How to Fix a Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Fix a Wall

We were getting packed up and ready to go to the Gear Head Inn, the best weekend of the year. We're gonna make racket and drive around, and it's the best weekend of the year.

I weigh 145 pounds. So does that big ass sound board. I found a solution last time,I can drag it on its narrow end up and down the stairs. I can actually move this thing by itself. Down the stairs, I can lean it a certain way and it catches on every step edge. Thump, thump, thump. And when it catches on a step edge, I can rest for a few seconds, at least, afraid it will crash the rest of the way down the steps.

The band room is upstairs. Not actually a band room, an extra bedroom, but it's a band room now. Piles of heavy black equipment that likes lots of wires hooked up to it. This time, the perfect method went bad. My back was already sore and .....it got off course. Gravity is our friend until you are trying to steer a big sound board down a staircase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scene of the Incident.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1099968

Yeah, I lost control of that megaton ancient relic. WHAT a great nasty gouge in the wall. So now that all of the fun is over, I've gotta fix it. I know 46% more about fixing a house than I know about fixing a car. Spackle, sanding.....drywall joint compound, paint that matches 30 year-old paint after we've been smoking in the house for years.........everybody I've spoken with has an opinion on how to fix it.

I can't call the landlord and say, "YOUR wall has a nasty gouge in it."
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Paint the wall a different color or a different shade of the other walls. Make it an accent wall.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickleone View Post
      Paint the wall a different color or a different shade of the other walls. Make it an accent wall.

Nick
      I don't even notice what day of the week it is most times. The wall?.....Sue Unit is the most not-a-detail woman I've ever seen. But I messed up the wall and I can "see" it, I'll fix it. Somehow.

Comment

Hang a picture over it
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          Hang a picture over it
          Russell, you and I are like-in-mind. We've got a photo of our ex-deceased cat Frecklee. He's staring out the back door at the old rental house at a feral red cat.

I told Unit, let's just hang that photo to cover up that hole in the wall, and Kenny can look at Frecklee every time he goes up the stairs. Like he's seeing another cat, or something.

Name:	P1000474.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1100009
          Last edited by pdub; April 28, 2016, 05:14 PM.

Comment

We have a place where the door stop fell off and the doorknob punched a hole thru the wallboard. I screwed a piece of steel plate over it, then screwed a blank switch plate over that. The doorknob is free to hit the wall all it wants now. Never did fix the doorstop.
            Last edited by Loren; April 28, 2016, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Put another hand rail on the other side, get 2-4 gate rollers (wheels that hold the gate onto pipe) and a couple 2X4's
              Stop downstairs far enough to slide the soundboard on the first set of wheels, continue until the 2nd set of wheels is ready to take the load and back downstairs.. When the first set of wheels fall off the hand rails, ste it on the floor.. Easy peasy!

Comment

take up the ukelele

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  We have a place where the door stop fell off and the doorknob punched a hole thru the wallboard. I screwed a piece of steel plate over it, then screwed a blank switch plate over that. The doorknob is free to hit the wall all it wants now. Never did fix the doorstop.
                  definitely calls for weld on the sheetrock.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

knock down the wall and build an addition to the house...new band room...no stairs....done!
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

And a BATHROOM! ..
                      Seems I remember them whining all the bathrooms were upstairs?

Comment

Here we go. I'd rather hit myself in the head with a hammer on purpose than to paint, but here we go. Let's bust open the can and scatter and smear and spill and drip paint all over the surrounding three counties, because that's what always happens. Paint you'll find 6 months later wherever it doesn't belong. Like a crime scene investigation. Hey, there's paint over here.

Name:	P1000475.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1100312

Comment

Well, after all of the prep work, that can of "matching" paint was so old i couldn't get the lid off of it. After we took turns shaking it for about two hours. I pried and pried with that paint can opener you get free at Tony Depot when you buy paint, that lid was rusted shut. I went out in the garage and got a BFS and forced that danged lid off of there, and a big hunk of the can came with it. So now there's rust floating all in the paint.

Done. Dammit. We have a custom finish, you can't buy paint with those black speckles in it like that. I love to paint, it's one of my most favorite things. Just sayin.

Comment

Next can, take a small sharp nail and poke tiny deain holes in the channel the lid sits in.. No more paint welded lids...

Comment

You know, apathy is easier than painting.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X