Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

advice for putting a boat trailer on a car trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice for putting a boat trailer on a car trailer?

took longer than I thought it would, but the city has lost their fascination with my new free boat and requested I put the eyesore out of their eye sight. Easy enough I suppose, except I don't have trailer tags for it and I'm thinking I'll put it on the car trailer. Right.

Any ideas how to load a boat trailer nose in on a car trailer? I thought about the winch but there's really nothing to support the front of the trailer to roll it up the ramp.
    Last edited by Beagle; January 24, 2015, 06:27 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

this needs a tractor trailer...and an ocean liner.

boat trailer to car trailer to tractor trailer, to ocean liner.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Seems like a plank in the middle might do it - but I'm guessing having never done such a thing. Or a screwdriver. Move the plate to the boat trailer - here in NC they don't seem to be very fussy about trailer plates anyhow.

Dan

Comment

back it onto the car trailer - you want the weight on the front of the car trailer anyway.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Seems like a plank in the middle might do it - but I'm guessing having never done such a thing. Or a screwdriver. Move the plate to the boat trailer - here in NC they don't seem to be very fussy about trailer plates anyhow.Dan
          I'm thinking like Dan, I do that all the time and even if you do get stopped it's not a moving violation that would count against your license.
          Last edited by Grumpy; January 24, 2015, 10:06 AM.
          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

I want to see video footage of the actual events taking place.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

take tag from car trailer, put tag on boat trailer - its texas not like they check them, I got a tag for a home built trailer, i swapped that tag between 4 trailers, drug 2 ofthose trailers across country 3 times, never had a issue
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

More common than you know
                Yep, guilty !

Comment

So if the boat is on the car trailer with tags , they are powerless.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR View Post
                    take tag from car trailer, put tag on boat trailer - its texas not like they check them, I got a tag for a home built trailer, i swapped that tag between 4 trailers, drug 2 ofthose trailers across country 3 times, never had a issue
                    the last time I got pulled over with a trailer, they checked as much as they could. It's not like they have serial numbers though. I'm probably making too big a deal out of it but I'm paranoid. I'm also a bit lazy, I'd have to change wheels/tires and rebuild the hubs on the boat trailer because I know nothing about them. The rims are also 5x4.5 and I really don't have any "good" tires for it that I trust... I guess I could put '05 Mustang rims on it if they'll fit in the fenders, probably have to put spacers on them.
                    Last edited by Beagle; January 25, 2015, 03:49 PM.

Comment

My trailer doesn't even have a title, although the plate is tied to the registration and the serial number on the tongue and the empty weight of the trailer determines the rate at which I pay for the tags. I really don't think the state cares that much about it.
                      Stew K.

2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4x4 4.2 L6 Stock DD
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Adopt-A-Whale
                      1988 Chevrolet R30 Custom Deluxe L05 3L80 C&C
                      1974 Chevrolet Corvette 350/TH400 (Garage Art)

Comment

a few years ago my buddy ripped the axle off the boat trailer on the boat ramp..so we had a boat in the water,a trailer with the axle ripped off.we loaded the boat trailer onto my car trailer by hand,then backed my car trailer into the lake and loaded the boat back on the boat trailer that was strapped to my car trailer.. it looked pretty funny and towed really bad because the motor was right on the back end of the trailer'. i know this wont help.but thought id share..

Comment

Sorry to hear about his trailer, but that's Cool!

I'm about 3 miles from lake Lewisville and less likely to get ticketed there than the 90 mile trip to where it's going... hmmm.

Comment

I'm sitting here thinking about it and my big concern has been the tongue heading for the sky if I use that as the winch point. It dawned on me - what if the attachment point for the winch is the axle instead of the tongue? In other words, go over the top of the tongue and rails but grab at the axle.
                            Last edited by Beagle; January 26, 2015, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              I'm sitting here thinking about it and my big concern has been the tongue heading for the sky if I use that as the winch point. It dawned on me - what if the attachment point for the winch is the axle instead of the tongue? In other words, go over the top of the tongue and rails but grab at the axle.

how much is the ticket if you get caught?
                              how much is the ticket if they catch you swapping plates onto the boat trailer from the car trailer for the one-time move?
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X