No announcement yet.

What is Hot Rod's problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear that crap all the time. "It's just rotting away" or "You should sell all those old cars and buy a new one" which is often followed by "you'll never get to them anyway" and that's from people who know me and watch me take a rolling shell to driver in less than four months, do frame off restorations in less than four years, and paint cars in 3 weeks.

This is my standard reply to them.

Just because you would never get them drivable doesn't mean I won't. Just because some guy has a car in his yard that is rotting into the ground while he watches Baywatch reruns, won't sell it, and will "fix it up someday" doesn't mean my stuff will rust into the ground like his. You want it so bad, you can buy it when it's done instead of when it's the yard art that I picked up years ago that they used for a parts car. I will rebuild it, I will make it reliable. You will let it rot in your yard like the guy who won't sell it to you.

No you can't give me $200 for the ratty GTO that has a new 455, overdrive trans, built 12 bolt, and runs flawlessly. No you can't give me $500 for the 72 Formula that has it's original rare round port 455 in it, four times that won't buy the heads. No you can't derby the T37 I have sitting here. No, I won't sell you a Formula 400 so you can put your Targetmaster 350 or junkyard 5.3 in it. Is the T37 or Formula 400 worth more than $500? Nope. Why won't I sell it to you? Because I buy dead projects from guys like you who let them sit for 20 years and it's your only old car. Right now it needs all the parts I have safely tucked away and have been collecting for it while building others. Those parts are worth more than the car is right now, and no you can't buy them too. When it's done, probably, but it won't be cheap. $2500 wont buy a car I have $10k cash and two years time invested in rebuilding it, even if it isn't painted yet. I'm not your charity service.

My 79 10th Anniversary TA has been sitting since 1988, I'm collecting parts for it because it was rough but rust free when I bought it in 87. Some are rather difficult to find, or expensive to buy. It's safe, not going anywhere, and theres no mice in it. Barn find? No, I know it's there. Most don't know for a reason.

Only one of these isn't painted, all of them run and drive, put in fuel and a battery and go. This pic is only 6 years old. How many cars have the people telling me that crap done in the last 6 years? None I bet. I've gotten 7 cars painted and drivable despite a divorce and being homeless for two years in the same time. The question isn't if I will get to them, it's which one do I want to do this week.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Motive View Post
      I've never considered any of my cars a hot rod, they're muscle cars.
      A Muscle car is just a genre ... and it can be stock and still be a muscle car, but not a hot rod, unless it has been modified to improve it's performance.

Comment

Frankly I think DF is/was really what Hot Rod needed...but sometimes when we find someone agreeable, then admirable...then we hear or see something we don't like, and we had been holding them to some high standard, we take it kinda personal. We're all human, that's all that's going on there. No way in hell I could try to come up with anything resembling marketable (or even interesting) content month-after-month, year after year, without starting to just blabber. Lots of people like the videos and the hacking around on stuff, and no one's opinion on things like whether some particular car should be worked on or sit needs to matter too much to you or I if it doesn't seem to apply, it's just talk or maybe food for thought, or entertainment.

I sorta knew the guy 'way back as one of the resident smart-asses at Glendale Speed Center when my crowd was preferring the attitude at Western Performance across town, as I aimlessly wandered into adult life without much of a grip on what I wanted out of it I could have been annoyed by the people who came from a life of standing around in car parts stores and parking lots and made something out of it (I know more than one), but you know... I just went my own way also and found home in machine shops etc, not the automotive type but where widgets get stamped out and it's noisy all the time. Cars? Still the main thing, just in a different way...

The guys who wound up on TV or writing about my beloved cars, they don't have to be experts (although we do enjoy nailing them when they're wrong about something) and their opinions don't matter enough to get annoyed over. I say that as a guy who's opinion has not mattered much itself at times, who's cars have been sniffed at and walked past, and then other times I was mr. expert and my projects have been crawled all over...who knows, who cares. It's just life. Entertainment.

