Cleaning aluminum VC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning aluminum VC

I've got a pair of 85 Mustang aluminum covers I'd like to use on my P motor. I've cleaned them up quite a bit. First I did a baking soda blast followed by the good lye based Easy off. One cover looks great, the other still has some oxidation or dull color that I can't seem to get off. Suggestions? Wheel cleaner?
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

There's a heavy duty acid wash the semi truck shops use that removes oxidation from aluminium wheels and trailers.
    Last edited by tardis454; February 13, 2016, 11:21 AM.

Comment

physically remove it, and throw them in the 0F snow.
      treat it like a "forged almuninium" piston.

english way of saying it.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have a wheel in the shop on one of my grinders that's perfect for this kind of thing. We always called it a "green wheel" (it has a greenish tint) but is sold at machine tool suppliers as a deburring wheel. It makes a really pretty brushed aluminum finish. If you want high gloss you can follow up with a cotton buff and jeweler's rouge. I use the heck out of mine to take the edges off almost anything I cut or weld. Makes me look better than I am. Can't recommend this highly enough (reminds me that I need to order up a fresh one).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
          There's a heavy duty acid wash the semi truck shops use that removes oxidation from aluminium wheels and trailers.
          I tried something similar. It's HD HVAC coil cleaner. If anything it made it worse. Maybe I'll just paint them black crinkle and polish the fins.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            I have a wheel in the shop on one of my grinders that's perfect for this kind of thing. We always called it a "green wheel" (it has a greenish tint) but is sold at machine tool suppliers as a deburring wheel. It makes a really pretty brushed aluminum finish. If you want high gloss you can follow up with a cotton buff and jeweler's rouge. I use the heck out of mine to take the edges off almost anything I cut or weld. Makes me look better than I am. Can't recommend this highly enough (reminds me that I need to order up a fresh one).

Dan
            Dan, I was interested in retaining the stock as cast finish. One cover looks great, the other poop. Maybe I'll try the baking soda blast again, if not I think it'll be paint time.

Last fall we went to visit my daughter at school. There was a fund raiser for the school in town but it was pouring rain. One flea market shop had a Blador buffing wheel on a stand practically brand new. The asking price was $175 and the lady just wanted to get rid of it. She said make an offer. I so wanted to but had no way of getting it home.
            Last edited by Huskinhano; February 13, 2016, 01:52 PM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I'm having same dilemma. Trying to clean up a set of 1970 LT1 finned VC. I too want the original factory cast look and scared to use to harsh of a cleaner, but look's like I'm gonna have to try something. I've been working on one it's close but still kinda dull. If I get brave I'll let you know how they turn out. Been thinking about the green wheel, got a buddy who has one. Might do the end that face's the firewall for a test.
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
              X