No announcement yet.

Old vs new, built vs bought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im to the point since im not the best builder, sometimes a payment a month is cheaper then keep throwing money in a project that might or might get me where im going. I'll always have projects, Im just not going to depend on them as my daily driver.

Comment

i own both. have done some modding to both. both have been on the power tour. all that being said we usually take the 04 for the comfort and convience of AC. we have had zero issues with the 04 and only a couple very minor things with the 67. if we can go next year which vehicle we take will depend on the direction it heads. north and we will probably take the 67. south where it can get brutally hot we will take the 04 with AC. i can see both sides of the story and am torn between which way to go. same things with import vs domestic. its in what you like and take pride in. i respect the work a person puts into a car and the pride they take in it. we all don't like the same thing. thats why i own both so i can have the experience of each.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
        We've had this before, wondering if thoughts have changed since the last one. It came up on the Power Tour facebook feed. Old car had to move for new Corvette parking. Owner was miffed because anyone can buy a new car. Then others chimed in that buying an old car rather than building it is just as bad as showing up with a new Vette, Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, etc...

What are your thoughts? Do you respect a nutjob like me who builds everything more than the guy who meticulously keeps his car in great shape for decades? Is a car showed by the guy who built it more special or respectable than one bought by someone?

At the show I went to over the weekend, I was about the only builder. Every guy I talked to there had owned the car for decades, they were either original or repainted long ago, they bought them that way. I know how I feel about it, how do you feel about it?
        Any this is why we as a hobby have a huge problem..

every vehicle new, old, bought, built, detailed to the 9's or red neck engineered.. is fine..
        Stop with this, singling parts of the car hobby out..

Comment

Oh, jeez...not this again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	58a.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1110645
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
            Oh, jeez...not this again.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n1110645[/ATTACH]
            Tell me about it, what a stupid thing to fight over. At least the low compression makes the engine bigger thing was funny.

Comment

Who cares. Some might have the ability to do more than others. If we all enjoy the same thing that is what matters. I will tell you what does matter is the direction our country may go in the next few years so we better stick together.

Comment

I have only "Built" one car in my life, but it fit in a shoe box and I had help. I've bolted parts together that somebody else "built" before. It's fun... isn't that what it's about?
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Built not bought!

Comment

I like the idea of keeping old school cars on the road. I don't think every old car needs a thousand horsepower engine but they all deserve some TLC and road time. I definitely respect the people that build their cars more but if I had money I would probably pay someone to do the job for me. But then again maybe I would have my own pole barn and a lift and the tools to do everything to my car. I'm 23 so I'm just happy to have the lemans at least. you old guys suck. Wish I could have driven stuff like that off the lot. Only car i have bought new was a 2013 focus and i hate driving that thing. be jealous of my moonroof though.

Comment

Some people don't have the skill or means to build and upkeep a old car. Some people can't have a old car and a daily. Think about that 20 something with a alright job that has enough for a daily but wants to get into the hobby. Is he/she a bad person cause they have to buy a new car to daily and enjoy as a enthusiast? Can they not be proud of what they have? I'd much rather see someone take a classic and build it and respect it than it go into the hands of someone that neglects it or become a abandoned project left to ruin. New muscle is still muscle. That old car sat on a dealership lot before too. And I bet someone back in the 60's scoffed at that new GTO in a sea of hotrods at the drive in.
                      Visit my sons blog:
                      www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I must be getting hardened as I get older.
                        the "built not bought" is like making a soldier for a war.

I won't say what I think the war is.

I caught on with my truck I have had for just 3 years.
                        I have triggered road rage twice just getting on the highway..and a third time, sent one right off into the horizon thinking it was a race.
                        if you could take a wild guess at the genre and origin of vehicles being this jumpy..while maintaining a suicidal ego hammered down on the dinky little wheels and cute little whistling noises...

my dad is much worse on the same subject.

Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Damon23 View Post
                          Some people don't have the skill or means to build and upkeep a old car. Some people can't have a old car and a daily. Think about that 20 something with a alright job that has enough for a daily but wants to get into the hobby. Is he/she a bad person cause they have to buy a new car to daily and enjoy as a enthusiast? Can they not be proud of what they have? I'd much rather see someone take a classic and build it and respect it than it go into the hands of someone that neglects it or become a abandoned project left to ruin. New muscle is still muscle. That old car sat on a dealership lot before too. And I bet someone back in the 60's scoffed at that new GTO in a sea of hotrods at the drive in.
                          Damon - I think that IF you're a car person - or a car person wannabe - you do the best you can with what you have. And of course, you have an excellent point that starting out you have to have a car that is what you have to have. I remember when the best I could do was a 1963 6 cylinder Mercury Comet - this was about 1967 or so. It wasn't much, bought VERY used. I added a tape stripe up and over it - the car was a sort of light tan and the stripe was brown, more or less duct tape. I was 19 and had a wife and a baby on the way. It was what I could do so I did what I could.

Now I can do better and I have that experience to look back on and use to help me appreciate where I am today. Lots of guys have a lot more (in the car department) than I have but my stable is pretty cool to my mind.

So yes, you do the best you can with what you have and maybe some day you'll have more to play with. The day will come when a Fox Mustang will be a somewhat rare piece and folks will lust after them. Today, it's a cheap starting point. When I was a kid that was the Tri-Five Chevy - no one would be caught dead in a 4 door because they were so plentiful. Times change, the cars to be nostalgic for change, but hopefully there will always be some kid starting out with what he has to have but working toward what s/he thinks is cool.

Dan

Comment

We had a saying about this back in my Harley days. Long before Willie G. & investors bought the company from AMF. It was simple; "Ride what you like & like what you ride".
                            ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I think it doesn't matter. A hot rodder is someone I tend to like. Someone who builds their own car is someone I tend to have more conversation. Someone who thinks their widget is the only widget anyone should ever buy I tend to avoid. That said, to me a hot rodder is someone who buys a car from some other attribute outside of utility. None of it, however, makes it more or less likely that I'll get along with the person e.g. Pirate 4x4 - they're all short-bus riding trolls.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I admit that I am not a mechanic. Those skills skipped a generation in my family and I am the one that got skipped over. That said, I do have two Studebakers. I have a very good friend who helps me with them. I become the gopher and he tells me what to get and what to do. Most folks like me who love cars, especially old cars, are not as lucky as I am. There are new cars I would love to have, but in reality cannot justify buying. When I go to car shows, cruise-ins, etc I drift away from the new stuff toward the older stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X