When did this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studemax View Post
    I was surprised and annoyed at all the background music levels that now wash out all the dialogue. It's crazy! I mean - it's called background music. Why isn't it staying there? Anyone know what the hell is going on with this shit?
    I've noticed that recently too and thought it was just me. I'm glad it's not, but extremely annoyed to not be able to hear the dialog because the "background" music (read noise here) was too load !

Comment

Started back in the Miami Vice days of t.v. . I remember I loved that show but , I can't watch reruns of it, just too annoying. Back in those days I could watch a show and be active in 2 conversations. Now its one conversation or one show.
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Started back in the Miami Vice days of t.v.
        Naw.... I've seen reruns of Miami Vice and today's shows are far more obnoxious with overmixed background music obliterating dialogue.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

it started with you tube.

32khz mono (or worse) popping the car sounds and wherever the recording is...the better digital video is only 10 years old.

Most covered it with music.
          Some got clever, actually making it a music looking video..

I still do not complain of the captions. even court workers used to be short hand just to keep up.
          I use it for foreign interviews of important people or events, it is never exactly right...but at least it can be deciphered to get an idea of what is being said.

Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The background music overriding the dialogue is quite annoying. Makes it hard to watch.
            I'll try to address some of the comments on the captioning.
            The TV station decides where the captions appear on the screen. With the networks trying to jam more info on the screen it doesn't leave much room for captions. Top or bottom of screen the lesser of two evils.

The quality of captions. Recorded programs should be perfect, it can be edited. Live programs depend on the quality of the captioner, the equipment, the connections.
            Broadcast captioning is mostly done remotely over phone lines. When you see the captions all jumbled, that's a connection issue. Words misspelled or dropped are an accuracy error. The best captioners have a 98% or better accuracy. What has happened is that as more captioning has been mandated by regulations, more people have entered the profession. The competition for contracts has increased, pricing has come down along with compensation for the captioner. The better captioners have moved on to more lucrative opportunities. Some companies are hiring captioners right out of school with no experience, paying the same as someone with 20 years experience. If your captions suck, complain to your TV station.
            Hope this helps.

Comment

Phil318.. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Phil318 View Post
                The background music overriding the dialogue is quite annoying. Makes it hard to watch.
                I'll try to address some of the comments on the captioning.
                The TV station decides where the captions appear on the screen. With the networks trying to jam more info on the screen it doesn't leave much room for captions. Top or bottom of screen the lesser of two evils.

The quality of captions. Recorded programs should be perfect, it can be edited. Live programs depend on the quality of the captioner, the equipment, the connections.
                Broadcast captioning is mostly done remotely over phone lines. When you see the captions all jumbled, that's a connection issue. Words misspelled or dropped are an accuracy error. The best captioners have a 98% or better accuracy. What has happened is that as more captioning has been mandated by regulations, more people have entered the profession. The competition for contracts has increased, pricing has come down along with compensation for the captioner. The better captioners have moved on to more lucrative opportunities. Some companies are hiring captioners right out of school with no experience, paying the same as someone with 20 years experience. If your captions suck, complain to your TV station.
                Hope this helps.

I figured it was something like that, and they probably put the new guys on the night shifts.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                X