Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buick wont start?

my 1992 buick park avenue wont start?

ive checked all the fuses and theyre all good. its getting fuel and has a new battery and turns over fine but its getting no spark to the coils.

whats wrong?

Re: buick wont start?

how do you know it's getting fuel?

it's pretty common on those 3800s to lose the cam position sensor, or crank position sensor. What you want to find out is if the injectors are firing or not (noid light tester is cheap and works), if the inejctors are firing then you know the problem is with the ignition coilpack or it's power/grounds. If the inejctors aren't trying to fire, that means the ECU isn't seeing engine RPMs and never trying to fire the coils or injectors.

On that setup, the crank sensor signal goes to the ignition box first. Got a haynes manual or service manual? follow the diagnostic procedures...
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

i can hear the fuel pump turn on when i turn the key forward so i was assuming it was getting fuel :

i have one of these. could you test the injectors with this?

Comment

if it turns over, it won't be the safety switch.

The fuel pump just pressurizes the rails. Doesn't mean the injectors are opening. that test light will only check power to the injectors, not that they're being triggered/opened.

You can make a noid light with a simple LED, but it's easier to go get one at a parts store. Have you tried holding the throttle wide open while cranking the starter? might just be flooded...
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

The fuel pump just pressurizes the rails. Doesn't mean the injectors are opening. that test light will only check power to the injectors, not that they're being triggered/opened.

You can make a noid light with a simple LED, but it's easier to go get one at a parts store. Have you tried holding the throttle wide open while cranking the starter? might just be flooded...
          ive tried starting it at WOT. still didnt start.

is there any way i could take out the injectors to see if theyre opening? (i dont know much about FI)

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
            Originally posted by dieselgeek

ive tried starting it at WOT. still didnt start.

is there any way i could take out the injectors to see if theyre opening? (i dont know much about FI)

not really. not without making a huge fuel mess anyways, and catching yourself on fire.

you can see if a spark plug is getting wet or not.

Comment

i'll check the spark plugs. :D

Comment

what if you sprayed some brake cleaner down the throttle body while someone tried to start it.
                if it runs it might tell you it's not getting gas?
                probably a bad idea, i know, but i've done it before.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

checked the plugs. they were dry.

now what? new injectors?

Comment

get a manual and follow the diag procedure.

the injectors may be fine. if the ecm isnt seeing a cam or crank signal then it wont trigger the injectors.

Comment

he said he can hear the fuel pump.

if he has no spark how are you going to sugget a fuel issue really come on.

Comment

sure

you say hold it but i use a light that goes in between the boot and plug so i dont get shocked. brains before brawn

get a fuel pressure guage and check your fuel pressure before you go beating on your gas tank like a caveman. this will tell you if you have pressure at the rail.

Comment

no worries with being a hack but i guess im more of the professional (your words not mine). you might be able to borrow a fuel pressure guage from your local auto parts store.

there are things and times to be a hack and i just dont do that when trying to diagnose a car.

ive been hit by an msd it doesnt feel good when your arm is numb for 3 days.

Comment

ok so why not check fuel pressure at the rail before you go banging on the gas tank....will that magically give you fuel pressure. im trying to understand your logic.

Comment

ok that was much better than just saying wack the gas tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X