elude me, hence the drill doctor. And the hidden bits.
              Last edited by STINEY; February 12, 2017, 09:01 PM.
              Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

never lose sight of the power of good enough. perfect is a great thing to aim for, but good enough gets far more done.

Comment

Yup, big fan of good enough!
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

How do you like the drill dr. I have been thinking about getting one.

I think what Dan is saying is he wouldn't mind buying new drill bits. Does anyone now if they are good or not, and is the price fair.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

No idea . I bought a box from work that they just one day decided to sell for a dollar a box about 20 years ago . As they break I just genereally by the cheapest TIN coated ones I can buy from whoever is closest to me timewise at the time .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                        How do you like the drill dr. I have been thinking about getting one.
                        This is the one I have. There are different models of DrillDoctors, the base model doesn't have great reviews. This one, the 500X, works well.

Last edited by STINEY; February 13, 2017, 07:03 AM.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I have a drill doctor, I never use it anymore. That said, it did teach me how to sharpen bits....

Comment

Are they good? maybe!

Norseman™ Drill & Tool our cutting tools are designed, engineered and superbly crafted to provide long lasting durability

My fabulous web page

Comment

I have a spiffy new index of Norseman bits - came in the mail today. They look great and are marked Made in the USA so I guess they are. They even came with a nifty bottle of drilling oil which I'll put to work. I haven't made any holes yet but I'll report when I do.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X