Bubba's Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peewee View Post

The difference between that and a Chevy is, I can still drive it. I know what's wrong, and I need to fix it. But I can still drive it that way.
    .....not........
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

pdub, don't buy a puller, you'll be wasting your money... but then again, watching you buy, then get out a whumper will be entertaining to watch as well.

with that said, you're certain there isn't a hidden fastener?

and here's my bet about what is going on - someone left the emergency brake on or adjusted it incorrectly so that it's worn a groove in the drum. the pad is caught on that groove - been there, done that, cut the rotor off with a torch...
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 30, 2015, 10:30 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I was gonna go take a picture of my puller, but can't pull meself out of my recliner.. Wrecked my back today, out of meds and doc not in till tuesday!
        So.. I'm no help to nobody till thursday at the earliest.

Comment

Hey! If/When you get the shiny new rotors on it will be a GREAT excuse to get some shiny new rims that will let you SEE when the rotors are going away next time. BTW, OF COURSE you checked the fronts, right?
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post

.....not........
            Watch me. Put a camera on me. I can drive the thing thirty thousand miles that way. But I don't want to. I'd much rather fix it. Believe me, I'd much rather have it right. And know it was right. Dadgummit.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              I was gonna go take a picture of my puller, but can't pull meself out of my recliner.. Wrecked my back today, out of meds and doc not in till tuesday!
              So.. I'm no help to nobody till thursday at the earliest.
              DB, I don't have any meds to mail you. Another dadgumit.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

DB, I don't have any meds to mail you. Another dadgumit.
                Best not.. Get both of us ending up in the hoosgow... My daughter will be thrilled to book me

Comment

what dust cover are you talking about? The caliper?

Looks ot me like he's using the caliper mounting holes as the pressure point. Tighten a little, turn the rotor. Tighten a little. Turn the rotor.

it's a shame they don't put a couple of threaded bolt holes 180* apart in that rotor. The first time I saw that was on a Mitsubishi Galant and after fighting with the hubs for about an hour, I called the dealer to ask if they had a puller for it. The guy says "Stick a couple of screws in the bolt holes and it will pop right off." and he was right. Made me feel really dumb.
                  Last edited by Beagle; January 31, 2015, 07:28 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Mazdas had/have bolt holes too but that don't mean it will pop right off. If they are stuck real good you'll strip threads...go ahead and ask how I know.

Made any progress yet PW....I got a one-liner I'm saving, don't make me use it.
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

That dust guard-plate is everywhere the caliper is NOT. There may be one in the photo, I'm trying to imagine it being where I drew the arrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Job.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1004621

In any case, it's not a factor in using the bolts as shown. That's where the only gap in the plate is, where the caliper mounts. Okay Beags....I'll go find some bolts and try that. Today. Before I do it, I really think that thing's stuck tighter than those threads (and maybe the caliper mount bracket itself) will tolerate.

Scott, save your one-liner for later. Don't spend it yet. You'll have plenty of chances. Many chances.

Dang. I thought I was going to have a day off. From WORK. As in .... wait a minute... no, wrenching is FUN. peewee, say that out loud twenty times and you'll believe it.....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....wrenching is FUN....

Comment

Lately I have been bypassing the toy 3# hammers and going right to the sledge for this task. My wrists have started the annoying habit of complaining with lots of hammer work, so I just start with the 15 pounder.

And you know what? It works better, quicker, uses less penetrant stuff, and is easier to aim.

Give that thing some lovin'.
                        Last edited by STINEY; January 31, 2015, 08:59 AM.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

and here's my bet about what is going on - someone left the emergency brake on or adjusted it incorrectly so that it's worn a groove in the drum. the pad is caught on that groove - been there, done that, cut the rotor off with a torch...
                          Gyah-LEE SBG, there's a whole nuther world inside that thing that I've never seen, since I can't get it off. The EB cable is completely slack...I can nearly pull the fitting loose by hand if I was pissed off.....but....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Innards.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1004636

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            pdub, don't buy a puller, you'll be wasting your money... but then again, watching you buy, then get out a whumper will be entertaining to watch as well.

with that said, you're certain there isn't a hidden fastener?

Bingo, I agree with you and from what I've read those set ups if not used regularly ( not many do with Automatic ) all the parts turn into a stuck pile of rust . Peewee you may have tried this but if you can get a brake spoon in the slot at the btm of backing plate and back off the star adjuster, there is also the pins that hold the brake shoes in place that will look like nail heads on back of backing plate that you can shear off with a good chisel. Wish I was nearby!
                            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Daughter's Yukon had the emergency brake shoe pads just fall off. Could ot be the same here? A piece of de-glued brake shoe hanging up?

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                                Wish I was nearby!
                                I sure do wish you were nearby too Perry, all the time. You can't see anything on the backside of the thing causa that dust cover plate. So per Stiney's advice I've given it some loving with a sledgehammer.

Unit's making parts runs because she can because she's doing so extraordinarily well and enjoying doing it as Crew Chief, and I'm imbibing and studying the thing and trying not to cuss. She came home the first time with an exact replacement for the caliper mount bolt. Cool, we'll keep those but we need all-thread for this experiment. And she got a jug of PB. That stuff's different from anything I already had.. So it's soaking on there.

She's gone again to get the right bolts and look at some furniture fixing-up stuff. This might be a day off after all. Worst case, I tear something up so bad, we have to leave Bubba on jack stands in the garage with his ass hanging out in the driveway and we can't close the garage door for a week or two. No worries at Weeville. All worries are invented and imagined.

Comment

Working...
                                X