The car mags continue to pile up around here as they have forever but also along with mfr. literature etc. and especially non-"TEN" material. Check out the Xtreme Media stuff especially the sportsman drag racing mag with John Debartolomeo, it's the kind of thing that got me into cars in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post

A Muscle car is just a genre ... and it can be stock and still be a muscle car, but not a hot rod, unless it has been modified to improve it's performance.
          I picture 54 & down as hot rods.

Comment

I picture 54 & down as hot rods.
            I guess my 55-62 stuff is just nothing, then. Too new to be hot rods, too old to be muscle cars.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

We could rename "The Enthusiast Network" to be "The Entertainment Network"
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

I guess my 55-62 stuff is just nothing, then. Too new to be hot rods, too old to be muscle cars.
                My tri-fives were muscle cars.

Comment

Damn I rant about that. Sore spot for me.

Comment

My tri-fives were muscle cars.
                    somehow the whopping 162 hp my 55 was built with, doesn't seem to make it a muscle car in my mind.

But I can see calling modified 54 and older cars Street Rods....even though when I was a member of NSRA, it was 1948 and old cars only.

See how meaningless the terms are, because everyone disagrees what they mean. It's pretty much a waste of time putting labels on them.

My fabulous web page

Comment

See how meaningless the terms are, because everyone disagrees what they mean. It's pretty much a waste of time putting labels on them.
                      Exactly !

Comment

"Drivers that put a smile on my face"

Comment

When I was an impressionable young lad, I distinctly remember reading in an old book in our local library (it was a how to-book, showed how to channel,z-frames, and such) that the term HotRod was reserved exclusively for cars old enough to have a flat windshield, preferably in two halves split horizontally.

According to that book, anything newer was something else. Like a jalopy I believe.....it was an old book from the 50's, doubt the term StreetRod had been invented yet.

So I took that to mean I could loosely refer to my Sandrail as a HotRod. It's a coloquial term after all, us that understand know what others that also know mean when using it.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Nothing I've said I haven't said in forum conversation with DF. I stand by what I said, throwing rocks because its not your taste is the antithesis of hot rodding. Destroying something simply to destroy it isn't hot rodding either. Of course, unintentionally destroying something is fundamentally what gets us on the hot rodding road. I have no idea what a "true" hot rod is, but I do know that bickering, infighting, name calling, popularity contests are tried and true ways of destroying it all. If my subscription to HR came up now, I wouldn't renew because it's all about fashion, petty bickering, and tearing down hot rods (and I don't care that Mopar was going to crush it, GMG got high praise in my book for stealing the motor and doing something with it). Jackass wasn't funny then, and tired attempts at Jackass-in-flipflops is lame.

Let me put it even more simply.

Be nice. Encourage people into the addiction rather then giving them a bad trip.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 25, 2015, 12:08 PM.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

How did the Ass Monkeys get involved here? (not throwing stones, we kid with affection).

The Challenger build I really felt bad for whoever sold them the '71. Frame-off, pretty close to perfect and GMG said "here's $42K, don't look while we nearly start over". Sure, "rescue" the drivetrain from the prototype but why not find something in need of some work? There WERE slant 6 and 318 '71 Challengers. They WERE'NT all R/Ts. The really relevant update car would have been a Challenger SE which had a smaller "formal" rear window and an overhead console. Replacing the torsion bars with coilovers. How was the end result better than a new Scat Pack? Plus their ignorance. In '71 Scat Pack was NOTHING but an ad campaign. There was a Track Pack option, maybe that is the source of their confusion. Otherwise Dodge labeled their muscle cars "Scat Pack". Plymouth "Rapid Transit System".

As far as a no-sniping hobby, hot rodding is an art. For every successful artist there are dozens struggling because they have less talent and sincerity. Plus the art community always operates as a contest, seeking out the finest work with the deepest commitment.

To do it well hot rodding is a learning experience with a heritage. Ignore that and you will also need to ignore a lot of criticism.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

somehow the whopping 162 hp my 55 was built with, doesn't seem to make it a muscle car in my mind.

But I can see calling modified 54 and older cars Street Rods....even though when I was a member of NSRA, it was 1948 and old cars only.

One of mine was a 4 door. I called it the wifes car.

Comment

Working...
                                X