The Volkswagen Buyback Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Volkswagen Buyback Program

This one hits close to home, literally, the offending vehicles were lots of them assembled just up the road from here in Chattanooga.

Here's where my imagination kicks into gear. So, let's say I'm a tree hugger and I buy one of those VW diesels because they are so fuel efficient and environment friendly and I'm saving the environment.

VW makes some cars that will actually run, I mean RUN. A VW hatchback blew Red's doors off at Road Atlanta, lapped us in fact. I don't think that car was very fuel efficient.

But let's say we got the diesel and we're tooling along thinking we're doing the very best thing for the environment and all of a sudden we discover that it's all a lie, we're polluting just as much or more than anybody. If I'm a tree hugger, yes, I'll be REAL pissed off about that. If I was a tree hugger.

So, here's the thing, VW is trying to fix it with money because they are being forced to. That's all they can do to save face. Yep, they lied.

Sources close to the automaker say Volkswagen will offer to buy back up to 500,000 diesel vehicles from U.S. customers tomorrow.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I just heard one the other day, at a redlight.
    I looked over at the top of the roof, we took off..

first gear was the same. Short shifted into second like I do my truck.
    that was about it.
    my 2nd gear is the next 3 for the vw.

if in a state that does not get upset over these things, they find a way to work.
    my 30 yr old subaru at 38mpg, longer legged.. it make the vdub a shameful build, even if law abided. Those darn sideways vdubs with the diesel.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'd love to put a modified s10 frame with a v8 under a diesel beetle .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Not me. I'd have to put a Diesel in my VW Diesel.

Seriously, it's a damn shame and it didn't really get them all that much. Last I heard it was 0.7 MPG and about 12 (or so) HP. Just dumb. And I don't know why that can't disable the computer code that tells it to bypass the emissions controls when the rear wheels are moving and send them on their way. Weird......

Dan

Comment

If I had a couple of those "cheater" VWs, I'd keep them and drive them.. Evn disabled emission equipment, they still are pretty clean and nobody on this site will give up horsepower for cleaner air..
          We all make our stuff run good, therefore are cleaner than normal (read stock)
          I seriously doubt those VDubs were gross pollutors!

Comment

It's a damned shame for the entire industry, now all the greenies and all the agencies have more evidence to make the rest of the industry scared over.
            The VW TDI is a heck of a good engine - if I didn't work for another OEM I'm sure I'd have at least one of them by now - there's just nothing else out there than can deliver the same MPG without the added complexity and PITA factor of a hybrid system.

I'm putting some miles on a plug in hybrid now.... it's serving only to increase my distrust of the electrified transportation movement. They say it costs roughly $1 per charge at average KW per $ rates across the country - so - if you charge it every night - you're increasing your electric bill $30 on average --- more than enough to pay for one to two full tanks of gasoline depending on the price of gas. I don't see the savings to the end consumer here. Especially with the much higher buy in price the hybrids command - which is certainly understandable given the added complexity involved. They have some novelty I suppose, but the dollars and common cents don't add up unless electric is real cheap, or gas is real real expensive. I still haven't heard of a sensible, simple "safe" way to deal with the batteries when these cars are "recycled".
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I hate VW's and Audis. I'd crush and shred all of them.

They'd all have a date with "John"

Comment

Send John my way.. Will get good use outa him!

Comment

I have a TDI Jetta, a 2009 that I'm selling back to VW. I utterly loathe the car and it's not for the emissions BS, it's because it's not the Jetta I fell in love with. I had several, raced a bunch of Rabbits (no, Brian Lohnes doesn't have the monopoly on that) but I used to rally them here on the west coast (which probably would come as a stunning surprise to Bryan McSquatch). The problem with the car is twofold (for me). 1) they don't get the mpg they claimed - not only that, but they did a recall a couple years ago that reduced the economy even more - they get 40-45 mpg and 52 on a really, really optimal day. 2) their build quality has tumbled. The 80s Jettas I had were robust, handled like they were on rails and nothing (major) ever broke.... ever. 200k miles, no problem... then I got the 2009. Poor mileage, constant maintenance issues e.g. the electric fan has gremlins, constant check engine lights, it requires 'special vw oil' that costs $10/quart, oh yeah and the airbags go off inexplicably. I know, I hit a deer and if the front bag had gone off... no problem, but it didn't... the side bag and the seat bag went off... no idea why, none. The same sensor is still in place. Even more dammable, my wife - the one who came encumbered with a Smart car AND a Prius, won't drive it but will drive her Jeep (though she whines, though I think that's a natural state so not telling one way or the other).

