Fly in Drive home: 68 Dodge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly in Drive home: 68 Dodge

Winter's here, it's cold and dark, time to post some fun stuff on the web.

So earlier this year I was out traveling in my 93 Dodge club cab, with my camper occupying the bed of the truck, when I ran across an engine that I just had to have. I managed to finagle it into the back seat, barely. I figured a crew cab would be better for this job, it should be a lot easier to load cargo into the back seat.
    So in October, I found this 68 Dodge crew cab on the internet. I figured I could put a Cummins and a Dana 80 dually in it, and use it for a camper hauler. It was in Arizona, and I am in Minnesota. When I called the owner, he told me what a fine truck it was and it ran and drove nice. But when I suggested that I wanted to fly in and drive it to Minnesota, he said he wouldn't. It's a 55 mph truck he said. I asked if it would make it to my Dads place in FLorence AZ, about 150 miles away. He just didn't know, he hadn't driven it too far from his town.
    So I made a deal, sent him a deposit via paypal, which he agreed to refund if I didn't like the truck. Before I booked a flight, I looked for fun stuff going on in the vicinity, so I could build my trip around more that just driving a truck home.

The seller picked me up at the airport on a Saturday morning, and drove me the 1-1/2 hour trip to his house. The truck is awesome, a solid AZ truck in great shape. 318, automatic, 4.10 gears, nice aluminum wheels with new tires, and power steering. THe pic he sent me of the back of the truck wasn't too clear, and I assumed it was a long bed when I bought it. But I found it was a short bed when I got there. Oops.
    This is at the sellers house:

He gave me a couple gallons of water before I left, "just in case".
    So I'm thinking it must have overheated at some point.

On the way to my dads, I felt a driveline vibration. I stopped at home depot and found a shady spot under a tree.

I felt like a homeless guy digging thru the dumpster for a piece of cardboard to use as a "Norwegian creeper". I pulled the driveshaft out, and the ujoints were dry and a bit loose, so I greased them up and continued on my way. The driveline vibration was gone. I kept the creeper.

The little 318 was buzzing away going down I-17 with the 4.10 gears, and it felt really flat and ran pretty hot when I pushed it above 55 mph. SO I was thinking about how I was going to solve that as I drove.

Arizona is a beautiful state. Lots of Kodak moments:

The sun was going down before I got to my dads, so I stopped to take a picture to send to my friends before it got dark.

My dad has a pit. He dug it with a shovel and a wheelbarrow, then lined the walls with block. He put a ramp going into it so if a rattlesnake falls in, it can slither out.

Man , that's tough . I don't know which I like more , the pit or the truck . One of the coolest trucks I've ever seen was a crew cab 4x4 of one of those up on 38s or 40s . Very nice score . P.S. - keep us updated on the trip !
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 5, 2016, 04:36 PM.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Dad had an non running Triumph on the pit.

After we pushed that out of the way, we put the old Dodge on there.

I checked over everything, including the suspension, wheel bearings, fluids, etc. The radiator was clean as a whistle, inside and out. The points were pretty fried, so I filed them, but that caused a no spark situation. Several attempts could not get spark, so I took my dads car to town and bought new points and condenser. You gotta love Arizona, all the parts stores stock parts for the old cars. When I put the new points in, I could NOT get them gapped. They actually wouldn't open because the the rubbing block was too short. So I pulled the distributor to make it easier to work on, and then I discovered the vacuum advance can was shot. I just called the store and ordered a new distributor. It was barely more $ than all the parts needed to fix the old one. I also got a new alternator, voltage regulator, and water pump. Insurance against breakdowns on the road, and I can return them in Minnesota if I don't need them.
      On the way back from town, we saw this:

1950 dodge for sale.

So the truck got all fixed and I drove it around enuff to be confident. The truck ran at a normal temp now. It had to have been timing, and lack of vacuum advance making it run hot. It was also more responsive and powerful.

My dad has a cool hobby. He knows a guy with a junkyard, and he filters thru it and drags home stuff he likes. Here is a 1937 60 horse baby ford flathead he pulled out of an air compressor. Note the tin sides, welded on. That's the way they built them.

Comment

The SEMA convention in Las vegas seemed like a good place to go, and I have never been to Sedona, so I figured I would go see sedona, then on to Vegas. As I was tooling up 17 north of Phoenix with the little 318 humming happily along at about 3500 RPM, I saw a sign for Montezumas Castle. Well there's nothing I like more than a castle, so exited the freeway.

I paid 10$ for a ticket to see the castle. It is an old Indian cliff dwelling. It is very cool to see, and in a very pleasant spot with nearby shade trees and a flowing creek.

Comment

That IS cool! Thanks for posting!!
          Nice solid looking truck too!
          See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

I'm mostly a Chevy guy, but crew cabs of that era from any brand are awesome! Enjoy the ride home!

Devin

Comment

Originally posted by Devin View Post
              I'm mostly a Chevy guy, but crew cabs of that era from any brand are awesome! Enjoy the ride home!

Devin
              And mostly rare.. Beat up usually.. Railroad, logging usually had them around here and beat on mercilessly..

That is a nice pickup, Joel..
              Is it going to be your daily driver with a rear gear swap?

Comment

Great truck, great adventure. I'll stay tuned.

Dan

Comment

Now I want/need a pit in my backyard. Will have to incorporate a sump-pump and automatic snow-shovel in the Mid-West version though.

Great truck Joel, and sounds like a fun trip.
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Great thing , your out of the wind or you could put a wind block up ,. Car can't fall on you . You could put a Electric heater in there with you .
                    P.S. I hope your not back yet because I love a good road trip with pics and stories .

If you do cummins it will you leave the low gears in it or not ? What kind of trans , manual or auto ?
                    Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 6, 2016, 10:38 AM.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That rear gear would not be appropriate with a Diesel. They make low speed grunt but do NOT spin up in RPM so somewhere around a 3:00 gear would be appropriate depending on rear tire diameter - maybe even more like a 2:70 or something. Truck's redline is 3200 RPM IIRC and I don't recall the axle ratio. Mutt's shift point is 5100 but that's VERY unusual for a Diesel. Even the stock Mercedes redline is 4700 IIRC, very high RPM. Mutt has a 3:08 gear and 28" tall tires and spins about 4600 RPM at the finish line, just under 130MPH.

Dan

Comment

With an over drive trans 4.10s are not to bad. I think that's what my old Cummins had. I don't remember the tire height but it would run 75 mph no problem. I do think it wold have pulled nearly as good with 3.55 and got better mpg. OD for the win!
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Lift and 40' tires for the win ! Well and a front drive axle ........and a transfer case , and a front drive shaft . Well , thats my dream truck . But I do well spending other peoples money !
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Wow, nice truck. I love it the way it is. How tall are the present tires? my guess about 28"? The 4.10's aren't as bad with that size, not like you're running a 25" tire.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Did a bit of Googling and my Dodge (it's pre-Ram) seems to have a 3:54 w/ Cummins and an automatic. Works great. My tires look about the same height as the ones on Joel's new truck. Darn if I can remember the RPM at highway speed but it's pretty low, like maybe 1800 or so. Hauls Mutt over the Smokies without drawing a deep breath - 70 MPH all the way.

Dan
                              Last edited by DanStokes; December 6, 2016, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X