No announcement yet.

Wash Your Air Conditioner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actually, you do have room for that hole. Holes can be vertical as well as horizontal ya know.
    Last edited by STINEY; July 29, 2015, 04:31 PM.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I considered it years ago.. Now I got too much crap in the way

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        Different strokes for different folks I guess.......when I run across something I have never heard of its like a moth to a flame. I can't rest till I've learned a little about it,
        Hell, let's build a 700 story skyscraper right here in our driveway that will park six cars parked nose to tail. No, my mind can't get there.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

Hell, let's build a 700 story skyscraper right here in our driveway that will park six cars parked nose to tail. No, my mind can't get there.
          Nope. Don't go UP...go DOWN.. Theory is underground stays same temp year round past the freeze line.. So winter time you are pumping 45* air into your 20* house then boosting it to 75* with a reverse ac..

Comment

Hehe....you remind me of a former co-worker of mine. He was from Knoxvulle ( how ya'all pronounce it) and in my head I hear your words in his voice.

Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Nope. Don't go UP...go DOWN.. Theory is underground stays same temp year round past the freeze line.. So winter time you are pumping 45* air into your 20* house then boosting it to 75* with a reverse ac..
              I actually understand that, the underground thing. Plus, there is NO freeze line in Tennessee. And when I saw that World War One trench line dug in a yard lots bigger than ours, my main breaker tripped. I lost power to all my brain's lights. I still can't reset it. When I sleep tonight, I'll see that hole in the ground. It might last for a week of nights.

Comment

I've never done that to my coil/ compressor outside. Good info here.

I have, however, cleaned the coils inside the air handler a few times over the years. Dog hair, dust, carpet fibers, etc. will clog it up and not allow enough air to pass through it to do the proper heat exchange, which leads to it freezing up. Air doesn't pass through it at all when it freezes up, then when it thaws and the ice melts, can cause water damage. A dirty filter can also cause the coil to freeze up due to the same lack of enough air flow to exchange the heat.

What I've learned from HVAC experts: Use the pleated filters. Not the cheap flat ones. Not the washable ones. The pleated ones.
                My business partner's dad was the head HVAC guy for a college around here, and has been in the A/C or refrigeration business for 40 plus years. He installed an AC unit in his house after moving in 30+ years ago, he uses only the pleated filters - and he has never needed to clean his coil.

Comment

My own soaks with mountain dew and rain. I'd dirty it with anything I did.
                  We hit the summer high of 81F today, summer is over anyway.
                  leaves are falling, the old sube is creakin for the coming winter.

Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
                    I've never done that to my coil/ compressor outside. Good info here.

I have, however, cleaned the coils inside the air handler a few times over the years. Dog hair, dust, carpet fibers, etc. will clog it up and not allow enough air to pass through it to do the proper heat exchange, which leads to it freezing up. Air doesn't pass through it at all when it freezes up, then when it thaws and the ice melts, can cause water damage. A dirty filter can also cause the coil to freeze up due to the same lack of enough air flow to exchange the heat.

What I've learned from HVAC experts: Use the pleated filters. Not the cheap flat ones. Not the washable ones. The pleated ones.
                    My business partner's dad was the head HVAC guy for a college around here, and has been in the A/C or refrigeration business for 40 plus years. He installed an AC unit in his house after moving in 30+ years ago, he uses only the pleated filters - and he has never needed to clean his coil.
                    My wife changes our filter every 30 days religiously - the service guys at her office have her well indoctrinated, she buys them by the case.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Hehe....you remind me of a former co-worker of mine. He was from Knoxvulle ( how ya'all pronounce it)
                      KNOCKS-vull it is. You have to have the inflection

How would all y'all Otherners pronounce Sevierville? That one's tricky.

Comment

Ceee-ver
                        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          Ceee-ver
                          Nope, not if you're local. I never even tried to pronounce it until I finally heard somebody say it. I was glad I hadn't tried.

Comment

I'm guessing SAYVOR-VULL......rhymes with cidervoll?

Comment

I'm guessing SAYVOR-VULL......rhymes with cidervoll?
                              Nope, not if you're local. I never even tried to pronounce it until I finally heard somebody say it. I was glad I hadn't tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X