Downforce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downforce

Some years ago, I ran Red at the Ohio Mile. Dan Stokes and I had great fun yakking it up in Truck at the track that weekend, it was my first time out doing such a thing. And if anybody here can remember leading up to that, I was really concerned that Red would just fly off of the track going as fast as he could, and folks here said no he won't.

This framed photo is in front of my face over my computer monitor, a trophy as such. Red going through the time trap at 139 mph. Look at his stance. The tires are inside the wheel wells. Red's not lowered, but in the photo he's about an inch and a half lower down on the springs than he really is when he's parked.

Downforce. That's amazing. The sloped front part of the hood, probably the angle of the windshield too, he was squatting going that fast. I can't quite figure why the back end was sitting down maybe even lower than the front end.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000777.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1140059
    Last edited by pdub; January 7, 2017, 09:02 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Within reason, downforce is good.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Within reason, downforce is good.
      I dunno, but strangely that photo was in the back of my mind going through Turn 4 at Daytona. I actually thought about that. I CAN steer that car going that fast. But don't get stupid and steer it too much. The guys who do that (racing) for a living, I have a huge respect for them.

Comment

That photo has less downforce at play, than tire circumference expansion (which fills the wheel well with more tire), making it appear lower. So, some of both.

Comment

Pub, in the intrest of science you need a cage and one of those black and white scale stickers. That way you can get an good measurement between the rockers and the ground at speed.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            That photo has less downforce at play, than tire circumference expansion (which fills the wheel well with more tire), making it appear lower. So, some of both.
            I laughed thinking of my truck.
            I had these old squashy p-rated at 121..
            I still wonder what the real speed was on 31.6 normal..were they 35-40? Was it 195mph?

when vehicles get big enough, downforce isn't even thought of. Even a 590,000 pound airplane can cruise in on 2 wheels at 220mph.

I like float concepts versus weight...the balance of what you really got. Downforce sounds like a kamikaze turning into a rototiller.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 8, 2017, 08:40 AM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Can't really tell much from that photo, needs faster shutter speed.. for photo's of things moving that fast.

Comment

What I see in that picture is, somebody needing to tell Turk now that you've got some experience at this and know what you're doing, he can change your classification to one that doesn't look like it says...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	dufus.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1140251

...Dufus...

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

...Dufus...
                  Yep, I picked up on that as soon as I stuck that on the windows and then stood back to admire it!

Comment

What makes you think that's a class?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      What makes you think that's a class?

Dan
                      It IS a class. It's a class of PEOPLE!

Comment

One of the reasons I don't race motorcycles - they'd put me in with the Knuckleheads!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                          What I see in that picture is, somebody needing to tell Turk now that you've got some experience at this and know what you're doing, he can change your classification to one that doesn't look like it says...
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1140251[/ATTACH]

...Dufus...
                          After watching the Monza at the mile and turk talking down to mike, I'd say it looking like that word wasn't by chance

Comment

I had an acquaintance who once said that the A/D on the side of his race car stood for attention-deficit. It's good to know they give you a special class...

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post

After watching ... turk talking down to mike...
                              The first time I ever met Turk, he didn't talk down to me at all. He just looked straight at Sue Unit and said, "You could have done better."

Comment

Working...
                              X