Going to check out a vette tonight .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to check out a vette tonight .

I have been holding on to the info of a 76 ish vette that is orange for $3000 - 2800 since nov. 10th. Its a Virginia or West Virginia car. I was going to post it in Stiney's corvette thread but I've given up on him buying one . No offense Stiney . So any way , my youngest daughter has been talked out of rusted out 60s C10 pick ups and will probably buy this one . I'll have wifey post pics after it goes one way or another. Buy the way . Can I see any of the " bird cage from under the car ?
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

bird cage = the bars around the top of the cage like the windshield posts (a - pillar), the B-pillar and the cross bars..... you need to look around the front windshield frame for major rust. Look where the frame goes up and over the rear wheels in the triangle for rust issues. Look for cracks or poor welds on the front cross member.
    If the car is 76 and newer, it has steel floors (because of cats), those rust but are really easy to replace because GM simply replaced the flat section with steel.

The most important, though, are those corners on the frame where mud and salt can reside, and the windshield frame (since no one makes replacement parts). Also, the vehicle frame can rust out so pay attention to all the areas.

Also, where the control arms mount to the frame (in the back)... those trap moisture and when they're failed - will make the car handle like crap (alternatively, if they've been replaced that's a major, major plus) On top of that, taking those stupid things out is a pain (see my plastic fantastic thread for a full description).

As for the rest.... you'd do well to give my thread a quick-look-over because there was nothing I didn't touch - except body mounts.... as long as those aren't rusted out, leave them alone; you do not need the hell of replacing those.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Great advice can't add anything SB pointed out the problem areas. Just like he said LOOK CLOSELY!
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Thanks guys . I really wanted this one as well as keeping my 87 but hey if it keeps her away from rusty trucks that I'd have to fix and she'd never get her money back on , it's worth it .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

yes, and you haven't lived until you can't get the headlights to open.... it's truly NOT a musclecar in fiberglass - they really are their own car and as such can be a bit of a steeper learning curve then a pickup.

Comment

Um AMEN!
            But I still love mine!
            Last edited by corvettedad; February 12, 2016, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Just got back a little bit ago and then ate . She bought it . Paid 2800 for it . So we get there and I look at the engine rating on the console . I see 270 or 275 and was surprised . Then the guy says no , it doesn't have that much . Then I look again , that's the torque rating ! So I'm guessing 170 -180 ? Turns out it is a 75 . I got excited fiberglass, fiberglass floors no converter ......dual exhaust . Then I get under it , single exhaust, converter , metal floor on the passenger side . Must be a late 75 . Any way , I'm going to see if the Mrs. will put some pics up .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Here are the pictures.
                Attached Files
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Looks nice! What's the plan? Fix little things and drive it, or will it get more compression and a better cam?
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

It was driven into a garage two years ago and the tires look new but they are 10 years old . So the plan is next week to go get it when its warm squirt some oil in the cylinders maybe drain the oil and fire it up. Before it hits the highway change the tires . And maybe spray some orange paint on that spot on the hood that lost its paint . And then she'll drive it .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Cool! 2800 leaves a lot of room for improvement's. If the undersides look as decent as the top I'd say " score"

Comment

wow, you scored

Comment

Nice car for sure!
                          For reference..77 Chevy C-30 350 had 160 ponies stock...
                          RV-2 cam, intake and Holley woke it up good with headers hellowing "HERE I AM!"
                          You probably can get away with a bigger cam..

Comment

Why don't you and Paula bring it over for a weekend and we'll spray that hood? Could be a fun time.

Dan

Comment

Looks nice! 2800 bucks is a score! The orange looks good on those too!

Comment

Working...
                              X