Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Fark - I've always wondered how much Icon Derelicts gouged their customers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Fark - I've always wondered how much Icon Derelicts gouged their customers...

Not sure if anyone has seen Jay Leno feature some of this guys builds, but I just got the sense he must charge through the ying yang.

As I have a '50 Buick, I like to check out what's for sale on Ebay and I saw this for a mere $397k!

he's got the link to the videos/articles in his auction

Petty cash to the likes of Jay.
    An interesting thing about the free enterprise system ... you get to choose your target demo-graph.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      Petty cash to the likes of Jay.
      An interesting thing about the free enterprise system ... you get to choose your target demo-graph.
      Exactly right, but it seems the target demo-graph isn't watching eBay.........92 watching, but not one bid yet.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

not sure why it's an issue - if someone is willing to pay it, more power to ICON for staying in business to build them.

Also that's not a bid price, that's an asking price (why those words "or best offer" is right below the blue box)

And finally, it's advertising - they build all sorts of derelict cars, so posting up 400k for one of their iconic builds pulls the rest of the ones built and to be built up in value.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 9, 2017, 07:17 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

btw - you want crack-price on a Buick?

8k for a non-running 65 wagon.... with just "a little rust"

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            btw - you want crack-price on a Buick?

8k for a non-running 65 wagon.... with just "a little rust"
            Looks like a prime starting point for the next ICON build!!!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

if those cars had the 400k miles to go with it.. might make sense.
              but no, it symbolizes the excess and slob and who gives a shits and over prices them.

what he does with them, all the old cars need. Keeping that high price is a momentum killer.

Everytime I see a 60s wagon in photo, I hear the auto gears straining their spongy take off, a high compression header leak and a solid lifter at an idle. Maybe abypass tire smacking the pavement or even an axle wiggle...and thinking of the juices stuck in the back mixing with carbon monoxide upon the little children.

What demographic is actually looking at these and saying "wow."

All this derelict stuff to mimic a bent bumpered 1996 fuel injected iron v8 GMC with a manual tranny and 368k miles.
              The real thing.
              No addons. It is just there.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Is it listed by the maker or is this they buyer trying to get his money back with intrest .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  Looks like a prime starting point for the next SBG build!!!
                  fixed. All except the price, SBG doesn't do crack therefore he is not interested in that rust bucket.

Comment

TEN has done some shop tour videos of the ICON shop. They put cubic dollars into each car so they are pretty darn expensive.

Comment

I spent 2 years, cubic dollars, at least a thousand hours building my FJ40. Not to mention that I have tens of thousands in tools, shop, gear, and experience.... and to be honest, I think they do a better job then I do. Gouging? I think not.

Comment

And my Buick, I might have it done by 2020, more likely 2030.... so how much is time worth? how much is quality work?

Comment

If you want mirror finish, perfect fit, .... You have to pay for it..

Hell! Even on our derby cars we repeat steps.. Yes just to wreck it.. Shifter must shift flawlessly, for example, we will spend hours making sure it does
                          If we were to sell a car before it was ran, nobody could really afford it.. We only build for 3, err now 2 drivers, my son and daughter.. For the time and $$$ we put in, just not worth doing it for someone else..
                          One car we built, got up to $6K before we said fk it.. That car won over $3k..

Cars are worth what someone will sell for and what someone will buy for

Comment

Originally posted by 1950_Buick View Post
                            Not sure if anyone has seen Jay Leno feature some of this guys builds, but I just got the sense he must charge through the ying yang.

As I have a '50 Buick, I like to check out what's for sale on Ebay and I saw this for a mere $397k!

he's got the link to the videos/articles in his auction
                            That isn't a for sale ad..
                            That is an ad for the shop.. but if someone did offer the right amount it go bye bye..
                            Ebay posting is a lot cheaper than say placing an ad in a car mag or on a web site.. that no one reads looks at..
                            How many here. click the ad's on here??
                            or even look at them?

Comment

Working...
                            X