They're crappy cars and the world is fully of cheaper, better handling, more reliable crappy cars.... good riddance VW.

and John, you're a friend so I must tell you this - you're on crack. The motor, its turbo and doubly its egr system are crap.... complete and utter crap. John is too good for them - and if you keep spouting this stuff there will be an intervention and it will be with a Vega, a 4 cyl Vega.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 20, 2016, 09:46 PM.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Good to know they took a dive... Disapointing. Rabbits an 80 jettas were pretty good.. Kid's friend bought some and beat them mercilessly on gravel roads. If they stand up to hi rpm clutch dumps and no lift shift.... Guess I don't want ne anymore...

Comment

I am coming at it from a one of one impression of a guy I worked with that had one - to be honest - I don't recall what year it was! It was probably somewhere around 2005? His routinely got 52-55 it was a manual trans and I'm quite certain he drove like a grampa and had a idealish commute for MPG - mostly highway and country roads.

I also recall Scott the EFI guru bragging about his at some time - but perhaps it was a bit older as well.

I've never owned one - so I was more in love with the idea than anything. Another dream shattered. This too shall pass. Scratch the TDI swap off the list ;-)

I have to say our 2002 Honda Accord gets our family award for swiss watch like dependability - not a single problem in 247,000 miles other that routine maintenance, never even charged the air conditioning, original starter, exhaust, power steering pump, etc. We changed the timing belt and water pump at 100k as instructed in the manual.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

2009 is the oldest they are buying back.

Between insurance, maintenance - they don't save money in our house. I will likely buy another spare car, but it will never be another VW.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          Between insurance, maintenance - they don't save money in our house. I will likely buy another spare car, but it will never be another VW.
                          That's because VW/Audi produces sub-standard garbage that's always broken. That's a FACT.

When I worked auto salvage I got calls daily for 1.8L T 5 valve piece of crap heads and engines.
                          I wish is had a pile of those cylinder heads and engines back then, I'd be retired right now if I did.

My wife's gf had a 'new' Bug that spent 3 outta 12 months every year in/out of the shop for the entire 7yrs she owned that dreadful pile of feces.
                          She got rid of that pile of Vorchtwagen excrement, and bought a Honda CR-V. She hasn't had a lick of trouble with the CRV either.

I'm not a fan of foreign anything in general. I'm pure blooded German and I think VW/Audi is crap period.
                          Air cooler VW's are ehhhh, ok I guess..., but the stuff they put out now is total effin' junk. Period...

Comment

To me, VW was always the Rabbits. Sure they had head problems, and fuel injection pump fuse problems, but the seats were comfortable, they were cheap, and for rally racing on a budget - really, there wasn't anything better.

These things? bloated, unreliable, myriad of computer issues.... and you want to know what I'm going to tell the person at VW when I take it back today? That's it's an awesome car, needs nothing in the hope that they apply the fix to the car and resell it..... so that the next person can sue them for selling a lemon because that's exactly what my sworn statement would be about the car. When asked about the discrepancy? I'll answer honestly, that I want to see them take it in the lederhosen again because of that POS car.

Arrogant Germans have no reason.

Comment

I saw that bald VW guy went to jail.
                              Looked like a clone of my neighbor Gene.

Hmmm. Click image for larger version

Name:	GettyImages-631337754.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1140577

Why do I have this dream to beat this to death then beat it death after is dead?
                              WHY?!

Anyway, I am going to find ancient stories.
                              History repeating itself..

if they just kept their own surname, and failed to declare their own god..
                              maybe it would be a different opinion today, 23000 years later.

sisbro nice name for them.

don't mean to rant, I had a coworker in the air guard that attacked for no reason. Was a clone of my neighbor gene who is a clone of the vw bald guy who is the clone of the monk burning in the square...

I saw a sisbro as obamas #1 hitman, in all his videos.
                              He must have dreamed he was an elite guard and became one with paperwork.
                              Mmmmm military is so tasty, all those men to pretend to be...
                              Glad obama made it through.
                              I hope VW does too.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 11, 2017, 04:52 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X